Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eternal server gone ?

The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 11:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I'm using news.eternal-september.org without any difficulty.
Are you aware of the eternal-september.support newsgroup? You can see
what's exercising other minds or ask your own questions over there.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:04:15 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 25/01/2019, Scott supposed :
I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

Why pay for something you can get for free, that (normally) works well?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell submitted this idea :
I'm using news.eternal-september.org without any difficulty.
Are you aware of the eternal-september.support newsgroup? You can see what's
exercising other minds or ask your own questions over there.

Thanks, but no mention in there about any issues with reader80..

Not a problem, I have swapped over to news.eternal. I was using
reader80 originally to get around Talktalk blocking the usual ng ports.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:49:28 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 25/01/2019, Scott supposed :
I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

Why pay for something you can get for free, that (normally) works well?

I question your latter premise. There are regular complaints about ES
on this group and elsewhere. There is also the money value of time. I
would rather pay 10 Euros than waste any of my time dealing with
unreliable services.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 11:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I see my ES account is set to use news.eternal-september.org port 119

Seems to be working without difficulty here via NTL/VM as my ISP
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 11:56, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:49:28 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 25/01/2019, Scott supposed :
I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

Why pay for something you can get for free, that (normally) works well?

I question your latter premise. There are regular complaints about ES
on this group and elsewhere. There is also the money value of time. I
would rather pay 10 Euros than waste any of my time dealing with
unreliable services.

And this from the man who wants to repair chipboard? lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 12:01:26 +0000, Bob Minchin
wrote:

On 25/01/2019 11:56, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:49:28 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 25/01/2019, Scott supposed :
I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

Why pay for something you can get for free, that (normally) works well?

I question your latter premise. There are regular complaints about ES
on this group and elsewhere. There is also the money value of time. I
would rather pay 10 Euros than waste any of my time dealing with
unreliable services.

And this from the man who wants to repair chipboard? lol

Good point, Mr. The difference is that the chipboard is part of a
kitchen installation where dismantling and replacement would be
difficult to justify or I suspect to argue in law and the work
involved is remedial.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/01/2019 11:56, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:49:28 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 25/01/2019, Scott supposed :
I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

Why pay for something you can get for free, that (normally) works well?

I question your latter premise. There are regular complaints about ES
on this group and elsewhere. There is also the money value of time. I
would rather pay 10 Euros than waste any of my time dealing with
unreliable services.

And this from the man who wants to repair chipboard? lol

Good point, Mr. The difference is that the chipboard is part of a
kitchen installation where dismantling and replacement would be
difficult to justify or I suspect to argue in law and the work
involved is remedial.

yes I thought as much but the contrast appealed to my (odd) sense of humour!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/01/2019 11:56, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:49:28 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 25/01/2019, Scott supposed :
[...]

No offence taken at all. That's why I credited it as a 'good point'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I had problems a few days ago. I was using, do perhaps to some
difficulties some years back, an IP address. Now set to
news.eternal-september.org and that is fine other than one or two
posts got mangled into the wrong thread.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:56:27 +0000, Scott
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:49:28 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 25/01/2019, Scott supposed :
I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

Why pay for something you can get for free, that (normally) works well?

I question your latter premise. There are regular complaints about ES
on this group and elsewhere. There is also the money value of time. I
would rather pay 10 Euros than waste any of my time dealing with
unreliable services.

Nearly any time I spend on newsgroups is a waste of time - it is a low
priority activity for interest and amusement. If it's not working
today I'll play with something else and look again tomorrow.

If paid-for services never went wrong, whatever they be, there
wouldn't be any need for Ombudsmen, Legislation and Complaints
Departments. Free Bad (except in the case of Google where
Free=Evil)

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

If you are lucky. For me, Usenet is purely a recreational/displacement
activity. On the rare occasions that there are problems with ES, I
simply find something else to do. The real mystery is why anyone would
want to use Google Groups, except as a last resort, when there are
free news providers and news clients out there which don't mangle your
formatting as GG does, and thread messages properly, which GG doesn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure what you mean, if you access the news service at ES in the normal
way its still going fine, if they want to retire old hardware, that is up to
them.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why would any isp block a usenet port? I'd have thought that was rather
counter productive if they want people to use their services.
We are supposed to have an open access internet here in Europe.
Net neutrality and all of that.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Nick Odell submitted this idea :
I'm using news.eternal-september.org without any difficulty.
Are you aware of the eternal-september.support newsgroup? You can see
what's exercising other minds or ask your own questions over there.

Thanks, but no mention in there about any issues with reader80..

Not a problem, I have swapped over to news.eternal. I was using reader80
originally to get around Talktalk blocking the usual ng ports.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff was thinking very hard :
Why would any isp block a usenet port? I'd have thought that was rather
counter productive if they want people to use their services.
We are supposed to have an open access internet here in Europe.
Net neutrality and all of that.

Rumour had it that they had it in mind, that usenet consumed a lot of
their bandwidth. It seemed they throttled the pipe drastically, to the
point it became unusable via the normal ports - complaints were
ignored. Port 80 wasn't restricted so much so I used reader80 quite
successfully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
on 25/01/2019, Scott supposed :
I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

Why pay for something you can get for free, that (normally) works well?

Because the one that only costs 10 Euro per year is vastly more reliable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

If you are lucky. For me, Usenet is purely a recreational/displacement
activity. On the rare occasions that there are problems with ES, I
simply find something else to do. The real mystery is why anyone would
want to use Google Groups, except as a last resort, when there are
free news providers and news clients out there which don't mangle your
formatting as GG does, and thread messages properly, which GG doesn't.

These reasons may fall into your "last resort" category:

1 An ISP, employer or institutional network blocking the
customary ports.

2 Using a public access, borrowed, or old device where you can't
install software more capable than a web browser, or indeed any
software.

3 A quick and dirty read-only check for new postings on a second
screen while composing a new post. (Seeing posts in time order
rather than threaded is almost helpful in this usage.)

That said, I agree that GG is a pain for anything other than the
shortest post, especially in the mobile (as opposed to desktop)
versions.

As a workaround, I request the desktop site, hit Reply in GG,
copy quoted text to an external editor and do everything there,
before pasting the result back into GG to post. It can be painful
and error prone but it works, mostly

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 14:47:00 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Nothing to do with it being free, you are barking up the wrong tree there.
Brian

Obviously not. If they are free, they must be awash with income from
subscriptions to reinvest in the servers and other infrastructure. .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott submitted this idea :
I question your latter premise. There are regular complaints about ES
on this group and elsewhere. There is also the money value of time. I
would rather pay 10 Euros than waste any of my time dealing with
unreliable services.

My own experience of it, as a very regular usenet user, is that it is
very reliable - near as reliable as I would expect from a paid for
service so why pay. It is hardly life and death should it fail.

Besides, in the last hour port 80 was restored..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 16:42:24 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Scott submitted this idea :
I question your latter premise. There are regular complaints about ES
on this group and elsewhere. There is also the money value of time. I
would rather pay 10 Euros than waste any of my time dealing with
unreliable services.

My own experience of it, as a very regular usenet user, is that it is
very reliable - near as reliable as I would expect from a paid for
service so why pay. It is hardly life and death should it fail.

Besides, in the last hour port 80 was restored..

Well, we'll have to differ then. I found it unreliable, changed
provider and have had no trouble since. Being 10 euros less well off
every year is hardly life and death.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 02:19 AM in Australia ...and Senile Rot has been out of Bed and Trolling for over an Hour, again! LOL

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 02:19:07 +1100, Steven, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Why pay for something you can get for free, that (normally) works well?

Because the one that only costs 10 Euro per year is vastly more reliable.

ONLY in your senile head, senile Rot!

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Why would any isp block a usenet port? I'd have thought that was rather
counter productive if they want people to use their services.
We are supposed to have an open access internet here in Europe.
Net neutrality and all of that.
Brian

I,m not convinced there are any net neutrality laws in Europe,
Certainly ISPs have often blocked either ports or services detected by
packet inspection, either completely or partially. Usenet and peer to
peer networks being the main victims. Streaming video used to be
unpopular with ISPs until it became a commodity.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 20:21, Roger Hayter wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Why would any isp block a usenet port? I'd have thought that was rather
counter productive if they want people to use their services.
We are supposed to have an open access internet here in Europe.
Net neutrality and all of that.
Brian

I,m not convinced there are any net neutrality laws in Europe,
Certainly ISPs have often blocked either ports or services detected by
packet inspection, either completely or partially. Usenet and peer to
peer networks being the main victims. Streaming video used to be
unpopular with ISPs until it became a commodity.

I think net neutrality would mean Virgin Internet or Sky Internet
throttling Netflix streaming video, and not their own. This sort of
practice has recently been legalised in the US but I am not aware of
anyone who has actually started to do so.

If they throttle all media of a given type that is not a net neutrality
issue (just a lack of bandwidth issue)

I think the broadband scene in the US is quite different to UK, in that
it is quite common for a whole block of apartments to only have a single
broadband supplier - hence their sensitivity on net neutrality. In the
UK we could simply change provider, in the US that's often not as easy.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

I have both ES and EIOE. Both free. If one is down, the other is probably
OK. Just paying for something doesn't mean it will be trouble free.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 11:52:15 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

wrote:

The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

I have both ES and EIOE. Both free. If one is down, the other is
probably OK. Just paying for something doesn't mean it will be trouble
free.

True. But NIN has been trouble free for many years. And it has good spam
filtering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The reader80.eternal-september.org seems to have been completely
inaccessible now, since around the 18th. Have they switched it off
permanently?

I cannot understand why anyone is still using this provider. Too mean
to pay 10 Euro per year? That's probably less than a cup of coffee
every three months. As my granny used to say, you get what you pay
for!

I have both ES and EIOE. Both free. If one is down, the other is
probably OK. Just paying for something doesn't mean it will be trouble
free.

True. But NIN has been trouble free for many years. And it has good spam
filtering.

Don't actually get much in the way of spam from either of my free ones.

--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I have both ES and EIOE. Both free. If one is down, the other is
probably OK. Just paying for something doesn't mean it will be trouble
free.

Yes, AOIE went down today.

Yet another reason I stick with Turnpike is that it makes it obvious
that a server is down, and then simple to check which, if any,
newsgroups are on that server.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes

Yet another reason I stick with Turnpike is that it makes it obvious
that a server is down, and then simple to check which, if any,
newsgroups are on that server.

LIKE

--
Graeme