Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DHS seizes Land Rover over EPA regulations

.... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
news
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

here, for the "enough with the videos already!" crowd:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-in-epa-emiss/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/01/2014 04:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

She's lucky the US Gestapo didn't smash her face into the pavement while they stole her wheels from her.

But don't let her pretty face and charming demeanour fool you, any God fearin' Republican patriot can see she's a terrorist!

You're either with us or against us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George W Butch wrote:
On 08/01/2014 04:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

She's lucky the US Gestapo didn't smash her face into the pavement while
they stole her wheels from her.

But don't let her pretty face and charming demeanour fool you, any God
fearin' Republican patriot can see she's a terrorist!

You're either with us or against us.

Hmmm,
EPA regulation and DHS? I don't get it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

Truth be told, most piston engined aircraft run on 100LL Avgas that
still contains lead and pollutes the air far more than a Land Rover.

Why isn't the DHS confiscating aircraft too?

Is it because aircraft tend to be owned by wealthy influential people?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news
George W Butch wrote:
On 08/01/2014 04:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

She's lucky the US Gestapo didn't smash her face into the pavement while
they stole her wheels from her.

But don't let her pretty face and charming demeanour fool you, any God
fearin' Republican patriot can see she's a terrorist!

You're either with us or against us.

Hmmm,
EPA regulation and DHS? I don't get it.

EPA has not built up their armory yet. Yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
George W Butch wrote:
On 08/01/2014 04:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

She's lucky the US Gestapo didn't smash her face into the pavement
while they stole her wheels from her.

But don't let her pretty face and charming demeanour fool you, any
God fearin' Republican patriot can see she's a terrorist!

You're either with us or against us.

Hmmm,
EPA regulation and DHS? I don't get it.

Well , if you did a little more digging , these vehicles were illegally
imported - they don't meet safety or emission standards - and the owners
knew or should have known the status . Seems to be a status symbol among a
certain demographic . One article explained the reason for the mingling of
forces but I was just skimming and didn't focus on that aspect . It's
apparently very profitable , these things are dirt cheap in some places and
get up to 7 figures here ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:37:24 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

EPA regulation and DHS? I don't get it.

You get three guesses and the first two don't count.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 17:22:37 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Hmmm,
EPA regulation and DHS? I don't get it.

Well , if you did a little more digging , these vehicles were illegally
imported - they don't meet safety or emission standards - and the owners
knew or should have known the status . Seems to be a status symbol among a
certain demographic . One article explained the reason for the mingling of
forces but I was just skimming and didn't focus on that aspect . It's
apparently very profitable , these things are dirt cheap in some places and
get up to 7 figures here ...

What about collections... if you restore a Model A, Model T or a
classic '64 Mustang will they come for them?

Why was the warrant "sealed"? I sure would like to read it as to the
reason for confiscation. The 4th Amendment (Bill of Rights) does not
address a "sealed" warrant - a warrant served on a person must be
allowed to be read by the person it is served upon. The Bill of Rights
restricts the government upon citizens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 1, 2014 6:16:02 PM UTC-4, Sky King wrote:
On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:

... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

Truth be told, most piston engined aircraft run on 100LL Avgas that

still contains lead and pollutes the air far more than a Land Rover.

Why isn't the DHS confiscating aircraft too?

Is it because aircraft tend to be owned by wealthy influential people?

It's almost surely because those aircraft were not subject to the EPA
emission rules for cars, were not brought here illegally, etc. Not saying
that it makes sense for a bunch of storm troopers to show up and take the
auto, without even an explanation of exactly why. The owner claims the
warrant was sealed and it was related to an owner 4 transactions removed.
You would think the US govt would have far bigger priorities to be focusing
on than 1985 vintage cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:

... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

Truth be told, most piston engined aircraft run on 100LL Avgas that

still contains lead and pollutes the air far more than a Land Rover.

Why isn't the DHS confiscating aircraft too?

Is it because aircraft tend to be owned by wealthy influential people?

It's almost surely because those aircraft were not subject to the EPA
emission rules for cars, were not brought here illegally, etc. Not saying
that it makes sense for a bunch of storm troopers to show up and take the
auto, without even an explanation of exactly why. The owner claims the
warrant was sealed and it was related to an owner 4 transactions removed.
You would think the US govt would have far bigger priorities to be focusing
on than 1985 vintage cars.

Hide your old worn down lawn mower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I agree, that's a troubling part. I don't see what the great need for
secrecy is over a car and emission standards. They should be able to tell
you why exactly they are taking it. And they need to send out a whole
squad to take a car? This owner says she is 3 owners removed from whoever
first imported it.

If only they had a fraction of that interest in finding Lois Lerner's
emails.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 16:31:34 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

What about collections... if you restore a Model A, Model T or a

classic '64 Mustang will they come for them?

Why was the warrant "sealed"? I sure would like to read it as to the

reason for confiscation. The 4th Amendment (Bill of Rights) does not

address a "sealed" warrant - a warrant served on a person must be

allowed to be read by the person it is served upon. The Bill of Rights

restricts the government upon citizens.

I agree, that's a troubling part. I don't see what the great need for
secrecy is over a car and emission standards. They should be able to tell
you why exactly they are taking it. And they need to send out a whole
squad to take a car? This owner says she is 3 owners removed from whoever
first imported it.

If only they had a fraction of that interest in finding Lois Lerner's
emails.....

C'mon. The NSA has those, right? All they had to do was ask
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-08-01, Sky King wrote:

Truth be told, most piston engined aircraft run on 100LL Avgas that
still contains lead and pollutes the air far more than a Land Rover.

Why isn't the DHS confiscating aircraft too?

Seen the documentary, A Snowmobile For George? Howzabout those Clean
Air Act pollution laws the entire fracking industry and coal companies
are exempt from? Who knows why the DHS spent thousand to confiscate a
few 30 yr old cars. This country is turning to crap.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why was the warrant "sealed"? I sure would like to read it as to the

reason for confiscation. The 4th Amendment (Bill of Rights) does not

address a "sealed" warrant - a warrant served on a person must be

allowed to be read by the person it is served upon. The Bill of Rights

restricts the government upon citizens.

I agree, that's a troubling part. I don't see what the great need for
secrecy is over a car and emission standards. They should be able to tell
you why exactly they are taking it. And they need to send out a whole
squad to take a car? This owner says she is 3 owners removed from whoever
first imported it.

Come to think of it, I can image the agents just said the warrant was
sealed, the owner didn't know about warrants and just accepted it as
gospel.
--
"Trust me, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Aug 2014 00:02:31 GMT, notbob wrote:

Seen the documentary, A Snowmobile For George? Howzabout those Clean
Air Act pollution laws the entire fracking industry and coal companies
are exempt from? Who knows why the DHS spent thousand to confiscate a
few 30 yr old cars. This country is turning to crap.

nb

If your land collects rain, a tiny mud puddle, the EPA with make you
adhere to regulations that are extreme - serving not purpose what so
ever. And make damn sure you do not dam a stream on your property to
build a fish pond. Even though the stream still flows.
--
"Trust me, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-08-02, Oren wrote:

ever. And make damn sure you do not dam a stream on your property to
build a fish pond. Even though the stream still flows.

What if I wear a beaver costume?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

So, as it turns out, this Land Rover vehicle was illegally imported
(smuggled?) into this country?

So Foxnews ****ed up yet another news story by failing to deliver all
the facts?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:51:02 -0400, Bob wrote:

On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

So, as it turns out, this Land Rover vehicle was illegally imported
(smuggled?) into this country?

So Foxnews ****ed up yet another news story by failing to deliver all
the facts?

LOL! I should have known better than to believe a story on FoxNews.
Lesson learned...again!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 6:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

EPA regulation and DHS? I don't get it.

Well , if you did a little more digging , these vehicles were illegally
imported - they don't meet safety or emission standards - and the owners
knew or should have known the status . Seems to be a status symbol among a
certain demographic . One article explained the reason for the mingling of
forces but I was just skimming and didn't focus on that aspect . It's
apparently very profitable , these things are dirt cheap in some places and
get up to 7 figures here ...

I'd guess they want to make a point. Forty vehicles many years later is
not a big score for emissions, but could be for political goals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/1/2014 6:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

EPA regulation and DHS? I don't get it.

Well , if you did a little more digging , these vehicles were
illegally imported - they don't meet safety or emission standards -
and the owners knew or should have known the status . Seems to be a
status symbol among a certain demographic . One article explained
the reason for the mingling of forces but I was just skimming and
didn't focus on that aspect . It's apparently very profitable ,
these things are dirt cheap in some places and get up to 7 figures
here ...

I'd guess they want to make a point. Forty vehicles many years later
is not a big score for emissions, but could be for political goals.

Dig some more , Ed , there's supposedly a lot more than 40 . These are just
the most recent seizures . Though it could be for political gain , the
original story I saw did come from Fox News ... aren't they reputed to be a
Republican mouthpiece ? AFAIK the only thing that can be believed on TV news
is the weather prediction . Sometimes .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

So, as it turns out, this Land Rover vehicle was illegally imported
(smuggled?) into this country?

So Foxnews ****ed up yet another news story by failing to deliver all
the facts?

They did the exact same thing every TV news program in the country does ,
they showed the facts that supported their bias . You didn't actually expect
a well thought out and unbiased report did you ?
As I said above , the only thing on TV news that can be believed is the
weather forecast . Sometimes .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
So, as it turns out, this Land Rover vehicle was illegally imported
(smuggled?) into this country?

So Foxnews ****ed up yet another news story by failing to deliver all the
facts?

Odd how they can worry about a few Land Rovers and not about the millions of
illeagls in the country.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

So, as it turns out, this Land Rover vehicle was illegally imported
(smuggled?) into this country?

So Foxnews ****ed up yet another news story by failing to deliver all
the facts?

LOL! I should have known better than to believe a story on FoxNews.
Lesson learned...again!

Hi,
I very rarely watch Fox or Sun news.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 18:16:02 -0400, Sky King
wrote:

On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

Truth be told, most piston engined aircraft run on 100LL Avgas that
still contains lead and pollutes the air far more than a Land Rover.

Why isn't the DHS confiscating aircraft too?

Is it because aircraft tend to be owned by wealthy influential people?

None of my plane owning friends would be described as "wealthy
influential" although a few are definitely not impoverished. The
planes owned by the "wealthy influential" generally burn prodigious
amounts of JP4 or Kerosene, not 100LL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:37:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/1/2014 6:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

EPA regulation and DHS? I don't get it.

Well , if you did a little more digging , these vehicles were illegally
imported - they don't meet safety or emission standards - and the owners
knew or should have known the status . Seems to be a status symbol among a
certain demographic . One article explained the reason for the mingling of
forces but I was just skimming and didn't focus on that aspect . It's
apparently very profitable , these things are dirt cheap in some places and
get up to 7 figures here ...

I'd guess they want to make a point. Forty vehicles many years later is
not a big score for emissions, but could be for political goals.

When the facts come out you will likely find it was more over customs
and importation issues than EPA issues. The border authorities (and
DHS) have almost unlimitted powers of seizure where importation is
fraudulent. Altered VIN numbers are a SERIOUS criminal offense.
Importing a vehicle on the basis of a fraudulent claim is a criminal
offense, and anything fraudulently imported is subject to summary
seizure. They are quite likely seizing the units on a "sealed warrant"
as evidence against the importer who fraudulently imported the
vehicles, and the current owners' only recource would be a civil suit
against the importer/seller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

So, as it turns out, this Land Rover vehicle was illegally
imported
(smuggled?) into this country?

ya mean like all the illegals that are coming across the
border?
You think 40 land rovers are more important?
I'd say your priorities are a little ****ed up

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 14:04:23 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote in

"Oren" wrote in message
news
... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

here, for the "enough with the videos already!" crowd:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-in-epa-emiss/

Thanks. I also prefer to read a hundred words rather than watch a
video.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 6:48 PM, Oren wrote:
It's almost surely because those aircraft were not subject to the EPA
emission rules for cars, were not brought here illegally, etc. Not saying
that it makes sense for a bunch of storm troopers to show up and take the
auto, without even an explanation of exactly why. The owner claims the
warrant was sealed and it was related to an owner 4 transactions removed.
You would think the US govt would have far bigger priorities to be focusing
on than 1985 vintage cars.

Hide your old worn down lawn mower.

The right to keep and bear old, worn down lawn mowers
shall not be infringed! Well, unless the mower has less
than 7 gal tank capacity, and is equipped with muffler,
catalytic converter, engine brake, safety deadman switch,
and had the blade microstamped for forensic identification.
And paid the $200 transfer tax with form from Bureau of
Lawn Mowers. (BLM.)

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2014 7:31 PM, trader_4 wrote:
I agree, that's a troubling part. I don't see what the great need for
secrecy is over a car and emission standards. They should be able to tell
you why exactly they are taking it. And they need to send out a whole
squad to take a car? This owner says she is 3 owners removed from whoever
first imported it.

If only they had a fraction of that interest in finding Lois Lerner's
emails.....

Or, the OTM coming over the border. What's the quote?
We can find one uninspected piece of meat in a warehouse
in Seattle, but can't find 11 million illegal border
criminals?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Isn't there a big difference in terms of an "arrest warrant, which is what
the contitution talks about, and what it takes to seize a car? I don't think
property has the same rights as an individual. They didn't enter the house,
the car was outside, visible. As regards taking property, the govt has, IMO,
been abusing that power for a long time, via civil forfeiture, where the govt
can basically seize your property and then it's up to you to go to court and
try to get it back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2014 02:10 AM, ChairMan wrote:

ya mean like all the illegals that are coming across the
border?
You think 40 land rovers are more important?
I'd say your priorities are a little ****ed up

The illegal immigration problem started back in 1492. It's a little late to stop it now, don't ya think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 12:30:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I guess it's a big state secret too, that it requires it to be done
secretly. Don't tell the current owner a damn thing. And of course, no
chance that it's going to quickly get back to whoever actually imported
the cars anyway when this owner starts asking previous owners WTF is going
on, it's all over the media, etc. And I guess it depends on what you mean
by serious offense.

I don't see an illegally imported vehicle being more serious than an illegal
alien who commits a crime, goes to prison, and then is released instead of
being deported. The govt is letting them go, so maybe they should lay off
the cars too? And regardless of how serious it is, why in the hell would
they sends out a whole platoon to take a car from the fourth owner? They
almost certainly aren't involved in the criminal act, and the act itself
isn't a violent crime. What a waste of time and money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 1, 2014 8:51:02 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
On 8/1/2014 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:

... forty (40) vehicles across America.

https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg

Somebody - make it stop!

So, as it turns out, this Land Rover vehicle was illegally imported

(smuggled?) into this country?

So Foxnews ****ed up yet another news story by failing to deliver all

the facts?

We don't know the facts because the govt won't tell us the facts.
If you watch the video, the woman says she asked why they were taking
the car and the agents told her the case was sealed, they were not sure,
but they think it was over the clean air act. So, AFAIK, beyond that
eye witness statement, there isn't much else on the record. If you have
some credible info, I'm sure we'd all like to see it. And even if it is
over the cars being illegally imported, do you think that justifies going
to an owner's house who bought the car off of Ebay and is four owners removed
from the illegal importer, with 6 vehicles full of agents in bullet proof
jackets? Is that your America?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-08-02, Oren wrote:

ever. And make damn sure you do not dam a stream on your property to
build a fish pond. Even though the stream still flows.

What if I wear a beaver costume?

nb

Fine, except you'll be released a couple hundred
miles away by Fish and Wildlife. With gaudy metal
tag in your ear lobe.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/01/2014 10:39 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
So, as it turns out, this Land Rover vehicle was illegally imported
(smuggled?) into this country?

So Foxnews ****ed up yet another news story by failing to deliver all the
facts?

Odd how they can worry about a few Land Rovers and not about the millions of
illeagls in the country.

Land Rovers are easier to catch, they don't instinctively run from a badge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-08-02, The Clitorus Whisperer wrote:

On 08/01/2014 10:39 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Odd how they can worry about a few Land Rovers and not about the millions of
illeagls in the country.

Land Rovers are easier to catch, they don't instinctively run from a badge.

Plus, Land Rovers do not provide dirt cheap labor for corporations
that are unable/unwilling to offshore their operations.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2014 9:14 AM, The Clitorus Whisperer wrote:
On 08/01/2014 10:39 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Odd how they can worry about a few Land Rovers and not about the
millions of
illeagls in the country.

Land Rovers are easier to catch, they don't
instinctively run from a badge.

They also don't yell "La migra!" to each other.
--
..
Christopher A. Young