Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Gridwatch: New Belgian interonnector is up and running.

On Thursday, 7 February 2019 21:51:02 UTC, DJC wrote:
On 05/02/2019 20:51, DJC wrote:
On 04/02/2019 20:40, 2987fr wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 12:59:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more
coal in
place.

What's the import tariff on electricity under WTO rules?

Under the WTO rules, any country is free to have any tariff is
likes just as long as the same tariff applies to imports from all
countries that don't have a trade agreement with that country.

And it's rare to have a tariff on an intangible like electricity
anyway.

Well basically we only import leccy from the EU countries and export
it to them, so any tarriffs would vut both ways. Since we import more
than we export (exceopt to Ireland) teh net effect of tarriffs woul
dbe tyo increase electricity prices in GB and Ireland. And reduce
profits in the EU.

No, tariffs are on imports, so we could have zero tariffs on
electricity imports. If the EU want to impose tarrifs on our exports
that's up to them.

I was assuming we did a tit for tat to punish them...

Punish them or punish consumers here?

We dont NEED to import. Its just chepaer as France has a lot of spare
nuke power.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilv.../#25ca529a1d27