Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Land Rover discovery 2 td5 three amigos

my 2003 td5 discovery 2 has developed the three amigos problem.Â*
I've been through the various chief culprits as expounded on you tube and landy groups i.e. wheel sensors, shuttle valve switch, shuttle valve switch internal connector plug bypass without success. Having interrogated the abs with a plug in diagnostic box it tells me there is a reference earth fault..Â*
I googled the 3 amigos and whilst the landygroups mention it bitterly no one seems to have gone deeper than sensors or switch connections.Â*
I'm hoping someone here has had the same problem and can suggest where the earth reference point would be connected before I make a journey to the local reference library in the hope they have a detailed service manual.Â*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interesting thought but I think the brake switch might only operate the brake lights. Trouble with my particular model it's got too many complications for what should be a workhorse.
From what I've gleaned so far the abs valve block contains two microswitches in series which operate when fluid pressure is applied. The two n.o. switches have internal shunt resistors so no pressure yields 4k ohms, one or both switches operating yields 2 or 1 k and this is connected to a unit hidden within the car that also reads wheel rotation speed and calculates which brake cylinder to preferentially apply fluid pressure to.
The reference earth I'm guessing relates to the state of the valve block pressure switches but how it measures seems to be the crux of the matter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2019 19:19, Cynic wrote:
Interesting thought but I think the brake switch might only operate
the brake lights.

Not on freelander., Another terminal that cancels cruise control and I
think switches on ABS

Very easy to renove and test.

And very cheap to replace.

Trouble with my particular model it's got too many
complications for what should be a workhorse. From what I've gleaned
so far the abs valve block contains two microswitches in series which
operate when fluid pressure is applied. The two n.o. switches have
internal shunt resistors so no pressure yields 4k ohms, one or both
switches operating yields 2 or 1 k and this is connected to a unit
hidden within the car that also reads wheel rotation speed and
calculates which brake cylinder to preferentially apply fluid
pressure to. The reference earth I'm guessing relates to the state of
the valve block pressure switches but how it measures seems to be the
crux of the matter.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2019 18:57, Cynic wrote:
my 2003 td5 discovery 2 has developed the three amigos problem.
I've been through the various chief culprits as expounded on you tube and landy groups i.e. wheel sensors, shuttle valve switch, shuttle valve switch internal connector plug bypass without success. Having interrogated the abs with a plug in diagnostic box it tells me there is a reference earth fault.
I googled the 3 amigos and whilst the landygroups mention it bitterly no one seems to have gone deeper than sensors or switch connections.
I'm hoping someone here has had the same problem and can suggest where the earth reference point would be connected before I make a journey to the local reference library in the hope they have a detailed service manual.

I've never looked for Landies, but eBay is a good source of pirated full
service manuals on CD, for a pretty nominal price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 19:24:47 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Interesting thought but I think the brake switch might only

operate
the brake lights.

Not on freelander.,

We is talking Disco II not Freelander...

Another terminal that cancels cruise control and I think switches on ABS

Having said that, from memory of owning two Disco II's I don't think
any of the switches directly control the device/system they are
related to. They all go through "computer" somewhere which then
controls the device/system according to its programing and other
inputs.

Not quite sure what the "three amigoes" are. Is that when the
traction control, ABS and diff lock light all come on? Check the diff
lock switch (and connections) on the transfer box. For obvious
reasons the traction control/ABS computer throws a hissy fit if it
thinks the diff lock is engaged.

Yes, some Disco II's had transfer boxes with a center diff lock in
the transfer box. You could crawl underneath with a 10 mm spanner and
engage it if you wanted to...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No diff lock on this model. The three amigos are hill descent, traction control and abs lights.
Since posting I've been advised the abs ecu is located behind the passenger side dash panel and there's an earth point located near it. Seems I've got some gymnastics to encounter to access the unit. I wish I was as flexible as I was twenty years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 04:51:34 -0700 (PDT), Cynic wrote:

No diff lock on this model.

Maybe not on the transfer box Hi/Lo shift lever but the gubbins can
still be in the transfer box and the diff lock switch.

The three amigos are hill descent, traction control and abs lights.

I had that a couple of times but I have a feeling it was knackered
wheel sensors, so new hub time. B-(

--
Cheers
Dave.