Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combination lock for outside door - is this Yale any good?

I want a simple 'no key' lock for a large garage door (one piece, so
lock next to wall, not in the middle of a pair of doors). It doesn't
have to be incredibly secure, what I'm after is something similar to
the push button mechanical lock we have on our stable door.

Has anyone any experience of this Yale combination bolt:-

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/...ing-Bolt-120Mm

What other options are there? Can you get 'large' versions of the
push button latches? The standard door ones would be a bit
lightweight for the garage door.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/02/2019 17:42, Chris Green wrote:
I want a simple 'no key' lock for a large garage door (one piece, so
lock next to wall, not in the middle of a pair of doors). *It doesn't
have to be incredibly secure*, what I'm after is something similar to
the push button mechanical lock we have on our stable door.

Any external bolt, like the one you linked to, is extremely easy to get
through with an angle grinder.

I got though a Chubb high security mortice lock on an outward opening
door in 3 minutes with the 9" angle grinder. That Yale bolt looks like
it would take only a few seconds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 07/02/2019 17:42, Chris Green wrote:
I want a simple 'no key' lock for a large garage door (one piece, so
lock next to wall, not in the middle of a pair of doors). *It doesn't
have to be incredibly secure*, what I'm after is something similar to
the push button mechanical lock we have on our stable door.

Any external bolt, like the one you linked to, is extremely easy to get
through with an angle grinder.

I got though a Chubb high security mortice lock on an outward opening
door in 3 minutes with the 9" angle grinder. That Yale bolt looks like
it would take only a few seconds.

That's true of all our garage doors anyway, the stable door is so
flimsy you'd only have to push hard and it would disintegrate. As I
said, I'm not after high security, just a way of not leaving it open
really, stop our own family etc.

So are there any non-external locks/bolts suitable for a garage door
with no-key locking?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Has anyone any experience of this Yale combination bolt:-

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/...ing-Bolt-120Mm

I wouldn't fancy trying to open that after a hard frost! Those
wheels look so small, gloves would be out of the question!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 February 2019 17:48:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I want a simple 'no key' lock for a large garage door (one piece, so
lock next to wall, not in the middle of a pair of doors). It doesn't
have to be incredibly secure, what I'm after is something similar to
the push button mechanical lock we have on our stable door.

Has anyone any experience of this Yale combination bolt:-

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/...ing-Bolt-120Mm

What other options are there? Can you get 'large' versions of the
push button latches? The standard door ones would be a bit
lightweight for the garage door.

--
Chris Green
·

The weak point in many garages/outbuildings is the roof which is often very flimsy.

No point in having just one part of a building super secure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Thursday, 7 February 2019 17:48:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I want a simple 'no key' lock for a large garage door (one piece, so
lock next to wall, not in the middle of a pair of doors). It doesn't
have to be incredibly secure, what I'm after is something similar to
the push button mechanical lock we have on our stable door.

Has anyone any experience of this Yale combination bolt:-

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/...ing-Bolt-120Mm

What other options are there? Can you get 'large' versions of the
push button latches? The standard door ones would be a bit
lightweight for the garage door.

--
Chris Green
·

The weak point in many garages/outbuildings is the roof which is often very flimsy.

No point in having just one part of a building super secure.

Goodness, why is everyone trying to tell me how secure (or not) my
garage should be! I just want a way to 'lock' (as in prevent passers
by, children, etc. entering) the door.

Security is a non-issue hereabouts (happily), we quite often forget to
shut the garage doors overnight and have never had anything taken in
the twenty years or more that we have been here. The side door to the
garage is rarely locked, neither are our shed doors and there are
tools and such in the sheds.

But I do want to be able to lock the door a *bit* more securely than
just latching it.

I've actually come the conclusion that an 'ordinary' mechanical button
operated lock this like this will work fine:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/codelocks...ton-lock/4103t

We have a similar (but probably 'light duty') one on the stable door
and that has served well for many years, I was hoping to find
something with a more substantial bolt (more for ease of fitting than
security) but there's nothing I can see at a sensible price and the
above one ticks all the other boxes.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 February 2019 17:48:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
What other options are there? Can you get 'large' versions of the
push button latches? The standard door ones would be a bit
lightweight for the garage door.

You can get combination padlocks (some quite heavy duty) which can be used in conjunction with ordinary padbolts / Brenton bolt latches (which can be bolted through a wooden door or welded to a metal one)

If the Yale combination bolt works the same way as

https://www.screwfix.com/p/squire-di...olt-50mm/27477

one drawback is that if you give the number to anyone so they have access or can leave a parcel, it's very easy for them to reset the lock to a different combination that you don't know.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/02/2019 10:00, Chris Green wrote:

I've actually come the conclusion that an 'ordinary' mechanical button
operated lock this like this will work fine:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/codelocks...ton-lock/4103t

We have a similar (but probably 'light duty') one on the stable door
and that has served well for many years, I was hoping to find
something with a more substantial bolt (more for ease of fitting than
security) but there's nothing I can see at a sensible price and the
above one ticks all the other boxes.

I was wondering what's wrong with a hasp and combination padlock?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 08/02/2019 10:00, Chris Green wrote:

I've actually come the conclusion that an 'ordinary' mechanical button
operated lock this like this will work fine:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/codelocks...ton-lock/4103t

We have a similar (but probably 'light duty') one on the stable door
and that has served well for many years, I was hoping to find
something with a more substantial bolt (more for ease of fitting than
security) but there's nothing I can see at a sensible price and the
above one ticks all the other boxes.

I was wondering what's wrong with a hasp and combination padlock?

Nothing in principle but less handy to use than a push button type lock.

A hasp and padlock sort of integrated into a single device would be OK
though.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 10:00, Chris Green wrote:

I've actually come the conclusion that an 'ordinary' mechanical button
operated lock this like this will work fine:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/codelocks...ton-lock/4103t

NOT applicable for your application but those type of locks can be very
insecure as well.

They may have 4 digit combination but often it doesn't matter in which
order you press the 4 number buttons. Unless the code is changed
regularly or the buttons are regularly cleaned it can become obvious
which 4 buttons are being used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 08/02/2019 10:00, Chris Green wrote:

I've actually come the conclusion that an 'ordinary' mechanical button
operated lock this like this will work fine:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/codelocks...ton-lock/4103t

NOT applicable for your application but those type of locks can be very
insecure as well.

They may have 4 digit combination but often it doesn't matter in which
order you press the 4 number buttons. Unless the code is changed
regularly or the buttons are regularly cleaned it can become obvious
which 4 buttons are being used.

They are all 'non-sequential' as they call it, but most do have more
than just the 0-9 buttons, they have a couple of letters that can be
part of the combination too. Our stable door one is stainless steel
finish and, even after quite a few years, doesn't really show which
buttons have been used most.

So, not *very* secure no, I quite agree, but adequate for what I want.

As an aside our garage electronic push button keypads are much worse
as regards showing which buttons have been used, it's very obvious.
The only saving grace is that the code is unique and has to be entered
exactly as the right number.

--
Chris Green
·

Chubb combination lock - any ideas what version is this? D.M. Procida UK diy 9 January 5th 10 12:06 AM
Yale Mortice Lock John UK diy 2 February 28th 08 09:08 PM
Which Yale lock? Lobster UK diy 18 July 21st 06 06:39 PM
Replace Yale lock wothout a key [email protected] UK diy 31 April 25th 06 05:11 PM
Key broken off in Yale patio door lock... How to fix? [email protected] Home Repair 16 May 6th 05 05:06 PM