Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1st year apprentice

On 15/09/18 09:06, ARW wrote:
OK, so he is 16 and only been with us 8 weeks.
His task was to put a 13A plug onto my blue extension lead. He was given
both the plug and the extension lead and told not to put the plug top on
until I has inspected his wiring.

Did he

1. Fit the plug to the extension lead correctly and leave the plug top
off for inspection

2. Fit the plug to the extension incorrectly and leave the plug top off
for inspect.

3. Have some sort of brain seizure and fit the plug top to a roll of
1.5mm white 3 core flex that he found in the van AND fit the plug top so
that his wiring could not be inspected.

Answers on a post card to PO BOX W4NK3R.

It's a trick question.

4) He did it perfectly and you made a helpful suggestion about a way he
could make it just a tiny bit better, for which he thanked you, then
made the tea and swept the floor?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/18 07:59, Robin wrote:
On 18/09/2018 06:26, Richard wrote:
On 17/09/18 19:40, ARW wrote:
On 16/09/2018 12:06, Richard wrote:

I guess that's the reasoning behind using various objects to
describe areas, weights, heights etc.
If it'd been a giraffe instead of a horse, I'd have struggled

Well they are 5.5m tall according to this.

https://www.driving.co.uk/video/vide...ks-car-window/

I suspect the people in the car have an IQ of 55 or lower.

A bit unfortunate that giraffes are herbivores.

The "safari" trucks at Port Lympne routinely involve close and personal
attention from giraffes.Â* I've never suffered anything worse than a bit
of tongue

OK I suppose, if there isn't a bucket full of saliva involved.

https://www.aspinallfoundation.org/p...iraffe-safari/

https://goo.gl/images/5cBX9s

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/09/2018 09:52, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 17/09/2018 19:32, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that charles formulated :
nah -- stand on the back of the horse then measure up, fall off - repeat
until bored or too badly injured to carry on.

None have come up with the obvious and risk free way to do it. You sight
up from the floor at an angle of 45 degrees. You adjust you point of
view back and forth, so the sight line hits the corner of the roof wall.
Then measure from the base of where you are sighting from, to the wall.
That distance will match the height - near as matters.

Can you do that with a 5m tape measure?

TBH Andy Burns gave the easiest and safest way (with no risk at all)
using a 5m tape measure.

I bet there is an app on my phone that could do what you are suggesting.

"Clinometer"

(Not looked for apps)

sMeasure. Never used it it though.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/09/2018 17:03, Tim Watts wrote:

It's a trick question.

4) He did it perfectly and you made a helpful suggestion about a way he
could make it just a tiny bit better, for which he thanked you, then
made the tea and swept the floor?

Trust me, it's not a trick question.

Although he was very helpful today and saved me quite a bit of time.

You know that Stunningly bypass in Leeds? No?

Well it has a HOV lane. Had I been on my own I would have had to queue.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 18:40:34 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Well it has a HOV lane. Had I been on my own I would have had to queue.

Does it still count if the passenger is dead?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/09/2018 06:31, Richard wrote:
On 17/09/18 20:21, ARW wrote:
On 15/09/2018 21:17, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , John
Rumm wrote:

That seemed to be a response after testing lots of cheap chinesium
extension leads ...

By the way, what is "chinesium"?

It's like feminism.

Look it up on the periodic table.

Depending on gender, that's bloody funny.

It's only funny for 3 weeks of the month.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/18 18:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/09/2018 17:03, Tim Watts wrote:

It's a trick question.

4) He did it perfectly and you made a helpful suggestion about a way
he could make it just a tiny bit better, for which he thanked you,
then made the tea and swept the floor?

Trust me, it's not a trick question.

You can always dream

Although he was very helpful today and saved me quite a bit of time.

You know that Stunningly bypass in Leeds? No?

I don't know it - I have only been near Leeds once - Seacroft.

Well it has a HOV lane. Had I been on my own I would have had to queue.

:-

How did he compare with an inflatable doll in that respect?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/09/2018 19:59, Rod Speed wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
news
On 18/09/2018 19:28, wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 18:40:34 UTC+1, ARWÂ* wrote:
Well it has a HOV lane. Had I been on my own I would have had to queue.

Does it still count if the passenger is dead?

Drain dead aka apprentice or really dead such as driving a hearse?

Clearly blotto, already |-(

Yes you are.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 20:07:26 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
How did he compare with an inflatable doll in that respect?

In any respect? ;-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 19:31:02 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Drain dead aka apprentice or really dead such as driving a hearse?

Really dead, as in either a hearse or killing the apprentice and propping him up in the passenger seat.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 14:39:43 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 17 September 2018 11:14:11 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
1. I don't know where you'll find a ref for it. It's hardly news that
the hotter for more of the time a cable runs the less its life is. Even
in the 1920s folk skilled in the art were entirely familiar with that.

Cable in the 1920s didn't have PVC insulation.

Lol, well done. I guess that's a start.

Glad you've learned something. Another might be that it's not unusual to
use 1.5mm MICC for a ring - because the insulation can stand a great deal
more heat.

if you have something informative to add rather than silliness please do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blimey! THREE o'clock in the Morning in Australia and Senile Rot is already up and Trolling! LMAO! (

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 04:59:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Well it has a HOV lane. Had I been on my own I would have had to queue.

Does it still count if the passenger is dead?

Drain dead aka apprentice or really dead such as driving a hearse?

Clearly blotto, already |-(

So, you've been up and trolling already for TWO hours, since 3 o'clock in
the morning in Australia, AGAIN, senile Rot! Is it getting bright outside
already? BG

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

it's not unusual to use 1.5mm MICC for a ring

if you have something informative to add rather than silliness please do.

Not wrong, but probably unusual ...

433.1.204

"The circuit shall be wired with copper conductors having line and
neutral conductors with a minimum cross-sectional area of 2.5mm^2 except
for two-core mineral insulated cables complying with BS EN 60702-1, for
which the minimum cross-sectional area is 1.5mm^2."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 21:50:42 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

it's not unusual to use 1.5mm MICC for a ring

if you have something informative to add rather than silliness please do.

Not wrong, but probably unusual ...

433.1.204

"The circuit shall be wired with copper conductors having line and
neutral conductors with a minimum cross-sectional area of 2.5mm^2 except
for two-core mineral insulated cables complying with BS EN 60702-1, for
which the minimum cross-sectional area is 1.5mm^2."

MICC is not unusual in blocks of flats. My comment was not a response to his mentioning its use.

NT