N7RX

Default Well well well...another pressure tank question

I have an 80 gal. pressure tank located at my wellhead with a pressure
switch. Works fine. I want to move the pressure tank into the house, which
is something like 120 feet of 1.5" pipe "downstream" from the wellhead, and
leave the pressure switch in place at the wellhead. The goals are to
downsize the pumphouse by getting rid of the pressure tank, re-locate the
pressure tank to an area where it can be better protected from the elements,
and improve the in-house water pressure.

I do not want to move the pressure switch from the wellhead - trenching for
the control line would complicate this project by many orders of magnitude.

Another way to put this is: Can the pressure switch and the pressure tank be
located in different places and must the pressure tank be located at the
wellhead? Will moving the tank closer to the appliance improve the in-house
water pressure? Will it kill the pump?

TIA

PrecisionMachinisT

"N7RX" wrote in message
[...]

I see no reason other than increased head pressure and slightly desreased
life expectancy on the pump, though my tank manufacturer says tank is to be
within 15 ft of the wellhead IIRC--there might be codes involved so the
system can be shutdown and depressurized from a single location, I dunno
about that.......

120 ft isnt all that far for a 1-1/2 in pipe, is there any problems with
pressure/ volume at the present time ???

=======

Our system was seriously defecient when we bought the place, a 500 gal tank
and 3 hp pump at the wellhead but it feeds the residence via a 3/4 in pipe.

What we had was a nice spurt for a few seconds, and then pressure at the
house would drop to the volume/ flow that could pass through the supply
piping.........

We left the 500 gal tank in place, and installed a 80 gal bladder tank
within the home--while supply volume is still limited by what can pass
through the supply run in a given time period, performance at the house has
been greatly improved.......no longer does the dishwasher not fill quickly
just because someone flushed a toilet, etc.

=======

....BUT...

I have digressed........

Back to your original question--suggest call the tank manufacturer.

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

Our system was seriously defecient when we bought the place, a 500 gal

tank
and 3 hp pump at the wellhead but it feeds the residence via a 3/4 in

pipe.

Doh !!!

Forgot to add:

This was close to 1000ft of 3/4 in piping for the maind supply.......

--

SVL

N7RX

No, it works pretty well. There are times when I would like more pressure,
but the well has limited flow and pump was set to deliver about 5 GPM.

So leaving the pressure switch at the well head and moving the tank
shouldn't be a problem?

"N7RX" wrote in message
[...]

Harry K

"N7RX" wrote in message ...
[...]

Need a bit more information to be sure. What is the elevation
difference from the house to the well and is the house above or below
the well? This will affect the house pressure. You may also need to
adjust the precharge in the tank after the move. If the two are at
the same elevation, you will see no difference in the house pressure,
1.5" pipe is overkill for that installation.

As for remote location of tank and switch, I can see no problems with
that. The switch will still sense the pressure at the well head and
thus make the pump run just as it always has.

Harry K

N7RX

"Harry K" wrote in message
om...

What is the elevation
difference from the house to the well and is the house above or below
the well?

It's a level playing field.

1.5" pipe is overkill for that installation.

Actually, I think it's 1.25".

As for remote location of tank and switch, I can see no problems with
that. The switch will still sense the pressure at the well head and
thus make the pump run just as it always has.

Thank you!

PrecisionMachinisT

"N7RX" wrote in message

So leaving the pressure switch at the well head and moving the tank
shouldn't be a problem?

I agree with Harry K. in that I see no problem--I have a Flotec tank, these
are typical of residential bladder type tanks and follows is a link tothe
online documentation:

http://www.flotecpump.com/pdf/FP490EN(4-29-03).PDF

Ref. page 3 figure 1 of the the above .pdf document, wherein it states the
pressure switch and tank must not be more than 10 ft. apart.

For this reason, still suggest call the manufacturer to find out what they
have to say about it--Im at a loss, and so appreciate if you get back to us
and let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"N7RX" wrote in message

So leaving the pressure switch at the well head and moving the tank
shouldn't be a problem?

I agree with Harry K. in that I see no problem--I have a Flotec tank,

these
are typical of residential bladder type tanks and follows is a link tothe
online documentation:

http://www.flotecpump.com/pdf/FP490EN(4-29-03).PDF

Ref. page 3 figure 1 of the the above .pdf document, wherein it states the
pressure switch and tank must not be more than 10 ft. apart.

For this reason, still suggest call the manufacturer to find out what they
have to say about it--Im at a loss, and so appreciate if you get back to

us
and let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

At any rate, it shouldnt be very hard to move the pressure switch and wiring
to be at the house near the tank anyways.

--

SVL

bumtracks

Ref. page 3 figure 1 of the the above .pdf document, wherein it states the
pressure switch and tank must not be more than 10 ft. apart.

I vaguely recall the tanks do a sort of water hammer arrestor duty too,
reduces or eliminates water hammer/pulsing,, and a chattering pump.
Water is a powerful thing and has weight/inertia forces, that can bust stuff
..

Harry K

"N7RX" wrote in message ...
"Harry K" wrote in message
om...

What is the elevation
difference from the house to the well and is the house above or below
the well?

It's a level playing field.

1.5" pipe is overkill for that installation.

Actually, I think it's 1.25".

As for remote location of tank and switch, I can see no problems with
that. The switch will still sense the pressure at the well head and
thus make the pump run just as it always has.

Thank you!

Should be a simple move. Someone said there is a specification that
they not be more than 10ft apart but I can see no reason electrically,
mechanically or fluid dynamics wise why that should be. If the
manufacturer says so, well then don't separate them.

Harry K
Harry K

"N7RX" wrote in message ...
"Harry K" wrote in message
om...

What is the elevation
difference from the house to the well and is the house above or below
the well?

It's a level playing field.

1.5" pipe is overkill for that installation.

Actually, I think it's 1.25".

As for remote location of tank and switch, I can see no problems with
that. The switch will still sense the pressure at the well head and
thus make the pump run just as it always has.

Thank you!

I forgot to add. You should see no change in the house pressure or
supply. Moving the tank will have two bennies. Free up space in the
well house and make servicing the tank more convenient and easier.
What is the problem with your house pressure/volume? Maybe we can
help with that.

Harry K
Pat Keith

When I poured a concrete floor for my pumphouse I moved the tank about 10
feet away so it would be out of the way. Just temporary while I worked.
The pump would chatter off and on rapidly. I was told by the well guy that
the tank and switch had to be kept together.

"N7RX" wrote in message
[...]

John Gilmer

"Pat Keith" wrote in message
When I poured a concrete floor for my pumphouse I moved the tank about 10
feet away so it would be out of the way. Just temporary while I worked.
The pump would chatter off and on rapidly. I was told by the well guy

that
the tank and switch had to be kept together.

Seems to me that you COULD run a small diameter tube from the pressure tank
to the switch if you want to minimize the total length of the wiring to the
pump.

Before pressure/voltage or pressure/current transducers became relatively
cheap, the common way (in an industrial situation) to measure pressure at
something some distance from the "control room" was to just run some
"instrument" tubing between the guage and the point to be measured.

Small diameter plastic tubing that can handle household water pressures can
be had for little money. IF there is a significant difference in elevation
between the pressure switch and the tank you have to decide ahead of time
whether you want the tubing to be filled with AIR or water. (If it's air,
you just run it to the top of the pressure tank. Even works with a bladder
tank. And, if it's air, differences in elevation just don't matter.)