Old February 5th 18, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding RCBOs to Wyler Split Load CU

Hi All,

I have a Wyler 12 way split load CU (NHrS12SL).

For various reasons, I will be having a qualified sparky do the work, but wanted to check my options...

Currently our CU has most of the power circuits on the RCD side, and 3 lighting circuits (which could maybe be reduced to 2 (combine the 2 downstairs circuits into 1 (it’s not a mansion). And the immersion is also on the non RCD side.

I am thinking it is time to give at least the lighting circuits RCD protection, but would like to avoid the cost of a new
Box (which would allow 2 RCDs).

Could this be done by replacing the MCBs on the non-RCD side with RCBOs, and could these be as slim as the existing MCBs? Or would it need the double width type?

Any suggestions as to which circuits to put where (without doing too much messing, or we might as well go for a new box). Current setup is 3 power radials, one ring main, cooker and a spare 32 A (which might eventually feed a second mini ring for the kitchen) on the RCD side, and as noted above, 3 lighting and 1 immersion heater on the Non-RCD.

Old February 5th 18, 01:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Currently our CU has most of the power circuits on the RCD side, and 3
lighting circuits (which could maybe be reduced to 2 (combine the 2
downstairs circuits into 1 (it‘s not a mansion).

Generally, the more circuits the better. Can give you some at least
working light when another fails.

I like to have the hall/stairs lighting on its own circuit. If that trips
you can use lights from a room to see your exit, etc.

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 5th 18, 01:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 10:33, wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Wyler 12 way split load CU (NHrS12SL).

For various reasons, I will be having a qualified sparky do the work,
but wanted to check my options...

Currently our CU has most of the power circuits on the RCD side, and
3 lighting circuits (which could maybe be reduced to 2 (combine the 2
downstairs circuits into 1 (it’s not a mansion). And the immersion is
also on the non RCD side.

I am thinking it is time to give at least the lighting circuits RCD
protection, but would like to avoid the cost of a new Box (which
would allow 2 RCDs).

Any particular reason for wanting to change? Lighting circuits generally
pose a very low shock risk, so the benefit from a RCD is limited for
that application.

Could this be done by replacing the MCBs on the non-RCD side with
RCBOs,

Yes

and could these be as slim as the existing MCBs? Or would it
need the double width type?

Wylex do single module RCBOs, so as long as there is enough height in
that CU (RCBOs are taller than MCBs) you should be fine.

Any suggestions as to which circuits to put where (without doing too
much messing, or we might as well go for a new box). Current setup is
3 power radials, one ring main, cooker and a spare 32 A (which might
eventually feed a second mini ring for the kitchen) on the RCD side,
and as noted above, 3 lighting and 1 immersion heater on the
Non-RCD.

If I were adding anything, I would do a RCBO on the non RCD side for the
kitchen, and leave the rest as it is.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |
Old February 5th 18, 02:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:28:04 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/02/2018 10:33, wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Wyler 12 way split load CU (NHrS12SL).

For various reasons, I will be having a qualified sparky do the work,
but wanted to check my options...

Currently our CU has most of the power circuits on the RCD side, and
3 lighting circuits (which could maybe be reduced to 2 (combine the 2
downstairs circuits into 1 (it’s not a mansion). And the immersion is
also on the non RCD side.

I am thinking it is time to give at least the lighting circuits RCD
protection, but would like to avoid the cost of a new Box (which
would allow 2 RCDs).

Any particular reason for wanting to change?

The electrican who has been making ammendments to one of the existing lighting circuits saus that he HAS to put it on RCD in order for it to be regs compliant.

I wondereed about doing all the lighting circuits while I was about it. Wylex "say" that all circuts run under plaster should be RCD protected (well, they would wouldn't they), and if possible I'd rather not have all the lights go out together, so a bunch of RCBOs on the non RCD side seems attractive.

Lighting circuits generally
pose a very low shock risk, so the benefit from a RCD is limited for
that application.

Could this be done by replacing the MCBs on the non-RCD side with
RCBOs,

Yes

and could these be as slim as the existing MCBs? Or would it
need the double width type?

Wylex do single module RCBOs, so as long as there is enough height in
that CU (RCBOs are taller than MCBs) you should be fine.

Any suggestions as to which circuits to put where (without doing too
much messing, or we might as well go for a new box). Current setup is
3 power radials, one ring main, cooker and a spare 32 A (which might
eventually feed a second mini ring for the kitchen) on the RCD side,
and as noted above, 3 lighting and 1 immersion heater on the
Non-RCD.

If I were adding anything, I would do a RCBO on the non RCD side for the
kitchen, and leave the rest as it is.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Cheers John
Old February 5th 18, 02:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 10:33, wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure there's any real upside to putting other lighting on RCDs.

Lighting circuits generally
pose a very low shock risk, so the benefit from a RCD is limited for
that application.

NT

Old February 5th 18, 03:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Wyler 12 way split load CU (NHrS12SL).

For various reasons, I will be having a qualified sparky do the
work, but wanted to check my options...

Currently our CU has most of the power circuits on the RCD side,
and 3 lighting circuits (which could maybe be reduced to 2
(combine the 2 downstairs circuits into 1 (it’s not a mansion).
And the immersion is also on the non RCD side.

I am thinking it is time to give at least the lighting circuits
RCD protection, but would like to avoid the cost of a new Box
(which would allow 2 RCDs).

Any particular reason for wanting to change?

The electrican who has been making ammendments to one of the existing
lighting circuits saus that he HAS to put it on RCD in order for it
to be regs compliant.

Interesting, this is an existing circuit and I thought an 'extension' or
'spur' was exempt from having to conform to the new regs.

Not that its a bad thing to move the circuit such it becomes RCD protected.

I wondereed about doing all the lighting circuits while I was about
it. Wylex "say" that all circuts run under plaster should be RCD
protected (well, they would wouldn't they), and if possible I'd
rather not have all the lights go out together, so a bunch of RCBOs
on the non RCD side seems attractive.

Rules now dictate that lighting must be split into at least two separate
RCD protected circuits, so if one fails the other can still provide some
lighting.

Wylex are correct for 'new' installations, where a cable is buried less
than 50mm from a surface. Surface wiring does not need a RCD, nor wiring
that is sufficiently mechanically protected, nor armoured cable.
Old February 5th 18, 04:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Wyler 12 way split load CU (NHrS12SL).

For various reasons, I will be having a qualified sparky do the
work, but wanted to check my options...

Currently our CU has most of the power circuits on the RCD side,
and 3 lighting circuits (which could maybe be reduced to 2
(combine the 2 downstairs circuits into 1 (it’s not a mansion).
And the immersion is also on the non RCD side.

I am thinking it is time to give at least the lighting circuits
RCD protection, but would like to avoid the cost of a new Box
(which would allow 2 RCDs).

Any particular reason for wanting to change?

The electrican who has been making ammendments to one of the existing
lighting circuits saus that he HAS to put it on RCD in order for it
to be regs compliant.

Ah, ok did not realise you were altering the existing circuits. If
making changes then yup they generally ought to be to the new rules.

(although I have at the back of my mind some guidance about this not
being an absolute requirement for some instances of lighting
circumstances - i.e. the requirement only takes force for significant
alterations to the circuit)

I wondereed about doing all the lighting circuits while I was about
it. Wylex "say" that all circuts run under plaster should be RCD
protected (well, they would wouldn't they),

They would, because they should. i.e. its not the fact that its a
lighting circuit that matters, its the fact it has unprotected cables
buried less than 50mm into walls.

and if possible I'd
rather not have all the lights go out together, so a bunch of RCBOs
on the non RCD side seems attractive.

Yup, you certainly want lighting spread over more than one circuit.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |
Old February 5th 18, 04:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It can get interesting when the up and down circuits share a neutral,
generally on the landing light.

Old February 5th 18, 05:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 16:19, Steve wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Yup, although that in itself is a fault that should be fixed since it
brings a shock risk all of its own.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |
Old February 5th 18, 06:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 17:11:32 +0000
John Rumm wrote:

On 05/02/2018 16:19, Steve wrote:

It can get interesting when the up and down circuits share a
neutral, generally on the landing light.

Yup, although that in itself is a fault that should be fixed since it
brings a shock risk all of its own.

Yeah, a Code 2 (page 14):

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ce-Guide-4.pdf

Often not discovered until you attempt to put the circuits on separate
RCDs.

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs Bill UK diy 73 April 22nd 14 06:34 PM
Why do some RCBOs have an earth wire and some don't? Stephen H UK diy 1 February 19th 13 09:24 PM
RCBOs and Clipsal Box TheScullster UK diy 6 January 24th 09 09:04 AM
RCBOs - the wiggly blue madness! [email protected] UK diy 6 October 20th 08 11:37 PM
Volex or GE split load consumer unit? Kalico UK diy 4 November 4th 03 12:25 PM