Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Consumer Units with RCBOs

On 02/06/2019 14:42, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/06/2019 08:34, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 17:14:06 +0100, wrote:

On 01/06/2019 13:23, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 09:15:11 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 01/06/2019 08:17, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 03:24:56 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 31/05/2019 15:42, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/05/2019 08:52, PeterC wrote:

Next door had the same problem. He used just steel capping and
RCD so
that
it's all covered by just the plaster. As in my house, some runs
are
not in
Safe Zones - but do go to sockets or switches and are all
vertical or
horizontal. Should be easy to detect - a decent magnet would do
it!

They are in safe zones then as they extended from switches and
sockets
in the vertical and horizontal directions.

Yup, like in the pictures:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lectric_cables

But some aren't within 150mm of edges.

But you said they were vertical and horizontal not bent.

They are straight but not within 150mm of an edge.

I am a very strong advocate of DIY by competent DIYers but sometimes we
all need to recognise when it is best to "get someone in", perhaps this
is a case when that would be wise. Please don't flame me for making the
suggestion.

These were done by the original electricians.
Next door had a shower pump taken from the lighting circuit that is on a
100mA RCD; that was done by a 'qualified' electrician (domestic and
commercial).

Depending on the circumstances, that may be a sensible design decision.

The use of the 100mA RCD might be because the earthing system is TT and
hence all circuits needed to be RCD protected (even in days before this
was common) to ensure disconnection in the event of an earth fault.

If the pump is in a bathroom, there are quite possibly no other
electrical circuits available near by, and the load from a pump is only
likely to be a few hundred watts - so it will not stretch the supply.
That's the same reason other small loads in bathrooms like extractor
fans or shaver sockets are often fed from a lighting circuit.

Most shower pumps require a 30mA RCD supply.

--
Adam