Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I found 3 old violins & a coffin case...

....last week, abandoned.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377...w/violins2.JPG

The bottom one has a label inside, says 1939 copy
of Savart's Trapezoid (orig. made in 1820).
The top one looks like an experimental fantasy.
It's the middle one that looks like a real antique,
but the neck looks more like a guitar until you get
to the head. ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

...last week, abandoned.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377...w/violins2.JPG

The bottom one has a label inside, says 1939 copy
of Savart's Trapezoid (orig. made in 1820).
The top one looks like an experimental fantasy.

Its a practice violin: no sounding board, so quiet.

It's the middle one that looks like a real antique,
but the neck looks more like a guitar until you get
to the head.

Fretted violins are not particularly rare, but that one does
look odd.

I wonder whether they are all part of a theft, dumped because
they would be too hard to sell?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2019 10:30, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
writes:

...last week, abandoned.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377...w/violins2.JPG

The bottom one has a label inside, says 1939 copy
of Savart's Trapezoid (orig. made in 1820).
The top one looks like an experimental fantasy.

Its a practice violin: no sounding board, so quiet.

It's the middle one that looks like a real antique,
but the neck looks more like a guitar until you get
to the head.

Fretted violins are not particularly rare, but that one does
look odd.

I wonder whether they are all part of a theft, dumped because
they would be too hard to sell?

They all look unused, I would wonder if they were apprentice pieces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
...last week, abandoned.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377...w/violins2.JPG

The bottom one has a label inside, says 1939 copy
of Savart's Trapezoid (orig. made in 1820).
The top one looks like an experimental fantasy.
It's the middle one that looks like a real antique,
but the neck looks more like a guitar until you get
to the head. ??

Not that old, and at least one is probably electronic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
writes:

...last week, abandoned.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377...w/violins2.JPG

The bottom one has a label inside, says 1939 copy
of Savart's Trapezoid (orig. made in 1820).
The top one looks like an experimental fantasy.

Its a practice violin: no sounding board, so quiet.

It's the middle one that looks like a real antique,
but the neck looks more like a guitar until you get
to the head.

Fretted violins are not particularly rare, but that one does
look odd.

I wonder whether they are all part of a theft, dumped because
they would be too hard to sell?

I would guess they are home made I made these instruments and the odd
one is an electric violin.
https://imgur.com/TJYgvmz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2019 07:03, wrote:
...last week, abandoned.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377...w/violins2.JPG

The bottom one has a label inside, says 1939 copy
of Savart's Trapezoid (orig. made in 1820).
The top one looks like an experimental fantasy.
It's the middle one that looks like a real antique,
but the neck looks more like a guitar until you get
to the head. ??

Fascinating. Do you have any other pictures? Or even a higher res
version of that one? My email address works if you don't want to post to
a site.

The middle one looks as if it is meant to be based on a dulcimer (note
the flat fingerboard, the modal fret intervals higher up and the slots
in the nut) but the piercings interest me. An American acoustical
researcher and builder, Carleen Mayley Hutchins, used to experiment with
apparently odd-ball piercings, blocking them up in different sequences
to analize the way they altered the sound.

I have lots of half-finished acoustic experiments littered around the
place so it's a person after my own heart, so to speak. Love to know more.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2019 11:18, FMurtz wrote:

I would guess they are home made I made these instruments and the odd
one is an electric violin.
https://imgur.com/TJYgvmz

Oh, I do like those. Are you still making? Do you play?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

...last week, abandoned.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377...w/violins2.JPG

The bottom one has a label inside, says 1939 copy
of Savart's Trapezoid (orig. made in 1820).
The top one looks like an experimental fantasy.

Its a practice violin: no sounding board, so quiet.

It's the middle one that looks like a real antique,
but the neck looks more like a guitar until you get
to the head.

Fretted violins are not particularly rare, but that one does
look odd.

Looks more like an instrument designed to be strummed, not bowed.

Its not easy to tell but the fretboard looks FLAT.

Thr boottom one looks more like a lute...

I wonder whether they are all part of a theft, dumped because
they would be too hard to sell?

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:
On 15/02/2019 11:18, FMurtz wrote:

I would guess they are home made I made these instruments and the odd
one is an electric violin.
https://imgur.com/TJYgvmz

Oh, I do like those. Are you still making? Do you play?

Nick

Can not play any and am now in the process of making an electric guitar,

https://imgur.com/a/OwV0n1T
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought the Police might be who to ask on that one. You know having
led a sheltered life, I have never heard of a fretted Violin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jon Fairbairn" wrote in message
writes:

...last week, abandoned.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377...w/violins2.JPG

The bottom one has a label inside, says 1939 copy
of Savart's Trapezoid (orig. made in 1820).
The top one looks like an experimental fantasy.

It's a practice violin: no sounding board, so quiet.

It's the middle one that looks like a real antique,
but the neck looks more like a guitar until you get
to the head.

Fretted violins are not particularly rare, but that one does
look odd.

I wonder whether they are all part of a theft, dumped because
they would be too hard to sell?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2019 23:21, FMurtz wrote:
Nick Odell wrote:
On 15/02/2019 11:18, FMurtz wrote:

I would guess they are home made I made these instruments and the odd
one is an electric violin.
https://imgur.com/TJYgvmz

Oh, I do like those. Are you still making? Do you play?

Nick

Can not play any and am now in the process of making an electric guitar,

https://imgur.com/a/OwV0n1T

It's addictive, isn't it? Still, it kept me from getting a proper job
for nearly fifty years.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192828563687

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153381812688

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153381825495

The middle one looks as if it is meant to be based on a dulcimer (note
the flat fingerboard, the modal fret intervals higher up and the slots
in the nut) but the piercings interest me. An American acoustical
researcher and builder, Carleen Mayley Hutchins, used to experiment with
apparently odd-ball piercings, blocking them up in different sequences
to analize the way they altered the sound.

I have lots of half-finished acoustic experiments littered around the
place so it's a person after my own heart, so to speak. Love to know more.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 08:30, wrote:
Nick Odell wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that. Yes, really intriguing. All the best with the sales!

Nick