Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower Screen Wall support

Planning a shower and I am concerned about the usual bracket / rod that
goes from the top of a glass shower screen to the adjacent wall. That wall
is plasterboard (no timber - just plasterboard sandwich) and I am worried
that if my slightly wobbly wife stumbled into the screen then the wall
would not take the strain and it would pull out and damage the wall.

I was wondering about two rods - at an angle to form a Vee and attached
into the ceiling joists.

Any thoughts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

I was wondering about two rods - at an angle to form a Vee and attached
into the ceiling joists.

Sounds reasonable, you could lash up from various parts, e.g.

https://www.kerolhardware.co.uk/shower-stabiliser-bar.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If she is wobbly would it not be best to make a hand rail anyway, at a more
convenient level?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:

I was wondering about two rods - at an angle to form a Vee and attached
into the ceiling joists.

Sounds reasonable, you could lash up from various parts, e.g.

https://www.kerolhardware.co.uk/shower-stabiliser-bar.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

If she is wobbly would it not be best to make a hand rail anyway, at a
more convenient level?
Brian

I agree Brian - my plasterboard walls are my concern with that as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 23:17, DerbyBorn wrote:
Planning a shower and I am concerned about the usual bracket / rod that
goes from the top of a glass shower screen to the adjacent wall. That wall
is plasterboard (no timber - just plasterboard sandwich) and I am worried
that if my slightly wobbly wife stumbled into the screen then the wall
would not take the strain and it would pull out and damage the wall.

I was wondering about two rods - at an angle to form a Vee and attached
into the ceiling joists.

Any thoughts?

One of ours looks a bit like this...

https://flush-bathrooms.co.uk/produc...-chrome-gac007

....just a pole from floor (tray actually) to ceiling with a slot for the
glass.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of ours looks a bit like this...

https://flush-bathrooms.co.uk/produc...-ceiling-suppo
rt-pole-max-2800mm-high-8mm-glass-chrome-gac007

...just a pole from floor (tray actually) to ceiling with a slot for
the glass.

Cheers

Great idea. How is it attached to the tray?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:

One of ours looks a bit like this...

https://flush-bathrooms.co.uk/produc...-ceiling-suppo
rt-pole-max-2800mm-high-8mm-glass-chrome-gac007

...just a pole from floor (tray actually) to ceiling with a slot for
the glass.

Cheers

Great idea. How is it attached to the tray?

Some sort of screw down ferrule that the pole slots into?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 14:34, DerbyBorn wrote:

One of ours looks a bit like this...

https://flush-bathrooms.co.uk/produc...-ceiling-suppo
rt-pole-max-2800mm-high-8mm-glass-chrome-gac007

...just a pole from floor (tray actually) to ceiling with a slot for
the glass.

Cheers

Great idea. How is it attached to the tray?

There's a plastic 'cup' it sits in. I don't know how that is attached,
but it has silicone around it and I guess it must be screwed through the
tray - it's on the raised edge of the tray obviously.

Cheers
--
Clive