Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old computer backup media destruction

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Ta

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 September 2018 07:14:18 UTC+1, WeeBob wrote:
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Ta

I took a sledgehammer to the last HDDs I took down the tip. I'm sure using this on your unwanted media would deliver the same outcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Summary execution for you, boy.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty
nasty smells which could draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

You used to be able to get bulk erasers intended
for spools of magnetic audio tape, but it isnt clear
how well they work on digital media if its your
terrorist plotting you are trying to wipe now.

Even cutting up the media wont save your
bacon if the feds really want to **** you over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin H wrote
WeeBob wrote

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty
nasty smells which could draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

I took a sledgehammer to the last HDDs I took down the tip. I'm sure
using this on your unwanted media would deliver the same outcome.

No it doesnt with backup tapes and floppys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/09/2018 07:14, WeeBob wrote:
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Ta

The tapes - pull them out of the cassettes, tangle them all up, and cut
them a few times.

The discs - take them out of their plastic housings and cut them in half.

That will thwart any casual nosiness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

Floppies: if you still have a drive you could use a secure
overwrite utility. In reality, simply open the case and chop them
in half, which would defeat any casual reading attempt.

I had a batch of tapes which I unwound and looped between a
couple of door handles, gave a tug to stretch them, and cut them
into short sections. I don't think anybody would be sufficiently
interested to expend the necessary resource to reconstruct them.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

Floppies: if you still have a drive you could use a secure
overwrite utility. In reality, simply open the case and chop them
in half, which would defeat any casual reading attempt.

I had a batch of tapes which I unwound and looped between a
couple of door handles, gave a tug to stretch them, and cut them
into short sections. I don't think anybody would be sufficiently
interested to expend the necessary resource to reconstruct them.

I've dismanted hard drives - removed the disc and bent it with a vice and
hammer. Not6 much cance of it being read.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/18 07:14, WeeBob wrote:
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Ta

Do you honestly think anyone gives a ****?

Take em to the council tip and throw them in the landfill hopper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

Floppies: if you still have a drive you could use a secure
overwrite utility. In reality, simply open the case and chop them
in half, which would defeat any casual reading attempt.

I had a batch of tapes which I unwound and looped between a
couple of door handles, gave a tug to stretch them, and cut them
into short sections. I don't think anybody would be sufficiently
interested to expend the necessary resource to reconstruct them.

I've dismanted hard drives - removed the disc and bent it with a vice and
hammer. Not6 much cance of it being read.

Pointless given that a full wipe will work just as well.
And thats just as true of backup tapes and floppies
if they still work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2018 07:14, WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

5.25" floppies will go through a paper shredder...

Tapes in a cartridge, cut through them with a jigsaw. You could probably
do the same with open real tapes as well.

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Or grab a magnetic bulk eraser from ebay if you have lots to do.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/18 10:39, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/09/2018 07:14, WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

5.25" floppies will go through a paper shredder...

Tapes in a cartridge, cut through them with a jigsaw. You could probably
do the same with open real tapes as well.

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Or grab a magnetic bulk eraser from ebay if you have lots to do.

Indeed. I think you can make one out of old bits of transformer too.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 16:55:06 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

FUSH yet more of the usual senile ****

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 16:57:07 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

Any ideas?

I took a sledgehammer to the last HDDs I took down the tip. I'm sure
using this on your unwanted media would deliver the same outcome.

No

LOL Mr Know-it-all knows it all better! ALWAYS!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Chris J Dixon
wrote:
WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes
and floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered
unreadable?

Floppies: if you still have a drive you could use a secure overwrite
utility. In reality, simply open the case and chop them in half, which
would defeat any casual reading attempt.

I had a batch of tapes which I unwound and looped between a couple of
door handles, gave a tug to stretch them, and cut them into short
sections. I don't think anybody would be sufficiently interested to
expend the necessary resource to reconstruct them.

I've dismanted hard drives - removed the disc and bent it with a vice
and hammer. Not6 much cance of it being read.

Pointless given that a full wipe will work just as well. And thats just
as true of backup tapes and floppies if they still work.

but when the computer has dies, a full wipe isn't possible.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 07:14:18 +0100, WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

With the floppies it should be no problem to remove them from their cases
and either cut them with a scissor or, better, put them in a standard
shredder. Afterwards I'd just mix the bits and dispose of them by and by
(not in one batch, if it's REALLY important stuff).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 September 2018 07:14:18 UTC+1, WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Ta

Floppies: cut, melt or burn. Overwriting is far too slow, erasing doesn't erase the data, just marks it as empty. I've not tried mcirowaving floppies.
CD: seconds in the microwave, or break them up (more work).
Cassette: erase & re-use. Or melt, burn or saw them. Not tried microwave.
HDD: physically break the platter, bend, shatter or badly damage the surface eg by driving over it on hard paving.
Paper tape: burn
Open reel: erase (slow) or bulk erase (fast) & re-use. A saw is slow & messy. Melting is another slow option.

I've little doubt that spooks either will or already have produced something that can read any surviving segments on broken media. But in 99.999% of cases no-one has any interest in your data but you. OTOH I can iamgine a future scenario that might change that, and the media will likely survive your entire life if not destroyed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 11:31:27 +0100, charles wrote:

I've dismanted hard drives - removed the disc and bent it with a vice
and hammer. Not6 much cance of it being read.

Pointless given that a full wipe will work just as well. And thats just
as true of backup tapes and floppies if they still work.

but when the computer has dies, a full wipe isn't possible.

I wonder with what kind of contradictory ****, the senile oaf will come up
with this time. LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote in message
[...]

I remember reading somewhere that the MOD standard for destruction of HDDs
is to shave the oxide off the platters. Not only that, but the MOD want the
oxide back in a plastic bag, which conjures up the mental image of them
being afraid of someone laboriously re-assembling the individual specks of
oxide dust in the correct place on the platter :-)

For destruction of data on an HDD, even creation of a new replacement
partition and reformatting will probably deter casual thieves, though I
wonder how many of them nowadays have developed forensic level skills to get
round quick fixes like that.

You can't beat a six-inch nail driven through the casing and the platters
into a block of wood on the other side. Would a vehicle with normal inflated
tyres being driven over the disk on a hard surface be enough to damage the
platters or bearings enough. Maybe you need something with solid tyres - a
tank or a railway locomotive :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 September 2018 12:26:15 UTC+1, NY wrote:

For destruction of data on an HDD,

Install windows ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2018 07:14, WeeBob wrote:
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Ta

The fact that few people under 30 will even know what they are and
most computers now won't even read them, renders them artifacts.

Just chuck them in the general waste.

If in doubt just cut or scratch them all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2018 08:30, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Floppies: if you still have a drive you could use a secure
overwrite utility. In reality, simply open the case and chop them
in half, which would defeat any casual reading attempt.

Stack them like pancakes and drill through the (w)hole lot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2018 11:28, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 11:03:53 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 07/09/18 10:39, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/09/2018 07:14, WeeBob wrote:

After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

5.25" floppies will go through a paper shredder...

Tapes in a cartridge, cut through them with a jigsaw. You could probably
do the same with open real tapes as well.

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Or grab a magnetic bulk eraser from ebay if you have lots to do.

Indeed. I think you can make one out of old bits of transformer too.

Isn't a strong magnet sufficient, like one extracted from an old HDD?
Just rub it around over the outside of the tape cassette or CD.

Isn't there a powerful magnet inside every microwave ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/18 07:14, WeeBob wrote:
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Will it blend?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Chris J Dixon
wrote:
WeeBob wrote:

[...]

All you need is a working computer or drive docking station with hard
drives.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

Not in the sense that putting a floppy in one makes it unreadable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 03:51:30 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

but when the computer has dies, a full wipe isn't possible.

All you need is a working computer or drive docking station with hard
drives.

He talked about a computer that HAS died, senile wisenheimer!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is the data, if that old of any value?
I'd tend to dissassemble the flopies and make them unusable the tapes
though often have a metal back plate but without the devices to play
them....
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"WeeBob" wrote in message
news
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Ta

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2018 07:14, WeeBob wrote:
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and
floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable?

I don't have an angle grinder.

Burning them would probably cause some pretty nasty smells which could
draw unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Ta

Do you mean *real* floppies? Just put them through a shredder. If you
*really* need to destroy VHS type tapes, smash the box to free up the
spools and then cook them with a hot air gun or propane torch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You could just microwave them until the tape goes soggy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2018 18:51, Rod Speed wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

Pointless given that a full wipe will work just as well. And that's just
as true of backup tapes and floppies if they still work.

but when the computer has dies, a full wipe isn't possible.

All you need is a working computer or drive docking station with hard
drives.

....compatible (PATA/SATA); right plugs/sockets for data and power; *and*
the HDD has to be working. Maybe it was removed as it was buggered.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-07 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 7 September 2018 12:26:15 UTC+1, NY wrote:

For destruction of data on an HDD,

Install windows ;-)

Lol!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-07 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 7 September 2018 12:26:15 UTC+1, NY* wrote:

For destruction of data on an HDD,

Install windows ;-)

Lol!

actually for computers whose disk drives still function a live Linux
DVD/CD boot followed by a 'dd' command will, after an hour or so, have
erased the entire drive.

--
it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-07 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 7 September 2018 12:26:15 UTC+1, NY* wrote:

For destruction of data on an HDD,

Install windows ;-)

Lol!

actually for computers whose disk drives still function a live Linux
DVD/CD boot followed by a 'dd' command will, after an hour or so, have
erased the entire drive.

Well, sort of. It has been shown that a determined forensic expert can
often still recover data.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-07 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 7 September 2018 12:26:15 UTC+1, NY* wrote:

For destruction of data on an HDD,

Install windows ;-)

Lol!

actually for computers whose disk drives still function a live Linux
DVD/CD boot followed by a 'dd' command will, after an hour or so, have
erased the entire drive.

Well, sort of. It has been shown that a determined forensic expert can
often still recover data.

Well make it two hours and overwrite with another random pattern then.

The fact of the matter is that in practice that is MORE than good
enough. Only by - say - overwiting all 1s or all 0s can you preserve a
LITTLE information.

But if you are really worried about your data falling into the hands of
the NSA, you will alreday know this and be keeping it all on microfilm
anyway.

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-09-07 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 7 September 2018 12:26:15 UTC+1, NY* wrote:

For destruction of data on an HDD,

Install windows ;-)

Lol!
actually for computers whose disk drives still function a live Linux
DVD/CD boot followed by a 'dd' command will, after an hour or so, have
erased the entire drive.

Well, sort of. It has been shown that a determined forensic expert can
often still recover data.

Well make it two hours and overwrite with another random pattern then.

The fact of the matter is that in practice that is MORE than good
enough. Only by - say - overwiting all 1s or all 0s can you preserve a
LITTLE information.

But if you are really worried about your data falling into the hands of
the NSA, you will alreday know this and be keeping it all on microfilm
anyway.

The edges of the tracks remain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/18 08:08, WeeBob wrote:
On 2018-09-07 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure that is true with modern platter densities. I believe it
is much harder than it used to be.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/18 08:08, WeeBob wrote:
On 2018-09-07 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I'm not so sure. The depth of a write into the disk and degree remanence
is dependent on the written pattern.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method

One thing we seem to forget is that many disk technologies can cope with
bad sectors, and these are put to one side and un-eraseable and remain
potentially readable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/18 08:08, WeeBob wrote:
On 2018-09-07 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

So which PARTICULAR piece of data of the 10,000 written to that sector
do they preserve?

Get real.

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14