David W.E. Roberts

Default Thoughts from the shower #2

Hi again,

the recommended way to apply silicone sealant around the bath is to fill the
bath with water first so it sinks a little - that way you don't stress the
sealant when the bath is filled.

However maximum stress is when the bath is filled to the overflow with one
(or if you are lucky) two people in it.
[Lit candles for effect are considered of negligible additional weight.]

Therefore logically you should apply silicone sealant with the bath filled
and at least one, preferably two (British Standard) people in it.

Conclusions:

(1) I am not sure the guy who fitted the new bath in our bathroom a few
years back knew the correct way to do things.
(2) If this is encompassed by future building regs. I am retraining as a
plumber (but not engaging an assistant).
(3) Whatever, I fit my own baths from now on!

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. perhaps I should cut down on shower time?

JonBoy

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in
:

Hi again,

the recommended way to apply silicone sealant around the bath is
to fill the bath with water first so it sinks a little - that
way you don't stress the sealant when the bath is filled.

However maximum stress is when the bath is filled to the
overflow with one (or if you are lucky) two people in it.
[Lit candles for effect are considered of negligible additional
weight.]

Therefore logically you should apply silicone sealant with the
bath filled and at least one, preferably two (British Standard)
people in it.

"So, M'lud, there is a totally innocent explanation: my client was
caulking her seals at the time..."

But would it stand up in court?
David W.E. Roberts

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

This seems like it's been quite a long shower.

How are you posting this stuff? Doesn't your Internet connection go all
soggy?

Deep breaths and calm......

.....sorry to disappoint but I am not posting this all naked and wet ;-}

David W.E. Roberts

"Ian K" wrote in message
"JonBoy" wrote in message
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in
:

Therefore logically you should apply silicone sealant with the
bath filled and at least one, preferably two (British Standard)
people in it.

"So, M'lud, there is a totally innocent explanation: my client was
caulking her seals at the time..."

Try that line and you'd get the RSPCA after you too...

It had occured to me to substitute trained seals for the two BSP but you'd
never get them out of the bath afterwards.

This also raised the unworthy thought that possibly two ASP (American
Standard Person) was roughly equivalent to one small hippo.

Ben Blaney

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

However maximum stress is when the bath is filled to the overflow with one
(or if you are lucky) two people in it.

True, true.

[Lit candles for effect are considered of negligible additional weight.]

You romantic!

Therefore logically you should apply silicone sealant with the bath filled
and at least one, preferably two (British Standard) people in it.

They don't have to be British Standard. Assuming it's your bath, they
just have to be you and your chosen fellow bather. And they come in
lots of non-standard sizes, and in various international flavours.

Conclusions:

(1) I am not sure the guy who fitted the new bath in our bathroom a few
years back knew the correct way to do things.

Or he thought it would be a bit odd for him to ask your wife to get in
the bath with him, as a rough guide!

"It was for professional purposes only!

--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200

BigWallop

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Ian K" wrote in message
"JonBoy" wrote in message
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in
:

Therefore logically you should apply silicone sealant with the
bath filled and at least one, preferably two (British Standard)
people in it.

"So, M'lud, there is a totally innocent explanation: my client was
caulking her seals at the time..."

Try that line and you'd get the RSPCA after you too...

It had occured to me to substitute trained seals for the two BSP but you'd
never get them out of the bath afterwards.

This also raised the unworthy thought that possibly two ASP (American
Standard Person) was roughly equivalent to one small hippo.

So would that make one small hippo equivalent to half a BSP ?

N. Thornton

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
Hi again,

the recommended way to apply silicone sealant around the bath is to fill the
bath with water first so it sinks a little - that way you don't stress the
sealant when the bath is filled.

However maximum stress is when the bath is filled to the overflow with one
(or if you are lucky) two people in it.

It is, but minimum stress occurs to the seals when they are moved the
minimum through out the min to max bath stressing. Thus the seals
should be applied at _half_ the maximum bath stress.

So the average British bath requires 3 seals to be applied while the
bath is full of water and containing 2 people, but those people must
also be hanging from the light fitting so as to halve the amount of
stress they put on the bath.

We must also have the plumber in the room of course to apply the
seals.

Due to the obvious risk of electrocution the electricity must be
turned off and the light bulb socket pins earth bonded in the usual
way.

So correct procedure would involve the following in the room, all at
once:
bath filled with water
2 people in bath hanging off light fitting
3 seals
1 plumber
and all in total darkness.

All this is to apply what? Sillycone sealant of course.

Regards, NT
BigWallop

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
[...]

ROFLMAO !!!!! The appliance of science ?

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

David W.E. Roberts

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
[...]

All very easy for you to say, but what am I going to do with the baby Hippo
I ordered from Screwfix?

N. Thornton

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...

So correct procedure would involve the following in the room, all at
once:
bath filled with water
2 people in bath hanging off light fitting
3 seals
1 plumber
and all in total darkness.

All this is to apply what? Sillycone sealant of course.

Regards, NT

All very easy for you to say, but what am I going to do with the baby Hippo
I ordered from Screwfix?

Well, maybe it'll come in handy in woodwork, when you need to mark out
a hippo-teneuse?

Regards, NT

Roller blind in the shower? S Viemeister UK diy 2 July 21st 03 07:31 PM
Trevi Boost venturi shower problem Matthew Barnard UK diy 0 July 19th 03 03:18 PM
Electric shower Matt G UK diy 2 July 16th 03 10:38 PM
Water softner for shower Sue Mortimore UK diy 20 July 16th 03 04:30 PM
Leaky AquaLisa shower AlexL UK diy 3 July 9th 03 09:27 AM