Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Combination lock for outside door - is this Yale any good?

harry wrote:
On Thursday, 7 February 2019 17:48:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I want a simple 'no key' lock for a large garage door (one piece, so
lock next to wall, not in the middle of a pair of doors). It doesn't
have to be incredibly secure, what I'm after is something similar to
the push button mechanical lock we have on our stable door.

Has anyone any experience of this Yale combination bolt:-

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/...ing-Bolt-120Mm

What other options are there? Can you get 'large' versions of the
push button latches? The standard door ones would be a bit
lightweight for the garage door.

--
Chris Green
·

The weak point in many garages/outbuildings is the roof which is often very flimsy.

No point in having just one part of a building super secure.

Goodness, why is everyone trying to tell me how secure (or not) my
garage should be! I just want a way to 'lock' (as in prevent passers
by, children, etc. entering) the door.

Security is a non-issue hereabouts (happily), we quite often forget to
shut the garage doors overnight and have never had anything taken in
the twenty years or more that we have been here. The side door to the
garage is rarely locked, neither are our shed doors and there are
tools and such in the sheds.

But I do want to be able to lock the door a *bit* more securely than
just latching it.

I've actually come the conclusion that an 'ordinary' mechanical button
operated lock this like this will work fine:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/codelocks...ton-lock/4103t

We have a similar (but probably 'light duty') one on the stable door
and that has served well for many years, I was hoping to find
something with a more substantial bolt (more for ease of fitting than
security) but there's nothing I can see at a sensible price and the
above one ticks all the other boxes.

--
Chris Green
·