Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Database interfaces

On 19/09/2018 17:24, Bill wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
If you have used C++ Builder, then you will be familiar with the
standard DB aware grid and list controls that are available in the
VCL. They sound like a pretty good match for the requirements, and are
also very quick and easy to use. Just slap a DB interface component on
your form and point that at the db/server. Then link your controls to
the interface component.

(also check out Lazerus - a open source implementation of Borland
Delphi - somewhat updated, but a close match for the old VCL)

Thanks, John.

My problem with C++Builder, which I used a lot up to about 12 years ago,
is that after it stopped being Borland, the machine it was on died.

Although I had backups, for some reason it became un-registerable on
other machines, and the only way it would run was in an image of the
dead machine in a VM.

We closed that business at about that time, and I basically gave up
programming. I had been just writing small helper files and some audio
diagnostics and on-the-fly realtime audio conversion and transmission
systems. So I don't think I ever looked at database programming.

In the fullness of time, I'll try to resurrect Builder on one of the
current VM's here, and I'll have a look at Lazerus.

Thanks again, sorry I'm coming across as sounding a bit negative.

Tis ok, it did not sound negative... Laz is a resonable fit, and would
be mostly familiar in style and use to builder - save for the language
obviously being based on object pascal rather than C++. (but hey, if you
can do ugly in C++, then elegant ought not be as much of a culture shock
as the other way around!) fx:duck_and_take_cover

Pretty sure there are free versions of Visual studio about as well now
that will do C++ (and quite number of other languages).

--
Cheers,

John.