Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Database interfaces

If I've asked this before, I'm sorry, but once again I'm hoping to move
databases to a new to me machine, and feel I ought to try to sort things
out once and for all. Just as I did last time and the time before.

At the moment, I'm running 3 MySQL flat databases for various lists,
plus a contacts list in Palm Desktop, a list of private recordings in a
spreadsheet, and have been trying MediaMonkey for video and audio.

What I think I want is to move everything to MySQL to make it moderately
future proof and then find some way of using some already created
generalised front end that can be tailored to the individual lists.
Obviously import, search and order by columns would be needed.

Does anyone know of a source for something like this? Free or very
cheap.

I use a program called HeidiSQL for the MySQL databases at the moment
and it is nearly there, but a bit clunky. I've had a few goes with the
LibreOffice database functions, but never really got anywhere and I'm
even older and further removed from my programming days now..
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/18 17:12, Bill wrote:
If I've asked this before, I'm sorry, but once again I'm hoping to move
databases to a new to me machine, and feel I ought to try to sort things
out once and for all. Just as I did last time and the time before.

At the moment, I'm running 3 MySQL flat databases for various lists,
plus a contacts list in Palm Desktop, a list of private recordings in a
spreadsheet, and have been trying MediaMonkey for video and audio.

What I think I want is to move everything to MySQL to make it moderately
future proof and then find some way of using some already created
generalised front end that can be tailored to the individual lists.
Obviously import, search and order by columns would be needed.

Does anyone know of a source for something like this? Free or very cheap.

write yer own in PHP - its pretty simple

PHPmyadmin is a good place to start as well.

I use a program called HeidiSQL for the MySQL databasesÂ* at the moment
and it is nearly there, but a bit clunky. I've had a few goes with the
LibreOffice database functions, but never really got anywhere and I'm
even older and further removed from my programming days now..

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
write yer own in PHP - its pretty simple

PHPmyadmin is a good place to start as well.

I might have a go, as I started on similar lines once before.

On the old machine, I have Xampp, but can't remember how far I got, ran
out of time, and life here is just as hectic now,

That's why I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for a ready made
"shell" program that doesn't need to run a web server.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2018 23:21, Bill wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
write yer own in PHPÂ* - its pretty simple

PHPmyadmin is a good place to start as well.

I might have a go, as I started on similar lines once before.

On the old machine, I have Xampp, but can't remember how far I got, ran
out of time, and life here is just as hectic now,

That's why I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for a ready made
"shell" program that doesn't need to run a web server.

You could install one of the many database connectors to interface
directly with the database, e.g:

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/

You can then talk directly to that in any number of languages and
environments. No need for a web server then.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , John
Rumm wrote:

On 17/09/2018 23:21, Bill wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
write yer own in PHP* - its pretty simple

PHPmyadmin is a good place to start as well.
I might have a go, as I started on similar lines once before.
On the old machine, I have Xampp, but can't remember how far I got,
ran out of time, and life here is just as hectic now,
That's why I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for a ready
made "shell" program that doesn't need to run a web server.

You could install one of the many database connectors to interface
directly with the database, e.g:

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/

You can then talk directly to that in any number of languages and
environments. No need for a web server then.

Is there some reason this has to be done with mySQL? Are there hundreds
of users or only the OP?

Here's where I am today.

Spent all free time messing with Xampp, PHPmyadmin and transferring the
3 Mysql databases into the newer machine. I think I may be nearly there
with being able to look at, if not actually use fully, these databases
through a browser.

I am still not sure that this is the right approach for me. I was lucky
with time availability today because I had a 4 hour window while our
'house guest' was at hospital. Usually breathers come in 15 minute
lumps, if that.

I have played with odbc connectors in the past when using C++ Builder to
write small programs, and maybe that was what I used when trying to
interface with Libre/Open Office? I can't remember now.

The reason I like MySQL is because it seems stable and unlikely to
become totally obsolete. Yes, users are just me and occasionally a son
or two, but I can usually knock up a list of something or other in it
pretty quickly. I have to get these other older lists of data off old
and unsupported things (like the Palm database) and into a common,
standard to me, format. And, if I wanted to get into relational
databases, it's there.

I had problems when trying to use DBase4 a long time ago, and Access
over the years, and have had all sorts of software in the past. Even
back to a circular database I wrote in machine code for a handbuilt Z80
device.

I am surprised that I can't find anything that does what I want. With my
memory, lots of lists are essential. As I mentioned earlier, HeidiSQL
isn't far off.

I haven't given up yet. Thanks for the suggestions, they all help.

--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Bill
wrote:

In message , Tim Streater

writes
Is there some reason this has to be done with mySQL? Are there hundreds
of users or only the OP?

The reason I like MySQL is because it seems stable and unlikely to
become totally obsolete. Yes, users are just me and occasionally a son
or two, ...

In which case why are you futzing with mySQL, which requires you to set
up a server. Just use SQLite instead, which is built into PHP and
requires no server at all.

I'll have a look at SQLite, but the database engine is not really the
sticking point, I don't think.

My hope was to find a simple general purpose UI that could be populated
with specific columns for specific uses and give a standard way of
looking at, updating, amending, printing etc. So, for example, the
Contacts list would work in exactly the same way as the lists of audio
and video files, with the latter being able to be played by a simple
click on the list.

Really, I suppose it's just a sort of spreadsheet-like interface that
would keep me with a system that could be expanded in future if more
complex database features were needed.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 10:32, Bill wrote:
In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Bill
wrote:

[...]

If you have used C++ Builder, then you will be familiar with the
standard DB aware grid and list controls that are available in the VCL.
They sound like a pretty good match for the requirements, and are also
very quick and easy to use. Just slap a DB interface component on your
form and point that at the db/server. Then link your controls to the
interface component.

(also check out Lazerus - a open source implementation of Borland Delphi
- somewhat updated, but a close match for the old VCL)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
If you have used C++ Builder, then you will be familiar with the
standard DB aware grid and list controls that are available in the VCL.
They sound like a pretty good match for the requirements, and are also
very quick and easy to use. Just slap a DB interface component on your
form and point that at the db/server. Then link your controls to the
interface component.

(also check out Lazerus - a open source implementation of Borland
Delphi - somewhat updated, but a close match for the old VCL)

Thanks, John.

My problem with C++Builder, which I used a lot up to about 12 years ago,
is that after it stopped being Borland, the machine it was on died.

Although I had backups, for some reason it became un-registerable on
other machines, and the only way it would run was in an image of the
dead machine in a VM.

We closed that business at about that time, and I basically gave up
programming. I had been just writing small helper files and some audio
diagnostics and on-the-fly realtime audio conversion and transmission
systems. So I don't think I ever looked at database programming.

In the fullness of time, I'll try to resurrect Builder on one of the
current VM's here, and I'll have a look at Lazerus.

Thanks again, sorry I'm coming across as sounding a bit negative.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/18 17:24, Bill wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Bill. what operating system is this all on?

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 19/09/18 17:24, Bill wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Current stuff is all on Windows 7. I have a W10 machine, but don't use
it in anger (or should that be I do use it in anger?).

The C++ stuff all ended on XP, but I did a lot on W2k and earlier OS's
such as W95/8.

All Windows, I'm afraid, but I do run backup servers on Linux.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 17:24, Bill wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Tis ok, it did not sound negative... Laz is a resonable fit, and would
be mostly familiar in style and use to builder - save for the language
obviously being based on object pascal rather than C++. (but hey, if you
can do ugly in C++, then elegant ought not be as much of a culture shock
as the other way around!) fx:duck_and_take_cover

Pretty sure there are free versions of Visual studio about as well now
that will do C++ (and quite number of other languages).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/18 18:08, Bill wrote:
Bill. what operating system is this all on?

Current stuff is all on Windows 7. I have a W10 machine, but don't use
it in anger (or should that be I do use it in anger?).

The C++ stuff all ended on XP, but I did a lot on W2k and earlier OS's
such as W95/8.

All Windows, I'm afraid, but I do run backup servers on Linux.

Mmm. Id honestly say that the simplest thing would be to move all of
your data onto those servers, and stick a copy of apache on one of them

Then phpmyadmin is the logical way to do basic editing, and if you must
have fancy forms create those in PHP.

YOu aren't limited to a single desktop then, either.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.