Old June 1st 19, 09:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Consumer Units with RCBOs

On 01/06/2019 08:17, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 03:24:56 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 31/05/2019 15:42, [email protected] wrote:
On 31/05/2019 08:52, PeterC wrote:

Next door had the same problem. He used just steel capping and RCD so
that
it's all covered by just the plaster. As in my house, some runs are
not in
Safe Zones - but do go to sockets or switches and are all vertical or
horizontal. Should be easy to detect - a decent magnet would do it!

They are in safe zones then as they extended from switches and sockets
in the vertical and horizontal directions.

Yup, like in the pictures:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lectric_cables

But some aren't within 150mm of edges.

But you said they were vertical and horizontal not bent.

Old June 1st 19, 01:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 09:15:11 +0100, [email protected] wrote:

On 01/06/2019 08:17, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 03:24:56 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 31/05/2019 15:42, [email protected] wrote:
On 31/05/2019 08:52, PeterC wrote:

Next door had the same problem. He used just steel capping and RCD so
that
it's all covered by just the plaster. As in my house, some runs are
not in
Safe Zones - but do go to sockets or switches and are all vertical or
horizontal. Should be easy to detect - a decent magnet would do it!

They are in safe zones then as they extended from switches and sockets
in the vertical and horizontal directions.

Yup, like in the pictures:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lectric_cables

But some aren't within 150mm of edges.

But you said they were vertical and horizontal not bent.

They are straight but not within 150mm of an edge.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old June 1st 19, 02:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/06/2019 13:23, PeterC wrote:
[...]

The wiki article gives the definition of the 3 safe zones. The cables
only need to be in one of them. They may if needed use 2 or all 3 of them.

--
Adam
Old June 1st 19, 03:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

They don't need to be...

A safe (or in this context a better word might be "expected") zone is
one of three separate and distinct areas:

1) Horizontally or vertically intersecting with the location of a
visible electrical accessory. Hence the position of the zone is not a
fixed place, but is defined by where the accessory actually is. So if
you see a socket you know not to drill directly above, below, or to
either side of it. That socket might be 2m from the nearest corner - but
it still defines a zone around it.

2) At the intersection of two vertical walls - this applies even if
there is no visible accessory. So don't go drilling in the corner beside
a chimney breast even if you can't see a switch or socket.

3) At the intersection between wall and ceiling.

Basically, if installing cables, they need to be in a least one of these
zones. They can be in more than one, but there is no benefit or
requirement for this. Hence avoid running cables at odd angles, or
changing direction of them mid run.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old June 1st 19, 04:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2019 11:12, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

On a plain reading that seems to mean one can't use the zone defined by
a socket, switch etc to run a cable that's /not/ connected to a socket
etc in the zone but is just "passing through" on the way to another
room, a garage or wherever.

Surely not. The whole point of the safe zones is to indicate
where it is safe to run the "just passing through" cable
because these zones coul;d equally be designated danger zomnes
when it comes to drilling holes, etc.

Iy you took a different route for the cable avoiding these
zones there is nothing to indicate where the cable runs,
making it particularly vulnerable.

My point was that IMO the regulation doesn't actually say what it is
generally taken to.

I'm happy to be guided to how to be read it so the zones created by an
accessory etc on the wall apply to a cable that is not connected to it.
The only way I can see is to read "the" as "any" so it becomes:

"Where /any/ cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on
any surface of the wall or partition, /any/ cable may be installed in a
zone either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or
switchgear."

But if so, WTF don't they say that in the first place? Reading "the" to
include "any" is not normal. (And still means fitting an accessory with
nothing connected to it does not create safe zones.)
..

--
Robin
Old June 1st 19, 05:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I am a very strong advocate of DIY by competent DIYers but sometimes we
all need to recognise when it is best to "get someone in", perhaps this
is a case when that would be wise. Please don't flame me for making the
suggestion.
Old June 1st 19, 05:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 1 June 2019 17:14:10 UTC+1, wrote:

I am a very strong advocate of DIY by competent DIYers but sometimes we
all need to recognise when it is best to "get someone in",

Yes. But that only happens on occasion

perhaps this
is a case when that would be wise. Please don't flame me for making the
suggestion.

I'm firing up the barbie. Seriously, installing cable in walls is not difficult.

NT
Old June 1st 19, 07:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the worst areas I see in the home where cables are not in the sage zones is on the kitchen and more specifically for the cooker.

Typically the cable going to the cooker isolation switch is in safe zones.

There is typically a cooker cable junction box in the wall behind the cooker.

Then there is a short run of cable from the cooker isolation switch to the cooker cable junction box and it's always diagonal! I have never seen a vertical and horizontal cable run between the isolation switch and junction box.....

Adding RCBOs to Wyler Split Load CU [email protected] UK diy 13 February 7th 18 06:50 PM
Thoughts on fitting RCBOs Bill UK diy 73 April 22nd 14 06:34 PM
Why do some RCBOs have an earth wire and some don't? Stephen H UK diy 1 February 19th 13 09:24 PM
RCBOs and Clipsal Box TheScullster UK diy 6 January 24th 09 09:04 AM
RCBOs - the wiggly blue madness! [email protected] UK diy 6 October 20th 08 11:37 PM