Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 40mm pushfit

On 19/02/2019 17:47, Reentrant wrote:
OK probably dumb question. I've been replacing fitting the utility room
waste with 40mm pipe and compression joints, but one spot I need a 135
degree pushfit.

Got one off Ebay advertised 40mm but it's stamped '1.5" / 38mm" and I
can't get it on the pipe. Should it fit? Those 2mm make all the
difference - I've tried chamfering the edges but it won't go.

I thought all 40mm solvent weld/compression/pushfit pipe and fittings
were pretty much interchangeable.

No, in fact they are deliberately made incompatible since you need
different types of plastic for the two different applications. The push
fit normally needs a softer more elastic polypropylene pipe, while the
solvent weld uses a more rigid ABS pipe that will also melt with the
solvent.

The only way you can transition between push fit and solvent weld is
with the "universal" compression fittings.

--
Cheers,

John.