Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default DHS seizes Land Rover over EPA regulations

On Friday, August 1, 2014 8:06:27 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 16:31:34 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

wrote:

Why was the warrant "sealed"? I sure would like to read it as to the

reason for confiscation. The 4th Amendment (Bill of Rights) does not

address a "sealed" warrant - a warrant served on a person must be

allowed to be read by the person it is served upon. The Bill of Rights

restricts the government upon citizens.

I agree, that's a troubling part. I don't see what the great need for

secrecy is over a car and emission standards. They should be able to tell

you why exactly they are taking it. And they need to send out a whole

squad to take a car? This owner says she is 3 owners removed from whoever

first imported it.

Come to think of it, I can image the agents just said the warrant was

sealed, the owner didn't know about warrants and just accepted it as

gospel.

--

"Trust me, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

Isn't there a big difference in terms of an "arrest warrant, which is what
the contitution talks about, and what it takes to seize a car? I don't think
property has the same rights as an individual. They didn't enter the house,
the car was outside, visible. As regards taking property, the govt has, IMO,
been abusing that power for a long time, via civil forfeiture, where the govt
can basically seize your property and then it's up to you to go to court and
try to get it back.