Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Disable deadlocking mechanism?

I needed to buy a Yale 89 night latch in a hurry, to replace a broken
one. The only one available was one with a deadlocking facility. This is
the only exit from a flat, so it's possible somebody could get locked
in. Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the deadlock on one of
these?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2019 17:35, GB wrote:
I needed to buy a Yale 89 night latch in a hurry, to replace a broken
one. The only one available was one with a deadlocking facility. This is
the only exit from a flat, so it's possible somebody could get locked
in. Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the deadlock on one of
these?

If it is the only exit, then it is the only way in. You can only
deadlock it from the outside. But would a person leaving someone inside
normally deadlock it? Theoretically possible, not much risk if sensibly
managed. I suppose for a couple where one has dementia and is paranoid
about locking up, it might not be a good idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 January 2019 17:50:14 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 26/01/2019 17:35, GB wrote:

I needed to buy a Yale 89 night latch in a hurry, to replace a broken
one. The only one available was one with a deadlocking facility. This is
the only exit from a flat, so it's possible somebody could get locked
in. Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the deadlock on one of
these?

If it is the only exit, then it is the only way in. You can only
deadlock it from the outside. But would a person leaving someone inside
normally deadlock it? Theoretically possible, not much risk if sensibly
managed. I suppose for a couple where one has dementia and is paranoid
about locking up, it might not be a good idea.

It's not just theoretically possible, it's possible and will happen, and is a hazard. Don't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/01/2019 18:50, Tim+ wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
I needed to buy a Yale 89 night latch in a hurry, to replace a broken
one. The only one available was one with a deadlocking facility. This is
the only exit from a flat, so it's possible somebody could get locked
in. Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the deadlock on one of
these?

Surely there's a knob on the inside for deadlocking (and
unlocking) on the inside?

No. It's for glass doors (which this isn't). You turn the key on the
outside, and it locks the whole mechanism inside the lock. I was just
thinking there might be a small lug or something that can be removed
inside the lock mechanism that stops this. I've emailed Yale, but it's
unlikely they'll help.

Otherwise, I'll have to buy a new lock, which is annoying but not the
end of the world.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I thought deadlocks only protected against incoming not outgoing people
using it?

Not much use with a glass panel? Surely a deadlock means my nature it
cannot be opened without a key?

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2019 20:36, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
On 26/01/2019 22:58, wrote:
On Saturday, 26 January 2019 17:50:14 UTC, newshoundÂ* wrote:
On 26/01/2019 17:35, GB wrote:

I needed to buy a Yale 89 night latch in a hurry, to replace a broken
one. The only one available was one with a deadlocking facility.
This is
the only exit from a flat, so it's possible somebody could get locked
in. Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the deadlock on
one of
these?

If it is the only exit, then it is the only way in. You can only
deadlock it from the outside. But would a person leaving someone inside
normally deadlock it? Theoretically possible, not much risk if sensibly
managed. I suppose for a couple where one has dementia and is paranoid
about locking up, it might not be a good idea.

It's not just theoretically possible, it's possible and will happen,
and is a hazard. Don't.

Well *one* almost perfect solution would be to ensure there is only
single key available, attached to a large tag saying "Do Not Deadlock
If Someone is Inside". With a backup, not being used, hung somewhere
like inside an airing cupboard, with an equally large tag.

Fat lot of good that would be with a fire inside the flat with so much
smoke
you can't see where the hell you are going crawling around on the floor.

You are missing the point. That particular latch *ONLY* has a keyhole on
the outside. The point of the spare was if someone manages to lose the
other key (not coincident with a fire). Arguably it would be better to
keep the spare outside the flat.

If the latch had keyholes both sides, like many euro locks, then the
relatively safe option is always to keep a key on the inside. You can do
that with a eurolock because it has two cylinders.

The other case that is *relatively* safe is if the flat is on the ground
floor, and can be exited through a window.

I suspect that with sufficient ingenuity, it might be possible to
disable the deadlock after completely dismantling the unit, but that
might not be a simple DIY job. I havn't looked, but I'd guess Yale don't
publish drawings of the internals.

As Tabs says, it is not an ideal situation (but it is what it is). I am
just exploring mitigations. Whether it is necessary to throw the 89 away
once something else is available is a matter of risk assessment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 07:36:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Fat lot of good that would be with a fire inside the flat with so much smoke
you can't see where the hell you are going crawling around on the floor.

In auto-contradicting mode again, senile Ozzie cretin? BG

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

On 26/01/2019 17:35, GB wrote:

[...]

We'll see...

That particular latch *ONLY* has a keyhole on the outside. The point of
the spare was if someone manages to lose the other key (not coincident
with a fire). Arguably it would be better to keep the spare outside the
flat.

But you will have a significant risk if someone leaves
the flat and deadlocks it using the key with someone
inside. The spare key inside the flat would be useless
even if it could be found with the fire blazing inside.

If the latch had keyholes both sides, like many euro locks, then the
relatively safe option is always to keep a key on the inside. You can do
that with a eurolock because it has two cylinders.

Still have the problem with actually finding the key
when its pitch dark inside the flat going up in flames.

And pointless having the key on a nail beside
the lock where any burglar can use it.

The other case that is *relatively* safe is if the flat is on the ground
floor, and can be exited through a window.

I suspect that with sufficient ingenuity, it might be possible to disable
the deadlock after completely dismantling the unit, but that might not be
a simple DIY job. I havn't looked, but I'd guess Yale don't publish
drawings of the internals.

But someone may have youtubed it or just have done a teardown.

As Tabs says, it is not an ideal situation (but it is what it is). I am
just exploring mitigations. Whether it is necessary to throw the 89 away
once something else is available is a matter of risk assessment.

Silly to take a risk with something that important unless its a ground
floor flat. Even if it is, not a great idea to require someone like child
to have to think of using the window. And kids have been known to
set fire to a flat playing with matches. I wouldnt risk it myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 09:28:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

You are missing the point.

We'll see...

We'll see you nym-shifting and trolling like there was no tomorrow for you,
you abnormal senile cretin! BG

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2019 17:35, GB wrote:

[...]

I still think this is not a good idea. It's bound to go wrong. FWIW.

NT