Old April 9th 07, 03:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Sorting gravel from soil?

Hi all,

I've started to clean off my driveway - the previous owners of my
house were kind of eco-nuts, and didn't use it. They apparently put
down wood chips on the driveway and let them decompose, which makes
great topsoil, but there's already 12" or more of good topsoil over
the whole property so I don't need any more. I've already given away
quite a bit, but there's a lot more left to go until the whole
driveway is uncovered.

My problem is this; I think I've already gotten through all the "easy
pickins" - the one large pile that remains seems to have a lot of
gravel and rock mixed in with it, like at some point there was a
gravel mulched flowerbed that got covered over. I'd like to somehow
separate the topsoil from the gravel so I could use the gravel and
rocks rather than having to give the whole mess away as "fill dirt."
I'm envisioning some kind of coarse screening - window screen is too
fine - is there something readily available that would let me sift
this quickly? Maybe even something that I could rent for a couple of
days? What would I ask for?

thanks,

nate

(uncovered almost eight feet more of driveway this weekend, only
another 16 or so to go!)

Old April 9th 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

There a misnamed product called hardware cloth which is not cloth at all,
but metal mesh with 1/4" square holes, perfect for sifting soil. Call some
real hardware or farm supply stores. You'll have to build a frame out of
wood and staple or screw the cloth to it. Your imagination should tell you
the details.

Old April 9th 07, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.umaine.edu/sustainability/images/Compos5.jpg

Old April 9th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"jim menning" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

There a misnamed product called hardware cloth which is not cloth at all,
but metal mesh with 1/4" square holes, perfect for sifting soil. Call
some real hardware or farm supply stores. You'll have to build a frame
out of wood and staple or screw the cloth to it. Your imagination should
tell you the details.

http://www.umaine.edu/sustainability/images/Compos5.jpg

Bingo! The contestant from somewhere wins 3 cases of virtual beer and 1200
bags of Fritos!

Old April 9th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 9, 9:47 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"jim menning" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

There a misnamed product called hardware cloth which is not cloth at all,
but metal mesh with 1/4" square holes, perfect for sifting soil. Call
some real hardware or farm supply stores. You'll have to build a frame
out of wood and staple or screw the cloth to it. Your imagination should
tell you the details.

http://www.umaine.edu/sustainability/images/Compos5.jpg

Bingo! The contestant from somewhere wins 3 cases of virtual beer and 1200
bags of Fritos!

Thanks guys, that is perfect, I just didn't know what it was called.
That'll help quite a bit!

nate

Old April 9th 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 9, 9:47 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"jim menning" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

There a misnamed product called hardware cloth which is not cloth at
all,
but metal mesh with 1/4" square holes, perfect for sifting soil. Call
some real hardware or farm supply stores. You'll have to build a frame
out of wood and staple or screw the cloth to it. Your imagination
should
tell you the details.

http://www.umaine.edu/sustainability/images/Compos5.jpg

Bingo! The contestant from somewhere wins 3 cases of virtual beer and
1200
bags of Fritos!

Thanks guys, that is perfect, I just didn't know what it was called.
That'll help quite a bit!

nate

Duh. It's called a thing, obviously.

Old April 9th 07, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" writes:

"N8N" wrote in message
[...]

I've done something similar to get the dirt out of a lot of
3/8 inch marble chips.

Made the box myself, it's not hard.

My advice, throw the stuff out, it's not worth the effort.
Old April 9th 07, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 6:47 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"jim menning" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

There a misnamed product called hardware cloth which is not cloth at all,
but metal mesh with 1/4" square holes, perfect for sifting soil. Call
some real hardware or farm supply stores. You'll have to build a frame
out of wood and staple or screw the cloth to it. Your imagination should
tell you the details.

http://www.umaine.edu/sustainability/images/Compos5.jpg

Bingo! The contestant from somewhere wins 3 cases of virtual beer and 1200
bags of Fritos!

Useful for a lot of things. Bottoms of rabbit cages (holes could be a
bit larger for that purpose),

Screening cat litter - I cut the bottom out of a half-height plastic
bucket and inserted a circle of hardware cloth. Set over empty bucket
and pour the litter through it. Of course you throw the lumps away

Screen for my downspout drain. Another circle in the "funnel" leading
to the underground drain line. Just pick it up once/year and dump all
the leaves/trash rather than having them go down the drain to
eventually plug it up.

Harry K

Old April 9th 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If you build such a screener, you can use 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardware cloth
wire depending on how fine you want to screen the dirt. I have used expanded
wire (stucco or plaster) lath and found the sharp edges help to clean the
material. Don't build a square that you have to shake by hand, build it on a
slope and long enough so that a wheelbarrow can fit under it to catch the
bulk of the good soil. The screen on a slope, about a 45 degree angle, will
allow you to shovel the material onto the top area and allow gravity to pull
in down the screen cleaning the material with the gravel dropping off the
bottom. If the material is sticky you may need to shovel it back over the
screen a few times to get it cleaner.

Shaking a sieve or screen by hand is backbreaking and very slow. Shovelling
on a slanted screen is easy especially if a wheelbarrow can catch much of
the good soil. You will be able to much more work with less effort.

I have used one for hundreds of wheelbarrow loads cleaning old junk, rocks
and roots from good soil for my gardens.

oups.com...

Old April 9th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

The back of a straight metal rake works well, too.

Sorting dip in garage roof andy UK diy 0 October 5th 06 02:55 PM
Sorting out that DRIP at home - from the horse's mouth [email protected] Home Repair 9 July 24th 06 02:06 AM
Sorting discs by weight Dave Hinz Metalworking 13 April 19th 06 06:14 PM
Sorting & storage of Capacitors west Electronics 0 July 28th 05 05:22 PM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 10:49 PM