Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default The basketball hoop

"Marland" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:
Basket ball hoops need heavy duty metal fixings, people hang

off them

But why? There's absolutely no reason to, it's not part of the
game. It's just abuse of a bit of sporting eqipment.

Tim

What is abuse to you will be just another game ,adventure, challenge to a
youngster.
And if it is actually strong enough to take the abuse and so is the
surface
on which it is mounted you may as well mount firm enough to take that
abuse
and get more utilisation out of it.

Incidentally I helped someone nearby dismantle a childs swing as the
daughter had grown too old for it.
It had only been in place for about 9 years but the thin metal tubing
where
the swing hangers were mounted and trapped water and crud had corroded to
the point that the tubes just crumbled.
Fortunately the girl had stopped using it a couple of years before ,
something to watch out for if you or other members of the family have one.
In contrast the 1950s angle iron of the one I had which saw about 15
years
service by me and my siblings is still doing service as part of a shed
roof.

I welded up my two gates using square metal tubing, what we call RHS,
and they have lasted fine for 45 years now because I ensured that there
is never any trapped water. Havent even got any rust either because
I wire brushed and painted them carefully.