Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 40mm pushfit

OK probably dumb question. I've been replacing fitting the utility room
waste with 40mm pipe and compression joints, but one spot I need a 135
degree pushfit.

Got one off Ebay advertised 40mm but it's stamped '1.5" / 38mm" and I
can't get it on the pipe. Should it fit? Those 2mm make all the
difference - I've tried chamfering the edges but it won't go.

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:

OK probably dumb question. I've been replacing fitting the utility room
waste with 40mm pipe and compression joints, but one spot I need a 135
degree pushfit.

Got one off Ebay advertised 40mm but it's stamped '1.5" / 38mm" and I
can't get it on the pipe. Should it fit? Those 2mm make all the
difference - I've tried chamfering the edges but it won't go.

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

Pushfit pipes are *not* interchangeable, not necessarily even between
brands. If the pipe you bought is for compression fittings the best
thing you can do is get the correct pushfit pipe for the runs either
side of your pushfit joint. Compression fittings will probably seal to
it adequately, they are not so size critical.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

"40mm" pushfit is generally 40-41mm OD, solvent is about 43mm OD, is the
38mm of the pipe you have the ID?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 17:47, Reentrant wrote:
OK probably dumb question. I've been replacing fitting the utility room
waste with 40mm pipe and compression joints, but one spot I need a 135
degree pushfit.

Got one off Ebay advertised 40mm but it's stamped '1.5" / 38mm" and I
can't get it on the pipe. Should it fit? Those 2mm make all the
difference - I've tried chamfering the edges but it won't go.

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

Lol. I fell for that one too.

I though it would be like copper pipe, mix and match. Weld most of the
sections and then use compression for a tricky joint. But nope.

It would be interesting to know why.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 17:47, Reentrant wrote:
OK probably dumb question. I've been replacing fitting the utility room
waste with 40mm pipe and compression joints, but one spot I need a 135
degree pushfit.

Got one off Ebay advertised 40mm but it's stamped '1.5" / 38mm" and I
can't get it on the pipe. Should it fit? Those 2mm make all the
difference - I've tried chamfering the edges but it won't go.

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

No, in fact they are deliberately made incompatible since you need
different types of plastic for the two different applications. The push
fit normally needs a softer more elastic polypropylene pipe, while the
solvent weld uses a more rigid ABS pipe that will also melt with the
solvent.

The only way you can transition between push fit and solvent weld is
with the "universal" compression fittings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 18:46, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

OK thanks all - I assumed wrong. The pipe is actually solvent-weld type
but is fine with compression joints. It's just the "38mm" pushfit elbow
that doesn't fit.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:

[...]

The ones sold for compression are nothing special, just cheaply made and
moderately expensively sold, esp in diy stores. As I said, you can get
couple of lengths of the proper pushfit pipe just for the lengths
meeting at your 135degree joint, and the other ends will work with your
compression fittings. Altenatively, of course, you can get the right
make of 135degree solvent weld bend, but not if you ever want to be able
to dismantle it without replacing the pipes.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 18:05, Andy Burns wrote:
Reentrant wrote:

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

"40mm" pushfit is generally 40-41mm OD, solvent is about 43mm OD, is the
38mm of the pipe you have the ID?

The chrome trimmed fitting for where the waste pipe of one of our
washbasins passes through the tiled floor fits the underfloor piping
perfectly, but the vertical, chromed plastic pipe feeding down into it
was too large and I was unable to change to something else as then it
wouldn't fit the trap and elbow! I ended up heating the chromed plastic
tube and forcing it into hole drilled into a piece of wood to reduce its
diameter.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

"40mm" pushfit is generally 40-41mm OD, solvent is about 43mm OD, is
the 38mm of the pipe you have the ID?

The chrome trimmed fitting for where the waste pipe of one of our
washbasins passes through the tiled floor fits the underfloor piping
perfectly, but the vertical, chromed plastic pipe feeding down into it
was too large and I was unable to change to something else as then it
wouldn't fit the trap and elbow! I ended up heating the chromed plastic
tube and forcing it into hole drilled into a piece of wood to reduce its
diameter.

SteveW

THAT is a neat trick I will remember.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 18:10, Paul Welsh wrote:
On 19/02/2019 17:47, Reentrant wrote:
OK probably dumb question. I've been replacing fitting the utility
room waste with 40mm pipe and compression joints, but one spot I need
a 135 degree pushfit.

Got one off Ebay advertised 40mm but it's stamped '1.5" / 38mm" and I
can't get it on the pipe. Should it fit? Those 2mm make all the
difference - I've tried chamfering the edges but it won't go.

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

Lol. I fell for that one too.

I though it would be like copper pipe, mix and match. Weld most of the
sections and then use compression for a tricky joint. But nope.

It would be interesting to know why.

Trust me, it is better now than it used to be when they first came in.
The modern "compression" fittings with a screw fitting and chevron seal
may be bulky, but they cope better across "pushfit" pipe from different
sources. (Recognising that they come in "sink" and "bath" sizes of course).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 22:10, newshound wrote:
[...]

An example of modern quality.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-washing-machine-trap-white-40mm/18640

The standpipe appears to be push fit. At least, I couldn't replace it
with a solvent weld pipe. The bottom compression joint was fine with
solvent weld.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

"40mm" pushfit is generally 40-41mm OD, solvent is about 43mm OD, is the
38mm of the pipe you have the ID?

The chrome trimmed fitting for where the waste pipe of one of our
washbasins passes through the tiled floor fits the underfloor piping
perfectly, but the vertical, chromed plastic pipe feeding down into it
was too large and I was unable to change to something else as then it
wouldn't fit the trap and elbow! I ended up heating the chromed plastic
tube and forcing it into hole drilled into a piece of wood to reduce its
diameter.

SteveW

There must be a word for the opposite of swaging.
When I did the bathroom in solvent weld, I was about 3" short (yes, I've had
that complaint before ;-) )so swaged out the pipes and inserted a small
offcut.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 08:24:11 +0000
PeterC wrote:

There must be a word for the opposite of swaging.

Crimping?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

There must be a word for the opposite of swaging.

Crimping?

No - that puts wrinkles in it. I'm thinking of trying it on a piece of pipe
that's just an awkward fit - too small for 40 mm compression (which I want),
too big for 32 mm - I'll try to warm it up and get 40 mm push fit over it.
Can't afford to increase the dia. of the 40 mm.
Luckily, I picked up on impulse a heat gun fro Aldidl last year.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

There must be a word for the opposite of swaging.

Crimping?

Oddly, the definitions I've seen for swaging all refer to reducing the
diameter, but I've always known swaging to be used to refer to
increasing or decreasing the diameter. If you want to specifiy which,
simply using swaging-up or swaging-down.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

There must be a word for the opposite of swaging.

Crimping?

Oddly, the definitions I've seen for swaging all refer to reducing the
diameter, but I've always known swaging to be used to refer to
increasing or decreasing the diameter. If you want to specifiy which,
simply using swaging-up or swaging-down.

SteveW

Didn't know that. I used swaging as a method for joining refrigeration
pipes, but those are thicker than water pipes (also work on ID, not OD).
It's a very sound method: swage, clean up with steel wool, insert,
Cuproflo(?) with oxy-propane (no flux) and a very strong joint in about half
an inch of pipe.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

There must be a word for the opposite of swaging.

Crimping?

Oddly, the definitions I've seen for swaging all refer to reducing the
diameter, but I've always known swaging to be used to refer to
increasing or decreasing the diameter. If you want to specifiy which,
simply using swaging-up or swaging-down.

Yup same here, although I have quite often heard the use of the term
"flaring" for making wider...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 17:31:41 +0000
John Rumm wrote:

Yup same here, although I have quite often heard the use of the term
"flaring" for making wider...

Isn't that just making a conical taper for a compression fitting like
brake pipes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Yup same here, although I have quite often heard the use of the term
"flaring" for making wider...

Isn't that just making a conical taper for a compression fitting like
brake pipes?

Yes - and refrigeration pipes (don't forget the backnut!).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away