Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

Default Hoop rolling

My father in law and I are thinking of making a car turntable. One
potnetial design involves a hoop of 2" steel pipe running on wheels set
into the ground.

Any idea how much it'd cost to get the hoop bent - and what's the
technical term for it so I can go googling?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Guy King" wrote in message
My father in law and I are thinking of making a car turntable. One
potnetial design involves a hoop of 2" steel pipe running on wheels set
into the ground.

Any idea how much it'd cost to get the hoop bent - and what's the
technical term for it so I can go googling?

--
Skipweasel

=========================
I think it's called 'section bending'.

I doubt if you'd really need to have a hoop because you can place wheels at
regular spacings on a square (or star shape etc.) and it will rotate around
a central axle. It depends on what you use as the circular base and the type
of wheels / castors you use.

Have a look at this for a miniature version:

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....+-+Zinc+plated

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Cicero" contains these words:

I doubt if you'd really need to have a hoop because you can place wheels at
regular spacings on a square (or star shape etc.) and it will rotate around
a central axle. It depends on what you use as the circular base and the type
of wheels / castors you use.

It was the hoop I wanted to use as the track. I was planning on burying
wheel-carriers in the ground and welding the turntable to the hoop. The
reason behind the hoop was strength.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y