Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] is offline

Default Light switch is stiff.

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 22:00:22 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is
it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a
case of just replace them.

I replaced one a month back. It finally got so stiff, I had to use an
object that could channel the force from both hands to press it.

Wd40 is a good lubricant and an insulator. It is flammable though so
dont bath the switch in it. If you can remove the switch body there is
a slider that forces the contacts together, this will need cleaning/
lubrication.

Having said that , you would find it difficult to start a fire with
it. In my dim and distant past one of the jolly japes after meggering
apprentices was disharging a can of WD40 on a rotating commutator. We
never burnt a single workshop down.

Personally I found it easier to replace as I keep a few spares around
the house. They are cheap, I seem to recollect buying boxes of the
things from Wickes for little more than the cost of two individual
items.

I stripped the old switch to see what the problem was, it was a decent
MK and I could see nothing wrong!

AB