Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic repair

Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded. What if anything could I do about it?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular
blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving
a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm
surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded.
What if anything could I do about it?

I'd try Sugru.

In fact I have a similar problem with my vertical freezer.
It has roll out bins and the front left hand rail on the
second shelf has had the pin that attaches it to the
wall shear. Havent gotten around to trying it myself
yet tho. Have bought the Sugru.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 14:20:55 UTC, TimW wrote:
On 30/01/2019 13:52, tabbypurr wrote:

Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded. What if anything could I do about it?

Fridges, all of them afaict have rubbish inside fittings made of the
cheapest plastics which in my experience break and make the fridge
useless long before the thing stops working. I have in the past tried to
mend the clear and the white plastics with other bits of plastic and
solvents and adhesives without much success.

Pieces of wood, screws and PVA is my best advice.

TW

but what to screw it to? There's nothing that would have anything like enough strength to rely on a screw fixing or 2.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 14:23:26 UTC, GB wrote:
On 30/01/2019 13:52, tabbypurr wrote:

Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded. What if anything could I do about it?

How strong is the foam?

zero

I suspect that a structurally sound but ugly
solution is to put a couple of screws through the side of the milk shelf
into the foam.

they wouldn't even screw in, there's no strength to it at all.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 16:17:30 UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded. What if anything could I do about it?

NT

Blob of expanding foam, assuming you have some that hasn't solidified?
Cut to shape with a breadknife and painted.

I can't see any hope that 2 very small blobs of that would hold a milk shelf.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 18:21:29 UTC, Nick Odell wrote:
On 30/01/2019 13:52, tabbypurr wrote:

Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded. What if anything could I do about it?

I've got a similar problem which I haven't fixed yet since the only sure
way I can think of seems to be ridiculously over-engineered for the
purpose. I'm still thinking it through but this is what I'm up to so far.

Grab some thin-ish flat thermoplastic sheet. I'm thinking of the
packaging for toothbrushes, SD cards and the like.Make a male and female
mould the shape and size of the broken button. I've got loads of old
scraps of plywood to do that with and I'll probably build it up with
some Milliput then trim it down to size.

Heat up the plastic and mould it into shape making sure you have a nice,
large flange all the way round the button.

When it's cooled down use contact adhesive to glue the large plastic
flange onto the inside of the fridge door - making sure the button lines
up, of course.

And yes - since you ask - I have got all day to fiddle around with
things like that :-)

Nick

I didn't think there was room for a flange, but will go & look later. If there is that might work.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 21:03:14 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote

Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular
blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving
a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm
surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded.
What if anything could I do about it?

I'd try Sugru.

that might even work, if I undercut the foam insulation. Corn starch in a fridge is a bad idea though, what else could I fill the silicone with?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2019 23:41, wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing that sort of plastic is only about 0.5mm thick so I imagine
there'll be some tolerance in the parts.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 21:03:14 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote

Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular
blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving
a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm
surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded.
What if anything could I do about it?

I'd try Sugru.

that might even work, if I undercut the foam insulation. Corn starch in a
fridge is a bad idea though, what else could I fill the silicone with?

If its possible to get at the back of the inner wall,
no reason why you can't have a blob of Sugru there.

Might even be viable to use a hole saw on the outside
wall so you can have a hole to put the Sugru in behind
the wall and then just have a plate to cover the hole later.

On mine the milk tray is inside the door and the blobs
that the tray engage with are on the 40mm deep frame
of the door so you can just cut a hole in the outer of
that to put a sugru blob inside that 15mm deep frame
to have a big blob of Sugru replace the whole blob
that the milk tray slides onto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I suppose that you could screw through the side of the shelf into the
plastic liner with some coarse self-tapping screws?

Screw through the 'tin' from the outside!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 31/01/2019 08:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Glue a piece of plastic over the rest of the flat bit to distribute the
weight. It has to be clean though, and be careful some adhesives do not like
the low temperatures. I did this many years ago on an old Toshiba fridge it
lasted for over 10 years till the fridge died.

I think I used contact adhesive. Evo stick or similar, and a piece of
Perspex about 1/8th inch thick and about three inches long and 1 inch deep.
OK so it was not beautiful but the shelf was fine!
Brian

Update:
Got a piece of plastic to shape (tight fit) and used an epoxy glue which
appears to have worked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 February 2019 19:17:19 UTC, ss wrote:
On 31/01/2019 08:41, Brian Gaff wrote:

Glue a piece of plastic over the rest of the flat bit to distribute the
weight. It has to be clean though, and be careful some adhesives do not like
the low temperatures. I did this many years ago on an old Toshiba fridge it
lasted for over 10 years till the fridge died.

I think I used contact adhesive. Evo stick or similar, and a piece of
Perspex about 1/8th inch thick and about three inches long and 1 inch deep.
OK so it was not beautiful but the shelf was fine!
Brian

Update:
Got a piece of plastic to shape (tight fit) and used an epoxy glue which
appears to have worked.

I've not done mine yet, but plan to use ms polymer sealant to form a replacement block in situ after scraping the foam back so the sealant can get behind it.

We need a wiki section on this

NT