Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Gridwatch: New Belgian interonnector is up and running.

On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 09:38:24 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
harry scribeth thus
On Saturday, 2 February 2019 18:27:50 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:59:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

See also exceptionally high demand at the moment and yes, bugger all
wind or solar.

Not critical yet - there's still some CCGT OCGT and a bit more coal in
place.

A lot of demand for the weekend, though.

Just as well we have some wind - given that it has been quite a windy day
I would have expected more unless it is just windy down the East Coast.

Cheers

It's windy all the time. It just moves around.
The purpose of these interconnectors is to "follow" the wind about as the
Atlantic low pressure systems transit the UK and Europe.

Poor old TurNiP hasn't worked that out yet.

Poor old Harry and some wallah's at our council haven't worked out that
if you covered the whole UK that you will still be short of power as the
wind doesn't blow as much as you think it might!..

This week the great and good at our local council proclaimed that they
were to get rid of those fossil fuel burner cars and go all electric.

But they have also stipulated that no power station shalt burn fossil
fuels to power them!!

Now seeing that we have around 5-6 GW of Nuclear power around 6-8 GW of
wind on a windy day around 3 or 4 of Solar on a bright sunny day sod all
Hydro and then theres the imports from Nuke driven France.

Never mind the fact that we can on some days of high demand barely meet
the existing load.

What I'd like to know is how do they sleep at night publishing such
UN-thought thru Bollix?..

--
Tony Sayer

There will have to be lots more turbines and other sources of renewable energy.
Nuclear power is being abandoned on cost and safety issues.
Gas will tide us over the long period needed to set this up.

In the USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nited_S tates

UK
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nu-gen-cumbria