Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Light switch is stiff.

I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

Im not sure spraying a powdered conductor into a mains voltage switch is a
smart idea...

Switches arent expensive. Id just replace it.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 22:00:22 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

I replaced one a month back. It finally got so stiff, I had to use an
object that could channel the force from both hands to press it.

Wd40 is a good lubricant and an insulator. It is flammable though so
dont bath the switch in it. If you can remove the switch body there is
a slider that forces the contacts together, this will need cleaning/
lubrication.

Having said that , you would find it difficult to start a fire with
it. In my dim and distant past one of the jolly japes after meggering
apprentices was disharging a can of WD40 on a rotating commutator. We
never burnt a single workshop down.

Personally I found it easier to replace as I keep a few spares around
the house. They are cheap, I seem to recollect buying boxes of the
things from Wickes for little more than the cost of two individual
items.

I stripped the old switch to see what the problem was, it was a decent
MK and I could see nothing wrong!

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 January 2019 22:00:26 UTC, ss wrote:

I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

IME with wall switches the sliding plastic surfaces degrade, becoming rough.. You might find a little oil in the central pivot keeps it going a while, but not forever. Obviously do not put graphite in there or anywhere else. Switch contact cleaner is no use in these cases. But the simplest option is to replace the switch. Stiff switches are a small hazad, they can sit half way sparking.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

I'd try a bit of silicone spray, but it is probably bent or worn little
pieces of metal or the plastic they bear on (rather than increased
friction due to dirt etc) so if it wasn't cured I'd replace it.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or
a case of just replace them.

Im not sure spraying a powdered conductor into a mains voltage switch
is a smart idea...

Switch cleaner?

Domestic light switches often have spring loaded plastic plungers for
the over-centre mechanism. The tips slide on either the metal contact
strip or a plastic piece pivot attached to the metal. Where they slide
is lubricated with a grease at the factory and switch cleaner is likely
to wash that out.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 January 2019 22:00:26 UTC, ss wrote:
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

WD40
Definitely not graphite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Personally I'd replace them. It of course depends on whether you have one of
those persons in the house who polishes everything with spray polish. that
stuff gets in and gums up the works big time. No don't use Graphite, use
wd40 first, and if the problem persists and they are the plastic kind its
probably worn.
I used to find the very old round sighed MK ones succumbed to this a lot.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ss" wrote in message
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is it
worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a case
of just replace them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Switch cleaner is not as good as wd 40, its not a conductor thing its a
mechanical thing. If you can get a tiny bit of the old sewing machine oil
inside and assuming its not gummed up with polish then try that.
Brian

--
----- --

ss wrote:
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or
a case of just replace them.

I'm not sure spraying a powdered conductor into a mains voltage switch
is a smart idea...

Switch cleaner?

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Brian Gaff wrote :
Switch cleaner is not as good as wd 40, its not a conductor thing its a
mechanical thing. If you can get a tiny bit of the old sewing machine oil
inside and assuming its not gummed up with polish then try that.
Brian

WD40 is extremely flammable, even the waxy remnants of WD40 can be
triggered to catch fire by the arc of a poor connection. Switches are
not expensive, just fit new ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 January 2019 22:30:34 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
ss wrote:
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

Im not sure spraying a powdered conductor into a mains voltage switch is a
smart idea...

Switches arent expensive. Id just replace it.

Where wodneys idea of having them controlled by PIR or voice activated, you wouldn't need a olde mechanical switch then.

Next stage is thought activated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2019 23:53, Roger Hayter wrote:
ss wrote:

I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

I'd try a bit of silicone spray, but it is probably bent or worn little
pieces of metal or the plastic they bear on (rather than increased
friction due to dirt etc) so if it wasn't cured I'd replace it.

+1

I do sometimes find pull switches in the bathroom getting sticky from
debris from the lath and plaster ceiling. A spray plus exercise very
often clears them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

Has this just happened, or was it always the case?

Certain types of switches - like say an intermediate - are stiffer than
simple ones.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type),
is it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite
lubricant or a case of just replace them.

I‘m not sure spraying a powdered conductor into a mains voltage switch
is a smart idea...

Switches aren‘t expensive. I‘d just replace it.

Where wodneys idea of having them controlled by PIR or voice activated,
you wouldn't need a olde mechanical switch then.

Next stage is thought activated.

Not going to work with Wodney, then?

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Has this just happened, or was it always the case?

Been that way for a while just never got round to sorting it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 22/01/2019 17:51, ss wrote:
Has this just happened, or was it always the case?

Been that way for a while just never got round to sorting it.

Update: Thought I would take a chance and without unscrewing from the
wall just sprayed some WD40 into the rocker switch as best I could (with
the circuit off) left for an hour and it is now `smoothly gliding` on
and off.
Will see how long it lasts.

Converting SINGLE light switch to MULTIPLE light switch usingWIRELESS control? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 6 December 1st 11 03:11 PM
Too stiff [email protected] UK diy 7 June 19th 07 10:22 AM
Stiff Shower Head Newbie Home Repair 4 February 19th 06 04:04 AM
stiff three jaw Randy Zimmerman Metalworking 5 July 22nd 05 03:06 PM
Stiff Kitchen tap Bren Home Repair 4 December 10th 04 06:52 PM