Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sorting rust

Hi all

I have an old trailer which has a fair amount of surface rust on the chassis where the original paint has come off. I have it propped against a wall now so thought I might as well have a go at fixing it. The floor is also a bit poor so will look to replace that too.

I have been recommended to
- wire brush most of the rust off
- use Kurust on what's left
- cover it all in waxoyl

Any other / better suggestions? I used waxoyl years ago and seem to recall it just stays as a grease like substance. May not work so well on the top surface of the chassis below the new floor as it will squeeze it out and if the floor is wood maybe stain the wood?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 May 2019 10:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

snip

I have been recommended to
- wire brush most of the rust off
- use Kurust on what's left
- cover it all in waxoyl

Any other / better suggestions?

Depending on the level of 'rust' and how 'stripped' the trailer is,
use a flapdisk thing (in an angle grinder), along with a wire brush
(had / drill) to take it back to bare metal and re-paint with a decent
red / grey oxide type primer and a couple of coats of a chassis paint
(or Hammerite if you have some to use up).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Sand blasting then galvanising would be the *best* solution. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

I have been recommended to
- wire brush most of the rust off
- use Kurust on what's left
- cover it all in waxoyl

Any other / better suggestions?

Depending on the level of 'rust' and how 'stripped' the trailer is,
use a flapdisk thing (in an angle grinder), along with a wire brush
(had / drill) to take it back to bare metal and re-paint with a decent
red / grey oxide type primer and a couple of coats of a chassis paint
(or Hammerite if you have some to use up).

I prefer a twisted-wire cup-brush in an angle grinder. Good protective
clothing definitely needed though as wires come off at some speed when
they let go.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

I have been recommended to
- wire brush most of the rust off
- use Kurust on what's left
- cover it all in waxoyl

Any other / better suggestions?

Depending on the level of 'rust' and how 'stripped' the trailer is,
use a flapdisk thing (in an angle grinder), along with a wire brush
(had / drill) to take it back to bare metal and re-paint with a decent
red / grey oxide type primer and a couple of coats of a chassis paint
(or Hammerite if you have some to use up).

I prefer a twisted-wire cup-brush in an angle grinder. Good protective
clothing definitely needed though as wires come off at some speed when
they let go.

Quite. Additionally, whilst they can be very efficient, the 'risk'
(for me anyway and including the wire 'bullets' that have gone though
several layers of clothing) outweighs the advantages.

But then I have watched (then later felt) one catch the ground, fly
into my knee and after going though my jeans, push all the skin up to
one end of the slot ... then after about 30 seconds, start to leak
profusely. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have an old trailer which has a fair amount of surface rust on the chassis
where the original paint has come off. I have it propped against a wall
now so thought I might as well have a go at fixing it. The floor is also
a bit poor so will look to replace that too.

I have been recommended to
- wire brush most of the rust off
- use Kurust on what's left
- cover it all in waxoyl

Any other / better suggestions? I used waxoyl years ago and seem to recall
it just stays as a grease like substance. May not work so well on the top
surface of the chassis below the new floor as it will squeeze it out and
if the floor is wood maybe stain the wood?

My favourite rust treatments are "Vernis pour rouille" and "Owatrol"
which are fairly similar products. They are like a clear varnish that
you paint directly onto rusty metal. You only have to remove really
loose rust. They even advise that a little bit of rust is *necessary*
for them to work properly. You can paint over them with ordinary
paint if required.

They seem much more available and popular in France (etc.) but I think
you can get Owatrol in the UK.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have been recommended to
- wire brush most of the rust off
- use Kurust on what's left
- cover it all in waxoyl

Any other / better suggestions?

Depending on the level of 'rust' and how 'stripped' the trailer is,
use a flapdisk thing (in an angle grinder), along with a wire brush
(had / drill) to take it back to bare metal and re-paint with a decent
red / grey oxide type primer and a couple of coats of a chassis paint
(or Hammerite if you have some to use up).

I prefer a twisted-wire cup-brush in an angle grinder. Good protective
clothing definitely needed though as wires come off at some speed when
they let go.

SteveW

A wire disc in an angel grinder gives the greatest linear speed & thus rust removing ability & speed. Cup brush comes 2nd.

OP options are to grease it somehow (oil, oil & wax or brand products) or strip & paint, or both.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 May 2019 20:33:35 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

Sounds much like Jenolite (UK) which is what I use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

I thought Jenolite was a rust remover - maybe they make more than on
product.

A quick search seems to confirm what I thought, Jenolite is a rust
remover or rust converter.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2019 18:21, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have an old trailer which has a fair amount of surface rust on the chassis where the original paint has come off. I have it propped against a wall now so thought I might as well have a go at fixing it. The floor is also a bit poor so will look to replace that too.

I have been recommended to
- wire brush most of the rust off
- use Kurust on what's left
- cover it all in waxoyl

Any other / better suggestions? I used waxoyl years ago and seem to recall it just stays as a grease like substance. May not work so well on the top surface of the chassis below the new floor as it will squeeze it out and if the floor is wood maybe stain the wood?

Phosphoric acid is a rust converter and probably much cheaper than a
branded product. Available on Ebay at various strengths and quantities.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

A lot of these products are phosphoric acid based with a few additives to
turn that into a proprietary product tailored for the end use. Products
for Rust conversion will have a fairly large proportion of acid,
Others like Coca-Cola where it is used as a flavouring will only have a
small amount.

Phosphoric acid can be purchased a lot cheaper than the branded products if
you have a suitable supplier like an agricultural supplier near
by,unfortunately delivery charges may skew the economics if you havent.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland wrote:

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

Yes, but my suggestions of "Vernis pour rouille" and "Owatrol" are
quite different, they are not rust converters or anything like that,
they simply penetrate the surface of lightly rusted metal very well
and seal it completely. I've used them quite a lot on our canal boat
in France and on odd bits of ironware at home and I've found them
pretty effective. They certainly seem to work better than any of the
'galvanising' primer sorts of paints I've tried.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Yes, but my suggestions of "Vernis pour rouille" and "Owatrol" are
quite different, they are not rust converters or anything like that,
they simply penetrate the surface of lightly rusted metal very well and
seal it completely. I've used them quite a lot on our canal boat in
France and on odd bits of ironware at home and I've found them pretty
effective. They certainly seem to work better than any of the
'galvanising' primer sorts of paints I've tried.

I have used "Owatrol" in the past, and agree it was far better than the
galvanising -type primers.

Alternatively, I have used a rust converter on my trailer and then
overpainted with some epoxy-based paint I had spare. This seems to have
worked reasonably well.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland Wrote in message:

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

eBay is your friend...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Sorting gravel from soil? N8N Home Repair 22 April 10th 07 11:50 AM
Sorting dip in garage roof andy UK diy 0 October 5th 06 01:55 PM
Sorting out that DRIP at home - from the horse's mouth [email protected] Home Repair 9 July 24th 06 01:06 AM
Sorting discs by weight Dave Hinz Metalworking 13 April 19th 06 05:14 PM
Sorting & storage of Capacitors west Electronics 0 July 28th 05 04:22 PM