Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Wall wart question

I'm assuming all of these are analogue ones, ie Heavy to pick up. If so then
probably the 12v one is using a better specified transformer. Be careful
though, as unless you are sure the device is able to accept raw DC you
might have issues with ripple.
Also I had two here for an old dab radio, one gets so hot it has partly
melted the case the other runs cool. The only reason for the difference as
far as I can see is that the transformer in the hot one is crap.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
I'm looking for the wall wart for an exercise bike in my bin of such
things.
It needs 9v 0.5A and i've found one that's 9.6v 0.6A which (accepting
there's no danger of ever finding the original) is closer than I expected
to get.
But I have a 12v 1A with a longer cable, past experience tells me there
will be no bother using that but is it a problem? And if not when is it
likely to become one?

And why do similar rated ones differ so much in bulk? Is this just a build
quality issue?