Derek Atkin

Default Is it possible to disable infra red sensors on a garage door opener ?

I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken ?
PhotoMan

"Derek Atkin" wrote in message
m...
I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken ?

Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

Joseph Meehan

Derek Atkin wrote:
I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken ?

Imagine yourself in court after a neighbor's kid gets hurt after you
deactivated a safety device.

I might also suggest it is useful for other reasons. Without mine, I am
sure my bumper would have stopped that door a few times.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

George E. Cawthon

Of course it is. Older garage door openers don't even have this
safety feature. All you need to do is look at the circuit diagram and
take the sensor out of the circuit, i.e, you would just bypass the
sensor. But why would you want to?

Derek Atkin wrote:

I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken ?

PhotoMan

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Yeah, like that would let the door close!

Why wouldn't the door still close Mr. Garage Doorman?

PhotoMan wrote:

"Derek Atkin" wrote in message
m...
I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken ?

Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

Tim or Marty Shephard

I don't think you can just 'take it out', it's like a supervised cicuit
expecting some sort of signal blocked or unblocked.
You can tape the emitter to the receiver for testing purposes.

Derek Atkin wrote:

I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken ?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Derek Atkin" wrote in message
m...
I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken ?

If we tell you and there is an accident, we could be sued. No thanks.

Harry K

PhotoMan wrote:

"Derek Atkin" wrote in message
m...
I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken ?

Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

Well gee. The system has to get a positive response to "is the sender
lighting the receiver". Tape one and the answer is 'no' and the door
won't close.

Harry K

PhotoMan

"Harry K" wrote in message
om...

PhotoMan wrote:

"Derek Atkin" wrote in message
m...
I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing

the
door if the beam is broken ?

Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

Well gee. The system has to get a positive response to "is the sender
lighting the receiver". Tape one and the answer is 'no' and the door
won't close.

The infrared sensors have nothing to do with opening the door in normal use.
The sensor for remote door operation is radio controlled.

Tony Kimmell

"PhotoMan" wrote in message ...
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Yeah, like that would let the door close!

Why wouldn't the door still close Mr. Garage Doorman?

Um, probably because covering the sensors with tape is just like
breaking the beam. DUH
Harry K

"PhotoMan" wrote in message ...
"Harry K" wrote in message
om...

PhotoMan wrote:

"Derek Atkin" wrote in message
m...
I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing

the
door if the beam is broken ?

Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

Well gee. The system has to get a positive response to "is the sender
lighting the receiver". Tape one and the answer is 'no' and the door
won't close.

The infrared sensors have nothing to do with opening the door in normal use.
The sensor for remote door operation is radio controlled.

I suggest you do some reading on the subject. You obviously have no
clue as to how these sensors work or even what they are for.

Harry K

Tony Kimmell

"PhotoMan" wrote in message ...
"Harry K" wrote in message
om...

PhotoMan wrote:

"Derek Atkin" wrote in message
m...
I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to
disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing

the
door if the beam is broken ?

Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

Well gee. The system has to get a positive response to "is the sender
lighting the receiver". Tape one and the answer is 'no' and the door
won't close.

The infrared sensors have nothing to do with opening the door in normal use.
The sensor for remote door operation is radio controlled.

What on Earth are you talking about? I don't think you are on the
same page as the rest of us dude...

We're talking about the light beam sender and receiver located at the
bottom of both sides of the door. If somthing walks in the path of
them, they break the beam and the door wont close or stops closing if
it's already in motion.

Did you think he was talking about the opener remote control or what?
George E. Cawthon

PhotoMan says: Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

George says: Yeah, like that would let the door close!

PhotoMan says:
Why wouldn't the door still close Mr. Garage Doorman?

George says:

Well, let's see Mr Photoman. The OP said, "Is it possible to disable
the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the door if
the beam is broken?" Note the, "prevents the opener from closing the
door if the beam is broken." Don't you think that taping the sensor
or the emitter with black tape would break the beam? And what happens
when the beam is broken? The door won't close.
George E. Cawthon

Sure you can, you just have to have the circuit diagram. But the best
suggestion was made by others and that is to move the sensor and the
emitter. You could move them way up in the air, but the best way
would be to simply detach them from the sides of the door, roll up the
wires and put the sensor and the emitter together and tape out of the
way on the motor housing.