Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Consumer Units with RCBOs

On 15/05/2019 17:15, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Screwfix have a BG 12 module CU with 6 RCBOs on offer for £69.99. At
that price it is a steal so I am thinking of getting 2, one for the
main house CU and I know it is overkill but one for the garage. I do
want discrimination in the garage with 2 lighting circuits one for
the main garage/workshop and one for the separated mancave, likewise
2 ring mains and all the outside lights will also be run off the
garage CU.

The question is connecting the garage CU to the house CU? In the 17th
edition wiki article the CU arrangement for a fully RCBO populated CU
shows an MCB being used for the garage using SWA. In my case that
will not be possible as the cable between CUs will be T&E with
approx. 2m run in a wall chase. Is there any reason why the garage
circuit cannot be protected by an RCBO at the house CU even though
there will be further RCBOs for the separate garage/Mancave
circuits?

Yup, you will lose discrimination.

--
Cheers,