Anita Palley

Default Subsidence database?

We're looking at a three bedroom Victorian house to buy in London. It's
in a street near were we live now, and I know that some of the houses
on that street have had some (fairly minor) subsidence, involving the
bay windows cracking away from the main structure.

When we looked at the house I mentioned this to the vendors and they
said that they've had no trouble, although they've only been there for
three years. The agents say that it's all clear as well. Before we
cough up for a full-structural survey and solicitors, I'm wondering
whether I can find out any more myself. If I ask for quotes from
insurance companies will they be able to chack some database and say
whether there's ever been a claim against that address (even if they
don't insure it)? I know this seems a bit sneaky, but I'd rather allay
my own fears than find out after I've paid a surveyor, and I don't
think there's anything illegal about getting a quote for someone else's
house.

BigWallop

"Anita Palley" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Take a look at the building itself. Any subsidence will show as wide cracks
in and around the bay window area. If it's bad, then it will show itself
quite prominently in large open spaces between the stonework. If it isn't
that bad, then the spacing in the joints of the stonework should be quite
equal all around the window areas.

You may see joints in the stonework that are wider than the others around
the building, but they have been filled back with mortar to hide them.
Check them closely to make sure they haven't opened again. Even just
slightly. Which should show itself as the mortar pulling apart from the
rest of the surrounding stone.

Subsidence in most, if not all, builds is very common. So you do see cracks
and things appearing in walls and ceilings. The amount of movement is the
major factor in settling of the house. If it's built on soft ground, then
movement will be huge, but if the house has a good solid foundation, then
settlement will be slight. But you do get movement on buildings.

Don't go mad if you see tiny little openings in the stonework. If they look
as though the haven't been filled to hide them, and they aren't huge big
openings in between the stones, then the build is probably OK. If you do
see signs of mortar filling, then steer clear, or drop the offer price to a
suitable level.

The building was built in Victorian times, and little bits of movement are
expected over that time span, but not huge amounts. Good luck with it.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Palley
[...]

Anita

try www.homecheck.co.uk I found it useful for some initial information (an old coal mining area was my worry) although it does not appear to be available today.

as to asking insurance companies...houses are too expensive to worry about it being "sneaky" it sounds like a good idea and suggest you go the whole hog; ie. you need a quote to do your bugetting properly and you would like to know how the risk in that area affects your premium so, mr insurance company, please check your database and tell me what it says, don't just give me the figure your computer says.

good luck

BigWallop wrote:

OK. If you do
see signs of mortar filling, then steer clear, or drop the offer

price to a
suitable level.

All Victorian houses will have this, its not a problem. The way theyre
designed means they crack, and nowt will ever change it. Worries are
for when the cracks are large, or the movement substantial. Narrow
cracking and filling is normal and expected.

The building was built in Victorian times, and little bits of

movement are
expected over that time span, but not huge amounts. Good luck with

it.

Yes, inevitable and normal. Vic houses generally had minimal
foundations and no expansion joints.

NT

BigWallop

"newboy" wrote in message

[...]