Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Heads up, Mars Rover Landing

Time and show page,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/

Homepage,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

amdx wrote:
Time and show page,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/

* Yawn; same old DizzyKnee cartoon..

Homepage,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 8/3/2012 1:17 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
amdx wrote:
Time and show page,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/

* Yawn; same old DizzyKnee cartoon..

I suspect you watched some animation, I didn't.
I think there will be some *live video when the landing
begins.

Watch Curiosity's Landing!
Aug 5, 2012 10:31 p.m. Pacific
Aug 6, 2012 1:31 a.m. Eastern
Aug 6, 2012 5:31 a.m. Universal

Watch NASA TV Show Online
Begins Aug 5: 2012
8:30 p.m. Pacific
11:30 p.m. Easter

*13 minute delay

Your interests may be elsewhere.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

amdx wrote:
Time and show page,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/

* Yawn; same old DizzyKnee cartoon..

I suspect you watched some animation, I didn't.
I think there will be some *live video when the landing
begins.

Watch Curiosity's Landing!
Aug 5, 2012 10:31 p.m. Pacific
Aug 6, 2012 1:31 a.m. Eastern
Aug 6, 2012 5:31 a.m. Universal

Watch NASA TV Show Online
Begins Aug 5: 2012
8:30 p.m. Pacific
11:30 p.m. Easter

*13 minute delay

Your interests may be elsewhere.
Mikek

Let me get this straight; you "advertise" the NASA link as if one
would see something real, and you did not bother to even LOOK at it?

Then you are "surprised" that i saw a cartoon and not a video of
something that has YET to happen?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

amdx wrote:
[...]

I intuitively understood that until Curiosity arrives at Mars
there will not be any live video from Mars. Thus no sense in
watching what can only be an animation. I don't want to see an
animation, I want to see it live.
In a later post I added the time and date for to help clarify for
those interested in watching.

Yes I advertised (gave a heads up) thinking readers could go to
the site and figure out when to watch.
Not all readers used the info as I expected.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 8/2/2012 1:14 PM, amdx wrote:
Time and show page,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/

Homepage,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

Mikek

Touchdown confirmed!!!
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 00:34:46 -0500, amdx
wrote:

On 8/2/2012 1:14 PM, amdx wrote:
Time and show page,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/

Homepage,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

Mikek

Touchdown confirmed!!!
Mikek

Pity the President's science advisor chose to engage in jingoistic
crowing about it.

“If anybody has been harboring doubts about the status of U.S.
leadership in space,” John P. Holdren, the president’s science
adviser, said at a news conference following the landing, “well,
there’s a one-ton, automobile-size piece of American ingenuity, and
it’s sitting on the surface of Mars right now.”

That was really tacky.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On 8/2/2012 1:14 PM, amdx wrote:
Time and show page,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/

Homepage,
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

Mikek

Touchdown confirmed!!!
Mikek

Pity the President's science advisor chose to engage in jingoistic
crowing about it.

“If anybody has been harboring doubts about the status of U.S.
leadership in space,” John P. Holdren, the president’s science
adviser, said at a news conference following the landing, “well,
there’s a one-ton, automobile-size piece of American ingenuity, and
it’s sitting on the surface of Mars right now.”

That was really tacky.

Really? Now, something like "****in' Marrrrrrrrs bitches!" might have
been a little over the top but, given the difficulty (and anxiety) a bit
of a fist pump doesn't seem too much.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Webb" wrote in message
Pity the President's science advisor chose to engage in jingoistic
crowing about it.

“If anybody has been harboring doubts about the status of U.S.
leadership in space,” John P. Holdren, the president’s science
adviser, said at a news conference following the landing, “well,
there’s a one-ton, automobile-size piece of American ingenuity, and
it’s sitting on the surface of Mars right now.”

That was really tacky.

Really? Now, something like "****in' Marrrrrrrrs bitches!" might have
been a little over the top but, given the difficulty (and anxiety) a bit
of a fist pump doesn't seem too much.

LOL, +1.

I'm surprised http://theoatmeal.com/ hasn't come out with a comic yet,
though Randall has: http://www.xkcd.com/1091/

On topic: The Oatmeal supports Tesla, so there :-P

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
It's a worthy accomplishment but it won't put anybody on the
International Space Station, or anywhere else, and a lack of human
launch capability doesn't quite fit the image of 'leadership in
space'.

Why would you want to put squishy meat-sacks into a partial vacuum with
abundant high-energy radiation? That sounds like a very bad idea.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tim Williams wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
It's a worthy accomplishment but it won't put anybody on the
International Space Station, or anywhere else, and a lack of human
launch capability doesn't quite fit the image of 'leadership in
space'.

Why would you want to put squishy meat-sacks into a partial vacuum with
abundant high-energy radiation? That sounds like a very bad idea.

Then we should send at least a dozen politcians on a fact finding
mission, lead by Bill Nelson.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:45:39 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
.. .
It's a worthy accomplishment but it won't put anybody on the
International Space Station, or anywhere else, and a lack of human
launch capability doesn't quite fit the image of 'leadership in
space'.

Why would you want to put squishy meat-sacks into a partial vacuum with
abundant high-energy radiation? That sounds like a very bad idea.

Tim

"Spam in a can." With basically nothing to do but silly make-work
science fair experiments, and trying to stay alive.

Planetary science is cool, but robots do that just fine. And you don't
have to bring them back home alive.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
Why would you want to put squishy meat-sacks into a partial vacuum with
abundant high-energy radiation? That sounds like a very bad idea.

Pardon me but the correct description is "ugly bags of mostly water."

I think it's better to emphasize the squishiness and meatiness than the
aqueous base.

Even so, those bags dry out mightily fast in a hard vacuum, you have to
admit. They'll be preserved very nicely though (minus the cellular damage).

To answer your question, for the same reason that sending a 'probe'
would have been interesting but ultimately a hell of a lot less useful
than the Niña, Pinta, and Santa Maria, and the rest that followed.

Now you're just being absurd. What else were they going to do, float a
dinghy on a tow rope, wait for it to go out, then haul it back and hope for
spices to appear? Don't forget how many died on those voyages. Not that
that mattered; death was common back then, and states were more eager to
grow their empires.

Neither the expense of launching "spam in a can", nor the loss of human
life, is tolerable today. We have much cheaper, and much better, ways of
doing things, ways that couldn't be dreamed of.

Remember further, few of the earliest explorers, settlers or pilgrims were
even moderately prepared for survival, during the journey and in the
wilderness. And that's landing on a continent covered in green stuff.
There's food and shelter anywhere you look, you just have to know where to
go and what to pick. And they couldn't even do that.

Later on, once we've gotten enough infrastructure out there (in orbit, on
the Moon, asteroids, Mars, etc.) that we can have life support available,
then, and only then, can humans move in, and again do some truely amazing
things. But that's only possible once they can be self sufficient. This
might be another 50-100 years -- which by a more suitable analogy with
history, seems reasonable.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tim Williams wrote:

Even so, those bags dry out mightily fast in a hard vacuum, you have to
admit. They'll be preserved very nicely though (minus the cellular damage).

So much for 'Freeze Dried Colonists, just add water'. ;-)

Lung disease former MG Rover workers get compensation Boris Kapusta Metalworking 3 December 27th 10 02:47 PM
Land Rover Disco 3 voltage regulator levels Ron Lowe UK diy 46 February 12th 09 10:35 AM
man seen on mars? saya Electronics Repair 1 January 25th 08 04:21 PM
Land Rover comms link cynic UK diy 28 January 12th 07 10:14 PM
Mars Rover Wheels, one large machined piece? Loren Coe Metalworking 12 February 14th 04 01:20 AM