Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Volvo C70 rear brake pads

Volvo C70 mk 2 2006 - changing rear brake pads.

The last time I changed brake pads was about 40 years ago on my MGB, and
things seem more complicated now.

I've got the wheel and caliper off, but I apparently need a brake
caliper rewind tool - on order, and I'll collect it tomorrow.

Can folks please confirm that I can't just push the caliper back with a
G clamp?

Also, I tried putting fine nosed pliers in the two holes and turning
those, but there's absolutely no movement whatsoever. Is it really meant
to be that hard to turn?

Finally, I released the handbrake before starting. Is there an
adjustment on the handbrake that I have to slacken off before I retract
the caliper? I'm reluctant to pull the gaiter off from the handbrake
because it's a bit elderly and looks like it will split. So, I won't try
unless I have to.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
Volvo C70 mk 2 2006 - changing rear brake pads.

The last time I changed brake pads was about 40 years ago on my MGB, and
things seem more complicated now.

I've got the wheel and caliper off, but I apparently need a brake
caliper rewind tool - on order, and I'll collect it tomorrow.

Can folks please confirm that I can't just push the caliper back with a
G clamp?

you can't ....stupid handbrake design in my opinion.....they should do
it the merc way ....
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 22:14, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
Volvo C70 mk 2 2006 - changing rear brake pads.

The last time I changed brake pads was about 40 years ago on my MGB,
and things seem more complicated now.

I've got the wheel and caliper off, but I apparently need a brake
caliper rewind tool - on order, and I'll collect it tomorrow.

Can folks please confirm that I can't just push the caliper back with
a G clamp?

you can't ....stupid handbrake design in my opinion.....they should do
it the merc way ....

Would that be the same "way" as the Porsche, Toyota (Celica/Corolla
Verso VVTi), Nissan 300ZX/200SX/others, many others. A disc with 6" drum
parking brake in the rotor hub. Just stops drunks pushing it around the
car park and although quite ineffective at speed there is always one
shoe that self servos when parked on hills. Not much better than the
brakes (2x 6" drums) on a 1958 BSA C15 and they were woeful even for a 2
1/2 cwt bike that could barely scrape up 70mph never mind a 30 cwt car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
[...]

whoever specified those as legal screwed up. They're as good as no handbrake for hill starts & hill parking, yet legal.

NT
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
[...]

nah mercs are bigger .....and work well which is more than can be said
for the volvo design where when everything cools down the handbrake lets
go....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
[...]

disc brakes should never be used as a parking brake........end of

why?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
[...]

they let go when they cool down.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
[...]

and you have to buy a rewind kit as the OP has found out....I could have
loaned him mine.....got it for my sn95 mustang which had a very bad
parking brake design which MOT testers allowed for thank god it always
just scraped it ...........hope to use it on my 2012 mustang when
needed.....
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
[...]

best to leave it in gear....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2018 14:32, wrote:

disc brakes should never be used as a parking brake........end of

why?

NT

they let go when they cool down.......

Never had a problem on my CXs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2018 14:32, tabbypurr wrote:

disc brakes should never be used as a parking brake........end of

why?

they let go when they cool down.......

Never had a problem on my CXs

Cables have stretch / springiness, which I'd expect to make the effect of disc brake parts contracting as they they cool unnoticeable. BICBW.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 23:15:49 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 05/08/2018 16:09, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/08/2018 14:32, tabbypurr wrote:

disc brakes should never be used as a parking brake........end of

why?

they let go when they cool down.......

Never had a problem on my CXs

Cables have stretch / springiness, which I'd expect to make the effect of
disc brake parts contracting as they they cool unnoticeable. BICBW.

NT

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=65.0;wap2

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...rolls-13346958

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 August 2018 08:16:55 UTC+1, Jimbo wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 23:15:49 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 05/08/2018 16:09, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/08/2018 14:32, tabbypurr wrote:

disc brakes should never be used as a parking brake........end of

why?

they let go when they cool down.......

Never had a problem on my CXs

Cables have stretch / springiness, which I'd expect to make the effect of
disc brake parts contracting as they they cool unnoticeable. BICBW.

NT

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=65.0;wap2

a case of a weak handbrake on a steep slope that lost grip when extra weight was added to the car. Nothing to do with it being disc or drum.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...rolls-13346958

just pop-advice repeated, and again the same cause, a not really adequate handbrake system.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 14:32, wrote:

disc brakes should never be used as a parking brake........end of

why?

NT

they let go when they cool down.......

Never had a problem on my CXs

lucky you

I *mean*, I never had a problem with the handbrake releasing!

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/08/2018 08:13, Jimbo wrote:
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 14:32, wrote:

disc brakes should never be used as a parking brake........end of

why?

NT

they let go when they cool down.......

Never had a problem on my CXs

lucky you

I *mean*, I never had a problem with the handbrake releasing!

:-)

one would hope not ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 August 2018 15:48:27 UTC+1, Jimbo wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/08/2018 08:13, Jimbo wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 16:09, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/08/2018 14:32, tabbypurr wrote:

disc brakes should never be used as a parking brake........end of

why?

NT

they let go when they cool down.......

Never had a problem on my CXs

lucky you

I *mean*, I never had a problem with the handbrake releasing!

:-)

one would hope not ...

Handbrake letting go is common on cars today.

NT
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
I've got the wheel and caliper off, but I apparently need a brake
caliper rewind tool - on order, and I'll collect it tomorrow.

Can folks please confirm that I can't just push the caliper back with a
G clamp?

I have seen a youtube video of someone doing that on an Astra H
rear caliper. The trick is to apply pressure with a clamp and
at the same time rotate the piston.

Some cars need a pair of rewind tools becuse each side is
handed.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2018 21:11, Andrew wrote:
On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
I've got the wheel and caliper off, but I apparently need a brake
caliper rewind tool - on order, and I'll collect it tomorrow.

Can folks please confirm that I can't just push the caliper back with
a G clamp?

I have seen a youtube video of someone doing that on an Astra H
rear caliper. The trick is to apply pressure with a clamp and
at the same time rotate the piston.

Some cars need a pair of rewind tools because each side is
handed.

I have a set like that in a nice plastic box for about £17 from ebait...

Volvo's supercharger + turbocharger Ed Huntress Metalworking 36 June 25th 15 03:57 AM
Volvo gear changing Bill Wright[_2_] UK diy 20 April 27th 14 07:55 PM
Volvo parts Muddymike[_2_] UK diy 8 December 22nd 12 06:43 PM
volvo s40 acceleration and wastegate modification video [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 26th 07 11:08 AM
CH Boiler Problem - Potterton C70 DavidM UK diy 10 October 6th 05 07:35 PM