Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS Wood Bits?

I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

Saves carting another drill around. On my SDS , I can turn off the hammer
action. I even have a conventional chuck which goes into the SDS one.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2018 10:00, charles wrote:
In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

Saves carting another drill around. On my SDS , I can turn off the hammer
action. I even have a conventional chuck which goes into the SDS one.

Having seen someone drill replacement oak beams for a 16c house I think
the power and (unless cheap) clutch cd also be helpful.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

The slower rotational speed and extra torque can be handy for this
application. Its also convenient since the bits are quick to change and
don't slip in use.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

SDS is just the type of chuck fitted.
It is not a type of drilling action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

SDS is just the type of chuck fitted.
It is not a type of drilling action.

Whilst we are on the topic, what does SDS stand for?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2018 15:31, Bob Minchin wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

SDS is just the type of chuck fitted.
It is not a type of drilling action.

Whilst we are on the topic, what does SDS stand for?

Some German thing..

which has been called special direct system on some English web sites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

Whilst we are on the topic, what does SDS stand for?

Some German thing..

Steck-Dreh-Sitz = Insert-Twist-Stay

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDS_(Bohrerschaft)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Aug 2018 09:56:57 +0100
Roger Mills wrote:

I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

I used to use them often when my Hilti TE6A was my main drill - as
others have said, it saved changing drills.

Now I like the Bosch Selfcut speed bits for mutilating joists.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

I like the Bosch Selfcut speed bits for mutilating joists.

Most of my body* prefers the Armeg quad-flute wood beaver drills, the
stubby version used in an impact driver avoids the need for an angle-drill.

[*] one of my thumbs is less keen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2018 11:36, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

The slower rotational speed and extra torque can be handy for this
application. Its also convenient since the bits are quick to change and
don't slip in use.

Makes sense. But I hope they come with a clear warning to use rotate
only - with no hammer action - otherwise the spiral lead screws ain't
going to last very long!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

Saves carting another drill around. On my SDS , I can turn off the hammer
action. I even have a conventional chuck which goes into the SDS one.

Is that an adapter that plugs into the SDS or a change of chuck?

I have had SDS drills where you literally swap the chuck.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

Saves carting another drill around. On my SDS , I can turn off the
hammer action. I even have a conventional chuck which goes into the
SDS one.

Is that an adapter that plugs into the SDS or a change of chuck?

It's a normal looking chuch with an SDS fitting.

I have had SDS drills where you literally swap the chuck.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

SDS is just the type of chuck fitted.
It is not a type of drilling action.

Whilst we are on the topic, what does SDS stand for?

More expensive drill bits, ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

SDS is just the type of chuck fitted.
It is not a type of drilling action.

Whilst we are on the topic, what does SDS stand for?

Steck Dreh Sitz which translates roughly to "Insert, twist, stay".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 August 2018 19:48:30 UTC+1, charles wrote:
wrote:
I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up
soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a
wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

Saves carting another drill around. On my SDS , I can turn off the
hammer action. I even have a conventional chuck which goes into the
SDS one.

Is that an adapter that plugs into the SDS or a change of chuck?

It's a normal looking chuch with an SDS fitting.

I have had SDS drills where you literally swap the chuck.

Never use the Jacobs chuck on hammer!

NT

SDS+ & SDS max Tricky Dicky[_4_] UK diy 7 May 13th 18 12:23 PM
SDS+ - SDS Max adaptor? Nick UK diy 9 April 11th 18 12:19 PM
Will an SDS drill take SDS+ bits H. Neary UK diy 3 April 22nd 11 11:41 AM
SDS vs SDS Plus Chris Styles UK diy 11 October 17th 06 09:18 PM
SDS - DeWalt or Makita & Difference between SDS & SDS Plus Seri UK diy 25 March 6th 04 10:43 AM