Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Volvo C70 rear brake pads

On 05/08/2018 06:54, Peter Hill wrote:
On 04/08/2018 22:14, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 04/08/2018 16:06, GB wrote:
Volvo C70 mk 2 2006 - changing rear brake pads.

The last time I changed brake pads was about 40 years ago on my MGB,
and things seem more complicated now.

I've got the wheel and caliper off, but I apparently need a brake
caliper rewind tool - on order, and I'll collect it tomorrow.

Can folks please confirm that I can't just push the caliper back with
a G clamp?

you can't ....stupid handbrake design in my opinion.....they should do
it the merc way ....

Would that be the same "way" as the Porsche, Toyota (Celica/Corolla
Verso VVTi), Nissan 300ZX/200SX/others, many others. A disc with 6" drum
parking brake in the rotor hub. Just stops drunks pushing it around the
car park and although quite ineffective at speed there is always one
shoe that self servos when parked on hills. Not much better than the
brakes (2x 6" drums) on a 1958 BSA C15 and they were woeful even for a 2
1/2 cwt bike that could barely scrape up 70mph never mind a 30 cwt car.

nah mercs are bigger .....and work well which is more than can be said
for the volvo design where when everything cools down the handbrake lets
go....