Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding RCBOs to Wyler Split Load CU

On Monday, 5 February 2018 14:18:48 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:28:04 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/02/2018 10:33, wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Wyler 12 way split load CU (NHrS12SL).

For various reasons, I will be having a qualified sparky do the work,
but wanted to check my options...

Currently our CU has most of the power circuits on the RCD side, and
3 lighting circuits (which could maybe be reduced to 2 (combine the 2
downstairs circuits into 1 (its not a mansion). And the immersion is
also on the non RCD side.

I am thinking it is time to give at least the lighting circuits RCD
protection, but would like to avoid the cost of a new Box (which
would allow 2 RCDs).

Any particular reason for wanting to change?

The electrican who has been making ammendments to one of the existing lighting circuits saus that he HAS to put it on RCD in order for it to be regs compliant.

I wondereed about doing all the lighting circuits while I was about it. Wylex "say" that all circuts run under plaster should be RCD protected (well, they would wouldn't they), and if possible I'd rather not have all the lights go out together, so a bunch of RCBOs on the non RCD side seems attractive.

I'm not sure there's any real upside to putting other lighting on RCDs.

Lighting circuits generally
pose a very low shock risk, so the benefit from a RCD is limited for
that application.

NT