Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The basketball hoop

The other grandad bought it for Buster (8). Buster's dad tried to screw
it to the wall and failed. I was invited to Sunday dinner, but asked to
come early.

Son-in-law has a good hammer drill (thanks to my advice). He has a full
set of SDS drill bits (thanks to my generosity). But the supplied plugs
were very hard plastic and were too big to be tapped into a 7mm hole and
were loose in an 8mm hole. The supplied screws had narrow necks and big
heads. The necks sheared off with only moderate torque applied. Poor lad
thought it was him. I had to reassure him that it was the plugs and
screws. He had a few plugs and screws loose in his toolbox so we
managed. Then we had fish pie.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 21:06, Bill Wright wrote:
The other grandad bought it for Buster (8). Buster's dad tried to screw
it to the wall and failed. I was invited to Sunday dinner, but asked to
come early.

Son-in-law has a good hammer drill (thanks to my advice). He has a full
set of SDS drill bits (thanks to my generosity). But the supplied plugs
were very hard plastic and were too big to be tapped into a 7mm hole and
were loose in an 8mm hole. The supplied screws had narrow necks and big
heads. The necks sheared off with only moderate torque applied. Poor lad
thought it was him. I had to reassure him that it was the plugs and
screws. He had a few plugs and screws loose in his toolbox so we
managed. Then we had fish pie.

Bill

I NEVER use the fixings supplied. 5.5mm SDS, red plugs and 4mm screws
will fix most thinds

Malcolm

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2019 00:05, Malcolm Race wrote:
On 25/02/2019 21:06, Bill Wright wrote:
The other grandad bought it for Buster (8). Buster's dad tried to
screw it to the wall and failed. I was invited to Sunday dinner, but
asked to come early.

Son-in-law has a good hammer drill (thanks to my advice). He has a
full set of SDS drill bits (thanks to my generosity). But the supplied
plugs were very hard plastic and were too big to be tapped into a 7mm
hole and were loose in an 8mm hole. The supplied screws had narrow
necks and big heads. The necks sheared off with only moderate torque
applied. Poor lad thought it was him. I had to reassure him that it
was the plugs and screws. He had a few plugs and screws loose in his
toolbox so we managed. Then we had fish pie.

Bill

I NEVER use the fixings supplied.Â* 5.5mm SDS, red plugs and 4mm screws
will fix most thinds

Ohh that's small! I have red plugs but never use them. It's easier to
get a good fix with a bigger plug. I use No 6 or No 8 screws into 7mm
plugs, or 8/10 screws into 10mm plugs.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Basket ball hoops need heavy duty metal fixings, people hang off them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I had an outdoor alarm device with fixing kit that seemed to have been
made to the cheapest possible specs imaginable some years ago, if they are
not going to provide things that work, why supply them at all, one wonders?

Its like sometimes you get cable ties for helpfully keeping 12v lines of
garden lights tidy, but they are made of a plastic that given one frost and
hot summer break up.

I'm sure there is a law of nature involved in this sort of thing.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
The other grandad bought it for Buster (8). Buster's dad tried to screw it
to the wall and failed. I was invited to Sunday dinner, but asked to come
early.

Son-in-law has a good hammer drill (thanks to my advice). He has a full
set of SDS drill bits (thanks to my generosity). But the supplied plugs
were very hard plastic and were too big to be tapped into a 7mm hole and
were loose in an 8mm hole. The supplied screws had narrow necks and big
heads. The necks sheared off with only moderate torque applied. Poor lad
thought it was him. I had to reassure him that it was the plugs and
screws. He had a few plugs and screws loose in his toolbox so we managed.
Then we had fish pie.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
The other grandad bought it for Buster (8). Buster's dad tried to screw
it to the wall and failed. I was invited to Sunday dinner, but asked to
come early.

Son-in-law has a good hammer drill (thanks to my advice). He has a full
set of SDS drill bits (thanks to my generosity). But the supplied plugs
were very hard plastic and were too big to be tapped into a 7mm hole and
were loose in an 8mm hole. The supplied screws had narrow necks and big
heads. The necks sheared off with only moderate torque applied. Poor lad
thought it was him. I had to reassure him that it was the plugs and
screws. He had a few plugs and screws loose in his toolbox so we
managed. Then we had fish pie.

Could be just me, but most supplied screws and plugs end up unopened in a
box full of such things. They hardly ever look fit for purpose - apart
from perhaps fixing into wood.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2019 09:56, Tim+ wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:
Basket ball hoops need heavy duty metal fixings, people hang

off them

But why? There's absolutely no reason to, it's not part of the
game. It's just abuse of a bit of sporting eqipment.

It may not be part of the game/in the rules etc but it happens all the
time so should really be catered for
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz Wrote in message:
Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

At age 8? Circus beckons....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2019 11:20, Jim K.. wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:

Basket ball hoops need heavy duty metal fixings, people hang off them

At age 8? Circus beckons....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veWKsuXLdMo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup Wrote in message:
On 26/02/2019 11:20, Jim K.. wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:

Basket ball hoops need heavy duty metal fixings, people hang off them

At age 8? Circus beckons....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veWKsuXLdMo

Hardly self inflicted was it?!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:
Basket ball hoops need heavy duty metal fixings, people hang

off them

But why? There's absolutely no reason to, it's not part of the
game. It's just abuse of a bit of sporting eqipment.

Tim

What is abuse to you will be just another game ,adventure, challenge to a
youngster.
And if it is actually strong enough to take the abuse and so is the surface
on which it is mounted you may as well mount firm enough to take that abuse
and get more utilisation out of it.

Incidentally I helped someone nearby dismantle a childs swing as the
daughter had grown too old for it.
It had only been in place for about 9 years but the thin metal tubing where
the swing hangers were mounted and trapped water and crud had corroded to
the point that the tubes just crumbled.
Fortunately the girl had stopped using it a couple of years before ,
something to watch out for if you or other members of the family have one.
In contrast the 1950s angle iron of the one I had which saw about 15 years
service by me and my siblings is still doing service as part of a shed
roof.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2019 09:56, Tim+ wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:
Basket ball hoops need heavy duty metal fixings, people hang

off them

But why? There's absolutely no reason to, it's not part of the
game. It's just abuse of a bit of sporting eqipment.

According to whose rules? FIBA's allow it in some cases. See 36.2.1

"A technical foul is a player non-contact foul of a behavioural nature
including, but not limited to:
Hanging on the ring in such a way that the weight of the player is
supported by the ring, unless a player grasps the ring momentarily
following a dunk shot or, in the judgement of an official, is trying to
prevent injury to himself or to another player."

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marland" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:
[...]

I welded up my two gates using square metal tubing, what we call RHS,
and they have lasted fine for 45 years now because I ensured that there
is never any trapped water. Havent even got any rust either because
I wire brushed and painted them carefully.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Basketcase Ozzie Troll!

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 03:44:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I welded up my two gates

I guess nobody cares, senile asshole!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Outdoor basketball hoop question Steve K Home Repair 24 November 10th 18 02:14 PM
Replacing a basketball hoop mounting post steve Home Repair 2 February 22nd 07 06:49 PM
Hoop rolling Guy King UK diy 3 April 26th 06 11:42 PM
Basketball hoop height adjustment abcdef Home Ownership 0 April 15th 06 03:16 AM
hoop pine slab Rafael Dosantos Woodworking 1 May 10th 05 02:54 PM