Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Plastic repair

On 30/01/2019 13:52, wrote:
Fridge door plastic liner has 2 little moulded in rectangular blocks that support the milk shelf. One has sheared off, leaving a flat surface with foam exposed. The plastic is very thin, I'm surprised it didn't snap off the first time it was loaded. What if anything could I do about it?

I've got a similar problem which I haven't fixed yet since the only sure
way I can think of seems to be ridiculously over-engineered for the
purpose. I'm still thinking it through but this is what I'm up to so far.

Grab some thin-ish flat thermoplastic sheet. I'm thinking of the
packaging for toothbrushes, SD cards and the like.Make a male and female
mould the shape and size of the broken button. I've got loads of old
scraps of plywood to do that with and I'll probably build it up with
some Milliput then trim it down to size.

Heat up the plastic and mould it into shape making sure you have a nice,
large flange all the way round the button.

When it's cooled down use contact adhesive to glue the large plastic
flange onto the inside of the fridge door - making sure the button lines
up, of course.

And yes - since you ask - I have got all day to fiddle around with
things like that :-)

Nick