Old May 15th 19, 05:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Consumer Units with RCBOs

Screwfix have a BG 12 module CU with 6 RCBOs on offer for £69.99. At that price it is a steal so I am thinking of getting 2, one for the main house CU and I know it is overkill but one for the garage. I do want discrimination in the garage with 2 lighting circuits one for the main garage/workshop and one for the separated mancave, likewise 2 ring mains and all the outside lights will also be run off the garage CU.

The question is connecting the garage CU to the house CU? In the 17th edition wiki article the CU arrangement for a fully RCBO populated CU shows an MCB being used for the garage using SWA. In my case that will not be possible as the cable between CUs will be T&E with approx. 2m run in a wall chase. Is there any reason why the garage circuit cannot be protected by an RCBO at the house CU even though there will be further RCBOs for the separate garage/Mancave circuits?

Richard

Old May 15th 19, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 17:15:35 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I do want discrimination in the garage ...
Is there any reason why the garage circuit cannot be protected by
an RCBO at the house CU

Yes, discrimination.

AFAICS no time-delay / 100mA RCDs are available as RCBOs, so you'd need to allow for a 2-module time-delay RCD and an MCB for the garage - if they're available in BG.

Also someone will hopefully clarify whether 100mA time-delay is acceptable for protecting buried cable.

Owain
Old May 15th 19, 05:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2019 17:15, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Screwfix have a BG 12 module CU

sadly out of stock around here (well, the 6 nearest - I gave up at that
point)

--
Robin
Old May 15th 19, 05:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If it uses the same sort of RCBO it will probably trip if there is a
fault on one of the garage circuits.

You need one that trips slower and/or higher leakage to avoid this.
Old May 15th 19, 07:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Just checked the stock at Screwfix and none of the stores have any available so it's back to the drawing board. There is a similar one available at £99.99 with mini RCBOs but it gets a poor review from an electrician.

Richard
Old May 15th 19, 11:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Yup, you will lose discrimination.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old May 16th 19, 08:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 17:15:35 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Screwfix have a BG 12 module CU with 6 RCBOs on offer for £69.99.
At that price it is a steal

If you don't mind an RCD board (with the option of some high integrity RCBOs) this is better than a steal

https://www.switchgeardirect.co.uk/p...ory/clearance/

16 way dual RCD, your choice of MCBs, £50 inc.

Owain

Old May 16th 19, 11:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
scribeth thus
On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 17:15:35 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Screwfix have a BG 12 module CU with 6 RCBOs on offer for 69.99.
At that price it is a steal

If you don't mind an RCD board (with the option of some high integrity RCBOs)
this is better than a steal

https://www.switchgeardirect.co.uk/p...ory/clearance/

16 way dual RCD, your choice of MCBs, 50 inc.

Owain

Have TLC electrical not got any, we had a couple from them a while ago?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ex/BG_Consumer
_Units/index.html
--
Tony Sayer

Old May 16th 19, 12:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 May 2019 11:43:15 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
https://www.switchgeardirect.co.uk/p...ory/clearance/
16 way dual RCD, your choice of MCBs, £50 inc.

Have TLC electrical not got any, we had a couple from them a while ago?

Their 16 way only comes with 12 MCBs, their choice not yours, and is £68 + delivery + VAT.

Owain

Adding RCBOs to Wyler Split Load CU [email protected] UK diy 13 February 7th 18 06:50 PM
Thoughts on fitting RCBOs Bill UK diy 73 April 22nd 14 06:34 PM
Why do some RCBOs have an earth wire and some don't? Stephen H UK diy 1 February 19th 13 09:24 PM
RCBOs and Clipsal Box TheScullster UK diy 6 January 24th 09 09:04 AM
RCBOs - the wiggly blue madness! [email protected] UK diy 6 October 20th 08 11:37 PM