Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default John Lewis Spectrum Radio - How to get apart?

I have one of these:

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis...radio/p1809416

It has a rechargable battery that I think has failed. It is supposedly
waterproof so there is no obvious way to take it apart although there
are a couple of recesses on the bottom edge that look like the might
take a small screwdriver to release a clip.

Does anyone have any experience of this model and found a way of getting
to the battery?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
I have one of these:

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis...radio/p1809416

It has a rechargable battery that I think has failed. It is supposedly
waterproof so there is no obvious way to take it apart although there
are a couple of recesses on the bottom edge that look like the might
take a small screwdriver to release a clip.

Does anyone have any experience of this model and found a way of getting
to the battery?

Most things like that can by pried open with a thin spudger but before
trying too hard Id see if the knobs pull off in case the are any concealed
screws beneath them.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim+, scassia wrote:
1. Unfasten the clip over the handle on the right hand side by pushing it
down (as indicated). This will reveal a screw which you have to remove.
2. You now have to do the same on the left hand side, but this clip is much
more difficult to get off. I used a 1" chisel on the base to lever the clip
off, but in the process I broke part of it, so beware. Once you have removed
this clip you can see another screw that needs to be removed (this one goes
through a tag that attaches to the antenna wire inside carrying strap).
3. The back will now come easily off the unit, and it is then obvious how to
proceed to dismantle it further.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1330472-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 17:14:04 UTC+1, scassia wrote:
replying to Tim+, scassia wrote:
1. Unfasten the clip over the handle on the right hand side by pushing it
down (as indicated). This will reveal a screw which you have to remove.
2. You now have to do the same on the left hand side, but this clip is much
more difficult to get off. I used a 1" chisel on the base to lever the clip
off, but in the process I broke part of it, so beware. Once you have removed
this clip you can see another screw that needs to be removed (this one goes
through a tag that attaches to the antenna wire inside carrying strap).
3. The back will now come easily off the unit, and it is then obvious how to
proceed to dismantle it further.

Nice one. Come here via google groups instead, most people have the website you're using blocked.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

So how old was the original post this time

Only December.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:14:02 GMT, scassia
m wrote:

replying to Tim+, scassia wrote:
1. Unfasten the clip over the handle on the right hand side by pushing it
down (as indicated). This will reveal a screw which you have to remove.
2. You now have to do the same on the left hand side, but this clip is much
more difficult to get off. I used a 1" chisel on the base to lever the clip
off, but in the process I broke part of it, so beware. Once you have removed
this clip you can see another screw that needs to be removed (this one goes
through a tag that attaches to the antenna wire inside carrying strap).
3. The back will now come easily off the unit, and it is then obvious how to
proceed to dismantle it further.

This might be a silly question but how old is the radio? What about
taking it back and saying the product does not have the durability you
expected. If the battery is not replaceable, you could argue it
becomes an integral part of the product. Reasonable compromise would
be for JL to get the manufacturer to replace the battery.

Also, I think JL usually offers a two year guarantee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for your post. Managed to get it apart but cannot recognise what battery to replace.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1330472-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

People tend to ignore messages from home owners club as they could be old or
often do not contain enough info due to usenet being text only and nobody
wants to go to the terrible web site.
Get a real usenet client and use that on usenet itself.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"wizzkid" wrote in message
roupdirect.com...
Thanks for your post. Managed to get it apart but cannot recognise what
battery to replace.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1330472-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Excellent. Thank you.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1330472-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 23:01, wizzkid wrote:
Thanks for your post. Managed to get it apart but cannot recognise what
battery to replace.

Before replying to a 2 year old post please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just remplaced the battery of this John Lewis spectrum radio. Following advise on removing the side screws holding the antenna, I needed to lift the edges a bit to move the inner unit out.
The battery was under a black plate and had some black foam over it. mine had swollen, looked like a little bag.
I purchased one of 2000mah lithium polymer battery (the original is 2100,) at cool components. I was surprised how thin it was compared to my swollen one. IMPORTANT: I had to swap to polarity of the battery! Its a bit fiddly but you can pry out the metal pins from the connector and swap them. Alternatively cut the cable and reconnect crosswise. All works perfect,

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1330472-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 4:31:02 PM UTC, George H wrote:
I just remplaced the battery of this John Lewis spectrum radio. Following advise on removing the side screws holding the antenna, I needed to lift the edges a bit to move the inner unit out.
The battery was under a black plate and had some black foam over it. mine had swollen, looked like a little bag.
I purchased one of 2000mah lithium polymer battery (the original is 2100,) at cool components. I was surprised how thin it was compared to my swollen one. IMPORTANT: I had to swap to polarity of the battery! Its a bit fiddly but you can pry out the metal pins from the connector and swap them. Alternatively cut the cable and reconnect crosswise. All works perfect,
--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1330472-.htm

We've had two of those. On the first one the front panel cracked in the centre of the speaker grille where you press to switch it on and off - a stupid design! Got a replacement under warranty and it fell off a slightly sloping surface because it doesn't have any rubber feet to stop it doing so. It still worked, after a fashion, but now it won't hold a charge. Never could work out how to pry it apart without butchering it, so this information might be useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2021 16:30, George H wrote:
I just remplaced the battery of this John Lewis spectrum radio.
Following advise on removing the side screws holding the antenna, I
needed to lift the edges a bit to move the inner unit out. The battery
was under a black plate and had some black foam over it. mine had
swollen, looked like a little bag.
I purchased one of 2000mah lithium polymer battery (the original is
2100,) at cool components. I was surprised how thin it was compared to
my swollen one. IMPORTANT: I had to swap to polarity of the battery!
Its a bit fiddly but you can pry out the metal pins from the connector
and swap them. Alternatively cut the cable and reconnect crosswise. All
works perfect,

Before replying please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub