Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall wart question

I'm looking for the wall wart for an exercise bike in my bin of such
things.
It needs 9v 0.5A and i've found one that's 9.6v 0.6A which (accepting
there's no danger of ever finding the original) is closer than I
expected to get.
But I have a 12v 1A with a longer cable, past experience tells me there
will be no bother using that but is it a problem? And if not when is it
likely to become one?

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2019 16:47, R D S wrote:
I'm looking for the wall wart for an exercise bike in my bin of such
things.
It needs 9v 0.5A and i've found one that's 9.6v 0.6A which (accepting
there's no danger of ever finding the original) is closer than I
expected to get.
But I have a 12v 1A with a longer cable, past experience tells me there
will be no bother using that but is it a problem? And if not when is it
likely to become one?

Depends on whether the bike has any regulation on its input. It probably
does (assuming this is just an electronic readout of speed / distance
etc). The 9.6V one would be the better bet.

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

The main difference will usually be a light weight switch mode design vs
a older style linear supply. The older ones will have much heavier
transformers.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2019 16:47, R D S wrote:
I'm looking for the wall wart for an exercise bike in my bin of such
things.
It needs 9v 0.5A and i've found one that's 9.6v 0.6A which (accepting
there's no danger of ever finding the original) is closer than I
expected to get.
But I have a 12v 1A with a longer cable, past experience tells me there
will be no bother using that but is it a problem? And if not when is it
likely to become one?

Just before the smoke.

Open it up. If the PCB copper traces wind up *only* at a 7805 regulator
than it shouldn't be a real problem, except probably a little more heat
- perhaps arrange ventilation or a bigger regulator heatsink. If they go
elsewhere, than bets are off - it may be running analogue circuitry, I
guess amplifiers / comparators and the like for this kind of application.

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Some "linear" use large transformers run at 50Hz, some "SMPS" use
smaller transformers run at 20kHz upwards with more electronics to go
bang.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm brought next idea :
Depends on whether the bike has any regulation on its input. It probably does
(assuming this is just an electronic readout of speed / distance etc). The
9.6V one would be the better bet.

There has been no mention of ac or dc output/input?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you want to lose 0.6 - 0.7V put a diode in series on the positive output.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm assuming all of these are analogue ones, ie Heavy to pick up. If so then
probably the 12v one is using a better specified transformer. Be careful
though, as unless you are sure the device is able to accept raw DC you
might have issues with ripple.
Also I had two here for an old dab radio, one gets so hot it has partly
melted the case the other runs cool. The only reason for the difference as
far as I can see is that the transformer in the hot one is crap.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
I'm looking for the wall wart for an exercise bike in my bin of such
things.
It needs 9v 0.5A and i've found one that's 9.6v 0.6A which (accepting
there's no danger of ever finding the original) is closer than I expected
to get.
But I have a 12v 1A with a longer cable, past experience tells me there
will be no bother using that but is it a problem? And if not when is it
likely to become one?

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a build
quality issue?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I'm looking for the wall wart for an exercise bike in my bin of such
things.
It needs 9v 0.5A and i've found one that's 9.6v 0.6A which (accepting
there's no danger of ever finding the original) is closer than I expected
to get.

But I have a 12v 1A with a longer cable, past experience tells me there
will be no bother using that but is it a problem?

Unlikely to be a problem but its possible that a badly
designed exercise bike might have a problem with it.

And if not when is it likely to become one?

Again, impossible to say. It depends on what
the internal voltage regulator has heatsink wise.

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk?

The ones with iron cored transformers are much
bigger than modern switch mode wall warts.

Is this just a build quality issue?

Nope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer. SMPSes just use a smaller one.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

SMPSes just use a smaller one.

Wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

those aren't legal here

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

SMPSes just use a smaller one.

Wrong, as always.

you are, as usual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?
How do you know what voltage they produce and how will it convert the AC to DC.

SMPSes just use a smaller one.

Wrong, as always.

They mostly use smaller transformers and therefore lighter than the older sytle linear ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?

The capacitance determines the AC current.

How do you know what voltage they produce

They are regulated after the cap.

and how will it convert the AC to DC.

There's rectification for that.

SMPSes just use a smaller one.

Wrong, as always.

They mostly use smaller transformers and

therefore lighter than the older sytle linear ones.

Duh, but not ALWAYS as the cat claimed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?
How do you know what voltage they produce and how will it convert the AC to DC.

SMPSes just use a smaller one.

Wrong, as always.

They mostly use smaller transformers and therefore lighter than the older sytle linear ones.

they don't mostly use them, they always use them. It's how isolating SMPSUs work.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?
How do you know what voltage they produce and how will it convert the AC to DC.

SMPSes just use a smaller one.

Wrong, as always.

They mostly use smaller transformers and therefore lighter than the older sytle linear ones.

they don't mostly use them, they always use them. It's how isolating SMPSUs work.

Afraid not. You are in for a surprise if you look inside some of the
cheap 'Chinese' wall warts.

Of course, they aren't then isolating PSUs but how often do they claim
to be?

Likewise, things like 'Smart' light bulbs which require a low voltage to
power the 'Smart' circuitry, don't bother with a transformer- sometimes
just a crude resistor and zener, others use one of the (cheap) chips
designed to implement simple PSUs, like the LM2575.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

[...]

not legal here

Likewise, things like 'Smart' light bulbs which require a low voltage to
power the 'Smart' circuitry, don't bother with a transformer- sometimes
just a crude resistor and zener, others use one of the (cheap) chips
designed to implement simple PSUs, like the LM2575.

A lightbulb is not a wallwart. Wallwarts require isolation.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?
How do you know what voltage they produce and how will it convert the AC
to DC.

SMPSes just use a smaller one.

Wrong, as always.

They mostly use smaller transformers and therefore lighter than the older
sytle linear ones.

they don't mostly use them, they always use them.

No they dont with the always. Have a look at some of Big Clive's teardowns
sometime.

It's how isolating SMPSUs work.

But isnt the only way wall warts are done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:

[...]

Thats a lie.

Likewise, things like 'Smart' light bulbs which require a low voltage to
power the 'Smart' circuitry, don't bother with a transformer- sometimes
just a crude resistor and zener, others use one of the (cheap) chips
designed to implement simple PSUs, like the LM2575.

A lightbulb is not a wallwart. Wallwarts require isolation.

No they do not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?

Did they not teach you the impedance of a capacitor then?

Well yes but it's really Reactance you're refering to isn't it.

And we donlt in the UK for wall marts use capacitors to drop the voltage.

It is a potential divider for AC implemented with capacitors rather than
resistors. It is the capacitive equivalent of an autotransformer.

except they aren't really used , it;s OK in theory for an idea capacitor but they don't exist in the real world.

Snag is that there is no isolation of the mains this way.

Another reason we donlt use them in the UK.

The "low
voltage" output can find itself at mains potential if the wrong
capacitor fails open circuit. Killed some Apple user in the bath.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...g-iphone-bath/

I actually fail to see how he was killed by a genuine Apple charging
device - all the ones I have seen were properly engineered.

Not a very good report is it.
It shows the headphone to lightning adapter as the charger ?
It also says that the charger was in the bath which is a differnt type of accident, and what;'s this extention cord they are refering to ?

"We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable and then the charger element in the bath," he explained."

How do you know what voltage they produce and how will it convert the AC to DC.

Electronic engineering and rather simple formulae.

Which only works in theory NOT in the real world unless you;re making cheap chinese chargers.
The forst enalrger timer I built from a magazine used a 10W 33K dropper resistor to power a 555.

I used to have a battery charger for NiCd button cells that consisted of
a resistor and a diode. In a ventilated plastic case with a little
carrier thing to insert the cell. (Used for a teeny Russian LW/MW
personal radio about 1"x3/4"x1/4" which used thin film integration and
six transistors.)

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this
just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?

The capacitance determines the AC current.

But most devices are voltage driver.

Thats why you rectify and regulate it after the cap, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?

Did they not teach you the impedance of a capacitor then?

Well yes but it's really Reactance you're refering to isn't it.

And we donlt in the UK for wall marts use capacitors to drop the voltage.

Wrong, as always.

It is a potential divider for AC implemented with capacitors rather than
resistors. It is the capacitive equivalent of an autotransformer.

except they aren't really used ,

Corse they are.

it;s OK in theory for an idea capacitor
but they don't exist in the real world.

Doesnt have to be an ideal capacitor.

[...]

Still the real world.

The forst enalrger timer I built from a magazine
used a 10W 33K dropper resistor to power a 555.

And a capacitor works much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2019 12:42, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Sounds a bit like my Bremshey.

It is a Bremshey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
[...]

When was using NiCd they needed a constant current charger.
But like any battery yuo can charge it any way you lijke if your're not worried about effecincy it's life or safety.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this
just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?

The capacitance determines the AC current.

But most devices are voltage driver.

Thats why you rectify and regulate it after the cap, stupid.

Which is why the AC current is pretty irrelivant.
When was the last time you saw a circuit or device that stated the capacitance and AC current ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 13:39:43 UTC, whisky-daveÂ* wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 04:16:40 UTC, Rod SpeedÂ* wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â* R D S wrote:

[...]

They may not be legal in the UK but you can still buy them on eBay with
relative ease. CE on cheap Chinese junk does actually mean *anything*.

Exactly and, without either looking inside or some measurements, you
can't tell if one is isolated or not. Some off the 'Chinese copies' of
quality power supplies are, externally, darn near perfect copies- if not
perfect.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?

Did they not teach you the impedance of a capacitor then?

Well yes but it's really Reactance you're refering to isn't it.

And we donlt in the UK for wall marts use capacitors to drop the voltage.

Wrong, as always.

Right as always. You haven;t a clue have you.
tell you what take one aprt and show me these capacitors used to drop voltage.

The "low voltage" output can find itself at mains potential if the wrong
capacitor fails open circuit. Killed some Apple user in the bath.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...g-iphone-bath/

I actually fail to see how he was killed by a genuine Apple charging
device - all the ones I have seen were properly engineered.

Not a very good report is it.
It shows the headphone to lightning adapter as the charger ?
It also says that the charger was in the bath which is a differnt
type of accident, and what;'s this extention cord they are refering to ?

"We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable
and then the charger element in the bath," he explained."

See you couldn't even see through this crap.

The forst enalrger timer I built from a magazine
used a 10W 33K dropper resistor to power a 555.

And a capacitor works much better.

No it doesn't if it did we'd be using them for such things, we don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:

[...]

They might even come out of the same factory, by a different loading bay.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 11:18, charles wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:

[...]

I stand by my claim. An un-isolated wall wart esp with a two pin Euro
plug that puts user equipment at mains potential would not last 5
minutes ..it would be lethal

Its trivial to make an isolated one..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I stand by my claim. An un-isolated wall wart esp with a two pin Euro
plug that puts user equipment at mains potential would not last 5
minutes ..it would be lethal

Its trivial to make an isolated one..

It maybe trivial but bigclive and others have shown ones that aren't
isolated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this
just a
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller
and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?

The capacitance determines the AC current.

But most devices are voltage driver.

Thats why you rectify and regulate it after the cap, stupid.

Which is why the AC current is pretty irrelivant.

Corse it isnt, thats what determines what power is available.

When was the last time you saw a circuit or device
that stated the capacitance and AC current ?

With a wall wart done that way, you still have the usual
statement about the output voltage and current, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?
How do you know what voltage they produce and how will it convert the AC to DC.

SMPSes just use a smaller one.

Wrong, as always.

They mostly use smaller transformers and therefore lighter than the older sytle linear ones.

they don't mostly use them, they always use them. It's how isolating SMPSUs work.

NT

When there's a liklihood that the current will drawn will mostly be at the higher end of the rating they don't use small transformers to save money.

When you know a triac from a passing car let us know eh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 17:09:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this
just
build quality issue?

Older ones will have a transformer. Newer ones a SMPS - smaller
and
lighter.

All wallwarts use a transformer.

Not all of them do. Some of the lower
power ones just use a capacitor dropper.

How do they work then ?

Did they not teach you the impedance of a capacitor then?

Well yes but it's really Reactance you're refering to isn't it.

And we donlt in the UK for wall marts use capacitors to drop the
voltage.

Wrong, as always.

tell you what take one aprt and show me
these capacitors used to drop voltage.

Big Clive has done that, mostly with chargers.

?

"We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable
and then the charger element in the bath," he explained."

The forst enalrger timer I built from a magazine
used a 10W 33K dropper resistor to power a 555.

And a capacitor works much better.

No it doesn't if it did we'd be using them for such things, we don't.

Done quite a bit with internal power supplys for lower power devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 February 2019 11:11:25 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 31 January 2019 18:55:32 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

And we donlt in the UK for wall marts use capacitors to drop the voltage.

Wrong, as always.

Right as always. You haven;t a clue have you.

neither of you has

The forst enalrger timer I built from a magazine
used a 10W 33K dropper resistor to power a 555.

And a capacitor works much better.

No it doesn't if it did we'd be using them for such things, we don't.

that's naive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 February 2019 11:41:42 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I stand by my claim. An un-isolated wall wart esp with a two pin Euro
plug that puts user equipment at mains potential would not last 5
minutes ..it would be lethal

Its trivial to make an isolated one..

Yup. I have however come across a CR PSU that had droppers on both poles. I_out was low enough to not shock.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 February 2019 18:37:49 UTC, wrote:
On Friday, 1 February 2019 11:41:42 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I stand by my claim. An un-isolated wall wart esp with a two pin Euro
plug that puts user equipment at mains potential would not last 5
minutes ..it would be lethal

Its trivial to make an isolated one..

Yup. I have however come across a CR PSU that had droppers on both poles. I_out was low enough to not shock.

NT

What was that used for?