Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit

Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit:

There are tree roots in the main drain from the house,
the drain engineer suggested inserting a new access point
to clear the roots, and maybe insert a plastic liner.

I guess the hole needs to be about 6 feet deep,
and have a possible loan of a digger and driver.

But how big to make the hole,
and how to line it?
Blocks or concrete how thick?
or newfangled plastic ?

george
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How deep is your existing access point as I should imagine the new one will not be much deeper. I have two in my garden one near the soil stack and a second a few metres away where the underground pipe takes a 90deg bend before going off to join my neighbours underground pipe. Neither of the two man holes are more than 3' deep.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But the new access point is to go near the wall, beyond this is a field and a ditch which used to be a HaHa before a hundred years of leaves filled it, but the pipe to the septic tanks must be lower than this hence 6 feet deep ish.
Maybe 8.

Wont know until the digger smashes the semi blocked sewage pipe.

Will try to film it for the education and amusement of others!

George

On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 3:35:00 PM UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
How deep is your existing access point as I should imagine the new one will not be much deeper. I have two in my garden one near the soil stack and a second a few metres away where the underground pipe takes a 90deg bend before going off to join my neighbours underground pipe. Neither of the two man holes are more than 3' deep.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 November 2018 15:09:21 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit:

There are tree roots in the main drain from the house,
the drain engineer suggested inserting a new access point
to clear the roots, and maybe insert a plastic liner.

I guess the hole needs to be about 6 feet deep,
and have a possible loan of a digger and driver.

But how big to make the hole,
and how to line it?
Blocks or concrete how thick?
or newfangled plastic ?

george

The easy way is to buy a sectional plastic one.
They often need to be surrounded with concrete.

Eg;-

https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/produ...-chamber-sets/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 November 2018 15:09:21 UTC, George Miles wrote:

Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit:

There are tree roots in the main drain from the house,
the drain engineer suggested inserting a new access point
to clear the roots, and maybe insert a plastic liner.

I guess the hole needs to be about 6 feet deep,
and have a possible loan of a digger and driver.

it will be the depth of the pipe. Around 2' is more common.

But how big to make the hole,

the size of a manhole cover set. Note that not all are suitable for cars or trucks.

and how to line it?

either nothing or with cement/sand render

Blocks or concrete how thick?

single leaf of stretcher bond brickwork, so 4"

or newfangled plastic ?

george

You can dig under the pipe, pour concrete in & smooth the bottom to give it a slope each side of the pipe. Once cured, break the pipe. Yes, there are other ways.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2018 15:09, George Miles wrote:
Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit:

There are tree roots in the main drain from the house,
the drain engineer suggested inserting a new access point
to clear the roots, and maybe insert a plastic liner.

I guess the hole needs to be about 6 feet deep,
and have a possible loan of a digger and driver.

But how big to make the hole,
and how to line it?
Blocks or concrete how thick?
or newfangled plastic ?

Oh just get bog (sic!) standard plastic sections

6 foot doesnt need a digger for a man hole. Just a day with a delving iron.

Make it about 1 ft bigger than the manhole so there's a 6 " gap all
round and bed in on pea shingle

Is it old clay pipe?

Frankly unless you realy want to play drains a good groundworker or two
will do this in a day or max 2 days for |£3-500 I'd guess.

george

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell