Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Well, that saved a few bob

(Sorry to interrupt, with some actual DIY)

Our little used UPVC front door had begun to catch a little on the
bottom frame cushion, just it was about to close. Not wear, more likely
the hot weather causing distortion. The three hinges didn't match
anything I could find online, to suggest how to go about adjusting
them, but I could see a small rod, with a hex on it, between the frame
part and the door part of the hinge. Nothing I had in the way of
spanners would go in the arrow gap to the hex.

I dug out an old imperial open ended spanner, a touch to small in the
jaw, thinned it's thickness down on the grinder, so it would go in the
narrow gap, then opened its jaws up to fit the hex. A quick tweak on
the adjusters and the door closes perfectly now. Saved calling 'a man'
in and maybe £150. Spanner marked up, should it ever be needed in the
future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield submitted this idea :
[...]

Have I wasted my time with this?

The reason I decided it needed adjustment, was that there was like a
removable plastic 'wedge', sat on the frame bottom, at the farthest
side from the hinge. The 'wedge' was just sat or hooked onto the frame
molding. The door bottom was just catching this wedge as it was opened
and closed. I am now wondering if this wedge might have just been
intended as a transit / installation part?

A couple of years ago, I spotted the wedge just laid in the frame, as
if it had fallen out of somewhere or been displaced, so found it would
fit the frame bottom and I left it there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

A couple of years ago, I spotted the wedge just laid in the frame, as if
it had fallen out of somewhere or been displaced, so found it would fit
the frame bottom and I left it there.

Could it be a bridge packer that's fallen out? No doubt each extrusion
manufacturer has their own variation, but you should get the idea ...

https://google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bridge+packer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2018 10:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

A couple of years ago, I spotted the wedge just laid in the frame, as
if it had fallen out of somewhere or been displaced, so found it would
fit the frame bottom and I left it there.

Could it be a bridge packer that's fallen out?* No doubt each extrusion
manufacturer has their own variation, but you should get the idea ...

https://google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bridge+packer

Having looked at the link out of curiosity I loved this picture

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...31821978850427

You cant fault the algorithm - its certainly a bridge packer.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2018 10:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

My Upvc windows have these wedges, on the handle side on the bottom
rail. They are there to make sure the locking pins don't become
jammed if the window or door has dropped because of incorrect shims
that are used to use the glazing unit to structurally hold the frame
in an exact rectangle.

If this is not done correctly the lock side will droop and if it droops
too far the locking pins will not release.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns explained :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

A couple of years ago, I spotted the wedge just laid in the frame, as if it
had fallen out of somewhere or been displaced, so found it would fit the
frame bottom and I left it there.

Could it be a bridge packer that's fallen out? No doubt each extrusion
manufacturer has their own variation, but you should get the idea ...

https://google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bridge+packer

Having looked a bit more closely at the 'wedge' - on the underside it
is marked 'window widgets' 01452 300912.

It just sort of clips or latches onto the frame moulding.