Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gridwatch: New Belgian interonnector is up and running.

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:59:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

A lot of demand for the weekend, though.

Just as well we have some wind - given that it has been quite a windy day
I would have expected more unless it is just windy down the East Coast.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 February 2019 18:27:50 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:59:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

A lot of demand for the weekend, though.

Just as well we have some wind - given that it has been quite a windy day
I would have expected more unless it is just windy down the East Coast.

Cheers

It's windy all the time. It just moves around.
The purpose of these interconnectors is to "follow" the wind about as the Atlantic low pressure systems transit the UK and Europe.

Poor old TurNiP hasn't worked that out yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 12:59:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

What's the import tariff on electricity under WTO rules?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

What's the import tariff on electricity under WTO rules?

Under the WTO rules, any country is free to have any tariff is
likes just as long as the same tariff applies to imports from all
countries that don't have a trade agreement with that country.

And it's rare to have a tariff on an intangible like electricity anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

What's the import tariff on electricity under WTO rules?

Under the WTO rules, any country is free to have any tariff is
likes just as long as the same tariff applies to imports from all
countries that don't have a trade agreement with that country.

And it's rare to have a tariff on an intangible like electricity anyway.

Well basically we only import leccy from the EU countries and export it
to them, so any tarriffs would vut both ways. Since we import more than
we export (exceopt to Ireland) teh net effect of tarriffs woul dbe tyo
increase electricity prices in GB and Ireland. And reduce profits in the EU.

We dont NEED to import. Its just chepaer as France has a lot of spare
nuke power.

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus

wrote:

[...]

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??

A 2 GW cable to Frogland..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry scribeth thus
On Saturday, 2 February 2019 18:27:50 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:59:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

A lot of demand for the weekend, though.

Just as well we have some wind - given that it has been quite a windy day
I would have expected more unless it is just windy down the East Coast.

Cheers

It's windy all the time. It just moves around.
The purpose of these interconnectors is to "follow" the wind about as the
Atlantic low pressure systems transit the UK and Europe.

Poor old TurNiP hasn't worked that out yet.

Poor old Harry and some wallah's at our council haven't worked out that
if you covered the whole UK that you will still be short of power as the
wind doesn't blow as much as you think it might!..

This week the great and good at our local council proclaimed that they
were to get rid of those fossil fuel burner cars and go all electric.

But they have also stipulated that no power station shalt burn fossil
fuels to power them!!

Now seeing that we have around 5-6 GW of Nuclear power around 6-8 GW of
wind on a windy day around 3 or 4 of Solar on a bright sunny day sod all
Hydro and then theres the imports from Nuke driven France.

Never mind the fact that we can on some days of high demand barely meet
the existing load.

What I'd like to know is how do they sleep at night publishing such
UN-thought thru Bollix?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??
A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

Except France isn't so committed to nuclear power going forwards ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 09:22, tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??

A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

I wonder how a connector scores for energy security given the French
have their own issues with future generating capacity (and I assume
would have a switch at their end).

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 09:38, Andy Burns wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??
A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

Except France isn't so committed to nuclear power going forwards ...

Correction: Macron and the EU are not,

Competes with their chums windymills.
And Russian Gas.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2019 09:29, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
harry scribeth thus
On Saturday, 2 February 2019 18:27:50 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:59:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

A lot of demand for the weekend, though.

Just as well we have some wind - given that it has been quite a windy day
I would have expected more unless it is just windy down the East Coast.

Cheers

It's windy all the time. It just moves around.
The purpose of these interconnectors is to "follow" the wind about as the
Atlantic low pressure systems transit the UK and Europe.

Poor old TurNiP hasn't worked that out yet.

Well Harry.

I built Gridwacth to get a figure in that exact point.

8 years later its clear that te wind is not awlays blowing somewhere
hard enough to make windpower in any sense a reliable source of power,
and if it is blowing in the north of scotland only, and te rest of the
continent is belcalmed, you seed so much cable to connect to them that
yu could just as well coveer the country in Hinkley Point reactors for
far less.

Poor old Harry and some wallah's at our council haven't worked out that
if you covered the whole UK that you will still be short of power as the
wind doesn't blow as much as you think it might!..

This week the great and good at our local council proclaimed that they
were to get rid of those fossil fuel burner cars and go all electric.

But they have also stipulated that no power station shalt burn fossil
fuels to power them!!

Now seeing that we have around 5-6 GW of Nuclear power around 6-8 GW of
wind on a windy day around 3 or 4 of Solar on a bright sunny day sod all
Hydro and then theres the imports from Nuke driven France.

Never mind the fact that we can on some days of high demand barely meet
the existing load.

What I'd like to know is how do they sleep at night publishing such
UN-thought thru Bollix?..

They are simply terminally stupid.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 09:22:10 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??

A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

IFA2 is 1GW and Eleclink the same, both for completion next year so your wish is
granted. Just in time for the French Nukes to start large scale decommissioning

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 07:38:26 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

It's windy all the time. It just moves around.
The purpose of these interconnectors is to "follow" the wind about as the Atlantic low pressure systems transit the UK and Europe.

Poor old TurNiP hasn't worked that out yet.

The Interconnectors to the UK are really nothing to do with following the wind,
The orignal cross channel link was built in 1961, when wind turbines were used
for pumping water and nothing more.

IFA (1986) was built around the time the UK had precisely one grid connected
wind turbine, and the French were still burning a ****load of coal. Imports
over the link now average around 90g/KWh, almost without exception this is
nuclear excess.

BritNed was under construction before the UK climate chage act came into force
and as of today it carries generation at an average of around 500g/kWh CO2,
either gas or coal or lignite

Nemo Link to Belgium imports and exports carbon based generation averaging
somewhere around 350g/kWh, clearly well in excess of 'low carbon' wind

IFA2 and ElecLink (2020) will connect to France, a country still with
overwhelming levels of Nuclear generation and not much wind generation (less
than the UK in both absolute and percentage terms)

Viking Link (2023) will connect to Denmark, a country where they have almost the
most expensive energy on the planet because they routinely spill 'excess' wind
onto the Euro grid at zero or negative prices and import from
Norway/Sweden/Germany at max prices in total desperation most days

North Sea Link (2021) will connect Norway and the UK, Norway has, in the words
of Paul Daniels, not a lot of wind generation.

The two links to Ireland, East-West to the republic and Moyle to the North might
possibly have some degree of permitting wind following compared to the mainland
of the UK, the former far more than the latter, but the amounts are quite
piffling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

What's the import tariff on electricity under WTO rules?

Under the WTO rules, any country is free to have any tariff is
likes just as long as the same tariff applies to imports from all
countries that don't have a trade agreement with that country.

And it's rare to have a tariff on an intangible like electricity anyway.

Well basically we only import leccy from the EU countries and export it
to them, so any tarriffs would vut both ways. Since we import more than
we export (exceopt to Ireland) teh net effect of tarriffs woul dbe tyo
increase electricity prices in GB and Ireland. And reduce profits in the
EU.

No, tariffs are on imports, so we could have zero tariffs on electricity
imports. If the EU want to impose tarrifs on our exports that's up to them.

We dont NEED to import. Its just chepaer as France has a lot of spare
nuke power.

--
djc

(–€̀¿Ä¹̀¯–€̀¿ ̀¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I was assuming we did a tit for tat to punish them...

We dont NEED to import. Its just chepaer as France has a lot of spare
nuke power.

--
€œPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 09:38:11 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??
A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

Except France isn't so committed to nuclear power going forwards ...

Hardly surprising considering the lies about nuclear power perpetrated now and in the past by idiots like TurNiP.

They've had their cheap electricity, now the French taxpayer will have to foot the decommissioning bill.
You can expect more riots over the tax hikes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 09:38:24 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
harry scribeth thus
[...]

There will have to be lots more turbines and other sources of renewable energy.
Nuclear power is being abandoned on cost and safety issues.
Gas will tide us over the long period needed to set this up.

In the USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nited_S tates

UK
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nu-gen-cumbria

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...angelsey-wales

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??
A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

Except France isn't so committed to nuclear power going forwards ...

Hardly surprising considering the lies about nuclear power perpetrated now
and in the past by idiots like TurNiP.

They've had their cheap electricity, now the French
taxpayer will have to foot the decommissioning bill.

Which is in fact **** all for France.

You can expect more riots over the tax hikes.

Even sillier than you usually manage, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Fantasy.

Nuclear power is being abandoned on cost and safety issues.

More of your bare faced lies.

Gas will tide us over the long period needed to set this up.

Until you lot have enough of a clue to have new nukes.

In the USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nited_S tates

Because currently they have plenty of gas. Wont be true forever, stupid.

UK
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nu-gen-cumbria

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...angelsey-wales

Just the one operation that is that stupid, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:28:14 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Just the one operation that is that stupid, stupid.

What could be stupider than a 85-year-old senile pest whose ONLY kick in
life is trolling on Usenet like there was no tomorrow! Let's just hope that
there REALLY won't be too many tomorrows left for you, cretin!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:24:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

They've had their cheap electricity, now the French
taxpayer will have to foot the decommissioning bill.

Which is in fact **** all for France.

ONLY in your senile Ozzie head, senile Ozzie cretin!

You can expect more riots over the tax hikes.

Even sillier than you usually manage, as always.

What could be sillier than an 85-year-old trolling cretin!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

wrote:

[...]

Punish them or punish consumers here?

We dont NEED to import. Its just chepaer as France has a lot of spare
nuke power.

--
djc

(–€̀¿Ä¹̀¯–€̀¿ ̀¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??
A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

Except France isn't so committed to nuclear power going forwards ...

So what is it going to use then?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Robin
scribeth thus
On 05/02/2019 09:22, tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??

A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

I wonder how a connector scores for energy security given the French
have their own issues with future generating capacity (and I assume
would have a switch at their end).

Yes but looking at GW for France, France does seem to be the power
station of Europe!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2019 07:46, harry wrote:
Hardly surprising considering the lies about nuclear power perpetrated now and in the past by idiots like TurNiP.

They've had their cheap electricity, now the French taxpayer will have to foot the decommissioning bill.
You can expect more riots over the tax hikes.

They're already rioting over tax hikes.

And that's got nothing whatsoever to do with nuclear power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement

(one of the causes is apparently a carbon tax...)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2019 20:56, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??
A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

Except France isn't so committed to nuclear power going forwards ...

So what is it going to use then?..

Pixie dust and Unicorn farts.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2019 20:58, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Robin
scribeth thus
On 05/02/2019 09:22, tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??

A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

I wonder how a connector scores for energy security given the French
have their own issues with future generating capacity (and I assume
would have a switch at their end).

Yes but looking at GW for France, France does seem to be the power
station of Europe!...

Germany is when the sun shines or the wnd blows. When they stop its in
poor shape.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2019 22:04, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 06/02/2019 07:46, harry wrote:
Hardly surprising considering the lies about nuclear power
perpetrated now
and in the past by idiots like TurNiP.

They've had their cheap electricity, now the French taxpayer will
have to
foot the decommissioning bill.
You can expect more riots over the tax hikes.

They're already rioting over tax hikes.

And that's got nothing whatsoever to do with nuclear power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement

(one of the causes is apparently a carbon tax...)

Yes, the yellow vests business continues apace in France, mostly
unreported by the MSM because it makes the EU look bad.

Didnt the Italians just throw the French ambassador out of Italy?

It's war, Jim, but not as we know it.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/02/2019 07:46, harry wrote:
Hardly surprising considering the lies about nuclear power perpetrated
now
and in the past by idiots like TurNiP.

They've had their cheap electricity, now the French taxpayer will have
foot the decommissioning bill.
You can expect more riots over the tax hikes.

They're already rioting over tax hikes.

And that's got nothing whatsoever to do with nuclear power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement

(one of the causes is apparently a carbon tax...)

Yes, the yellow vests business continues apace in France, mostly
unreported by the MSM because it makes the EU look bad.

Didnt the Italians just throw the French ambassador out of Italy?

Nope, that fool Macron did a dummy spit and told him to come
home after some Italian minister dared to talk to some of them.

It's war, Jim, but not as we know it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 04:20, 2987fr wrote:

Didnt the Italians just throw the French ambassador out of Italy?

Nope, that fool Macron did a dummy spit and told him to come
home after some Italian minister dared to talk to some of them.

Ah. I knew it was some kind of bijoux spatette.

It's war, Jim, but not as we know it.

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 February 2019 21:27:50 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 06/02/2019 07:46, harry wrote:
Hardly surprising considering the lies about nuclear power perpetrated now and in the past by idiots like TurNiP.

They've had their cheap electricity, now the French taxpayer will have to foot the decommissioning bill.
You can expect more riots over the tax hikes.

They're already rioting over tax hikes.

And that's got nothing whatsoever to do with nuclear power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement

(one of the causes is apparently a carbon tax...)

Bollix.
The French taxpayer will now have to foot the nuclear decommissioning bill. There is no avoiding it.
You really ARE a ****-fer-brains

https://energypost.eu/how-much-will-...nuclear-fleet/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 February 2019 20:57:23 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??
A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

Except France isn't so committed to nuclear power going forwards ...

So what is it going to use then?..
--
Tony Sayer

Wind turbines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_France
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 February 2019 21:27:50 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 06/02/2019 07:46, harry wrote:
Hardly surprising considering the lies about nuclear power perpetrated
now and in the past by idiots like TurNiP.

They've had their cheap electricity, now the French taxpayer will have
to foot the decommissioning bill.
You can expect more riots over the tax hikes.

They're already rioting over tax hikes.

And that's got nothing whatsoever to do with nuclear power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement

(one of the causes is apparently a carbon tax...)

Bollix.

Your sig is sposed to be LAST with a line with just -- on it in front of it,
stupid.

The French taxpayer will now have to foot the nuclear
decommissioning bill. There is no avoiding it.

Wrong, as always. They are free to defuel the nuke they
stop using and build another next to it and just leave it.

You really ARE a ****-fer-brains

https://energypost.eu/how-much-will-...nuclear-fleet/

Just more anti nuke bull**** and lies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 February 2019 21:07:24 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Robin
scribeth thus
On 05/02/2019 09:22, tony sayer wrote:

Cheapest way to make another nuke here??

A 2 GW cable to Frogland..

I wonder how a connector scores for energy security given the French
have their own issues with future generating capacity (and I assume
would have a switch at their end).

Yes but looking at GW for France, France does seem to be the power
station of Europe!...

For now. Their nuclear power stations are nearing the end of their life.
BUT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_France

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilv.../#25ca529a1d27
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

the yellow vests business continues apace in France

Didnt the Italians just throw the French ambassador out of Italy?
It's war, Jim, but not as we know it.

I thought the French withdrew their ambassador from Italy because the
Italian deputy PM held meetings (in France) with the yellow jackets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

looking at GW for France, France does seem to be the power
station of Europe!...

But they're turning off nukes to cut them from over 70% of supply to
50%, ramping up carbon taxes and greenp-support surcharges
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

the yellow vests business continues apace in France

Didnt the Italians just throw the French ambassador out of Italy? It's
war, Jim, but not as we know it.

I thought the French withdrew their ambassador from Italy because the
Italian deputy PM held meetings (in France) with the yellow jackets?

You are probably right. I just fleetingly recall there being some
'friction' bweteen Italy and France.

It seems odd to have embassies when you are all a part of the same
'country' - the EU. Rather like Guildford having an embassy in Leeds.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

Tim Streater wrote:

the yellow vests business continues apace in France

Didnt the Italians just throw the French ambassador out of Italy? It's
war, Jim, but not as we know it.

I thought the French withdrew their ambassador from Italy because the
Italian deputy PM held meetings (in France) with the yellow jackets?

You are probably right. I just fleetingly recall there being some
'friction' bweteen Italy and France.

It seems odd to have embassies when you are all a part of the same
'country' - the EU. Rather like Guildford having an embassy in Leeds.

It shows that tehn EU isn't a "country".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England