Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cracked soilpipe

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

Gaffer tape it & add to the next list.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 11:48, alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

A bag of readymixed concrete. £2.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

When cast iron drainpipes get patched around here it looks like self
adhesive flashing band is popular.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

When cast iron drainpipes get patched around here it looks like self
adhesive flashing band is popular.

Tim

Bit ott for 6 months?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 13:15, Jim K.. wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

When cast iron drainpipes get patched around here it looks like self
adhesive flashing band is popular.

Tim

Bit ott for 6 months?

Maybe a bit OTT but I can get some this afternoon for £12 (Toolstation)
and it will take perhaps all of 10 minutes to apply.

Since posting I've spent all of 15 minutes with some paint stripper and
scraper and have taken the area around the crack back to bare metal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 11:48, alan_m wrote:
Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

basic repair use a thick Gaffa tape (Gorilla for example)
Better would be Denso tape ...

or if it cracks as it goes into a fitting then use a filler/adhesive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTIUZZHBEQY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 13:38:49 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 10/02/2019 13:15, Jim K.. wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
alan_m wrote:

[...]

If using flashband, the primer wouldn't go amiss on cast iron.
Or a bit of bitumous paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 10/02/2019 13:15, Jim K.. wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

When cast iron drainpipes get patched around here it looks like self
adhesive flashing band is popular.

Tim

Bit ott for 6 months?

Maybe a bit OTT but I can get some this afternoon for £12 (Toolstation)
and it will take perhaps all of 10 minutes to apply.

How much is a roll of gaffer tape (if you don't actually have a
roll already)?

Since posting I've spent all of 15 minutes with some paint stripper and
scraper and have taken the area around the crack back to bare metal

Fill it with car body filler then paint it? 6 years+ not 6 months....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 13:05, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/02/2019 11:48, alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have
to be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the
(cast iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the
base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

A bag of readymixed concrete. £2.

Bill

car body filler

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 11:48, alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

Two part epoxy plumbing repair putty, or denso tape would be quick fixes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 11:48:25, alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

I'm wondering if a simple black flexible rubberised paint wouldn't be
the simplest solution. Using something Flashband makes it obvious it's
covering up a crack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 13:57, rick wrote:
On 10/02/2019 11:48, alan_m wrote:
Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

basic repair use a thick Gaffa tape (Gorilla for example)
Better would be Denso tape ...

+1, or Sylglas is much the same but in a DIY package
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you can keep it dry for a day or so, I'd be tempted to use epoxy of some
kind then wrap it in tape.
Of course if the crack is the tip of the iceberg, so to speak...
Brian s

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Any suggestions for a temporary repair that may have to last 6 months.

The leak isn't that bad but I can foresee that as the weather get hotter
what comes out of the crack may start smelling.

One of the first things I'll do is to a small hole at the end of the
crack to stop it propagating upwards.

Gaffer tape it & add to the next list.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 11:48, alan_m wrote:

Sods law - as I'm starting a fairly long list list of jobs that have to
be completed in the next 3 weeks I've noticed that the base of the (cast
iron) soil pipe was wet. On inspection there is a crack at the base.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I used some paint stripper to remove all the paint around the crack.

Heated the pipe with a blow torch to dry it.

Flushed the loo a couple of times to find the extent of the hairline
part of the crack. Capillary action and the water highlighted the extent
of the crack which extended approx 12 inches above the crack seen on the
pained pipe.

Drilled a hole at the end of the crack to stop it spreading.

Dried pipe again with blow torch.

I had some some two part plastic body filler so used that to fill the
crack and overlay the hairline part of the crack

Sanded down roughly and I will wait for a few days to see if the base of
the soil pipe dries out when flushing the toilet.

Three photos at
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/soilpipe/

Fiberglass Repair of Old Iron Soilpipe frank1492 Home Repair 20 October 29th 11 03:02 PM
Washing machine outlet into soilpipe? Pete L UK diy 1 November 10th 07 02:11 PM
rusted, leaking basement soilpipe KLS Home Ownership 1 January 30th 05 07:37 PM
cracked WC cistern SkintRich UK diy 3 November 21st 03 04:22 PM
Cracked outer double glazing pane - UK diy 6 July 9th 03 06:36 PM