Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default News Server Problem - or - Has This Group Gone Quiet?

Activity here seems to have dropped off quite a bit. Is my news server
not getting most messages - or is everyone out enjoying the nice
weather?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , charlieb
wrote:

Activity here seems to have dropped off quite a bit. Is my news server
not getting most messages - or is everyone out enjoying the nice
weather?

Some of the state (cough, New York, cough) AG's in the US of A decided
about a year ago that binary newsgroups were Evil Incarnate and
pressured the major US ISPs to drop them For the Children's Sake
Because There Are Millions of Predators Online AND I NEED TO BE
REELECTED GODDAMIT.

Will NOBODY think of the CHILDREN?

So you're left with those of us who live in countries whose politicos
have found that ****ing bandwagon yet, or people who are clueful
enought to tell the spineless ISPs to go **** themselves, and moved to
new providers.

But this is not a binary newsgroup.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

La Quinta is Spanish for Next to Dennys

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm still here!

Bob Crawford

"charlieb" wrote in message
Activity here seems to have dropped off quite a bit. Is my news server
not getting most messages - or is everyone out enjoying the nice
weather?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:010520090022387784%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , charlieb
wrote:

Activity here seems to have dropped off quite a bit. Is my news server
not getting most messages - or is everyone out enjoying the nice
weather?

Some of the state (cough, New York, cough) AG's in the US of A decided
about a year ago that binary newsgroups were Evil Incarnate and
pressured the major US ISPs to drop them For the Children's Sake
Because There Are Millions of Predators Online AND I NEED TO BE
REELECTED GODDAMIT.

Will NOBODY think of the CHILDREN?

So you're left with those of us who live in countries whose politicos
have found that ****ing bandwagon yet, or people who are clueful
enought to tell the spineless ISPs to go **** themselves, and moved to
new providers.

Yeah I have found most of what you are talking about true considering groups
with pictures. I use ATT and have never had a problem accessing this
particular group but cannot get a.b.p.w. unless I go through Giganews. That
said, I now in the last 4 weeks started to access this group through
Giganews and there is not near the traffic I saw 8 years ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Consolidated dropped all after merging with another phone company
and dropping those people as well. They were getting pressure from the
recording industry for music binary - and canceled everything. I still don't
get a discount every month for this breach of my liberties.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'd heard that Comcast, or it could have been ATT,
was going to drop usenet service

(I mean, how else could they make a REAL profit from
their 'ONLY $29.999 a month" service fee. Comcast
didn't have ANY Customer Support costs to begin
with, so what's left that they could cut?)

Pity. Learned a lot here and over in rec.woodworking,
and not just about woodworking.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

there are a range of free servers, that you can easily subscribe to - they
include teranews and motzarella.org among others. And there are some pay by
the month (or year) servers as well that may offer superiour service and
more binaries. Personally, the two I listed meet my needs

wrote:

Activity here seems to have dropped off quite a bit. Is my news server
not getting most messages - or is everyone out enjoying the nice
weather?

Some of the state (cough, New York, cough) AG's in the US of A decided
about a year ago that binary newsgroups were Evil Incarnate and
pressured the major US ISPs to drop them For the Children's Sake
Because There Are Millions of Predators Online AND I NEED TO BE
REELECTED GODDAMIT.

Will NOBODY think of the CHILDREN?

So you're left with those of us who live in countries whose politicos
have found that ****ing bandwagon yet, or people who are clueful
enought to tell the spineless ISPs to go **** themselves, and moved to
new providers.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Well, in the 6 or so years I have been surfing this site, the activity
always drops in the 'nice' weather. Also, the spammers kind of dampen
the feel of the site. I guess they can't read that this is for
WOODTURNING.
robo hippy