Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The lost nut

A small ebay purchase was delivered yesterday, which involved some
quite tiny nuts and bolts, plus assembly. So, sat on our electric
recliner settee I began assembling it, but working on my lap and unable
to get one of the nuts on - I managed to loose it. I have been wearing
thin shorts around the house for weeks due to the weather.

I probed down around the recliner for the nut, looked around the floor
- nothing, so I gave up and left the project one nut short. Part of the
job, involved some work in my loft electronics workshop, so up I went
and did that next, before having to get changed and go out.

My final act at around midnight, was to go back up in the loft and see
if I could track down a suitable nut amongst my oddments box. There,
sat on the carpet of the loft floor, was the the missing 1.2mm nut.
Trying to screw it onto my bolt, I quickly worked out why I had
struggled to fit it in the morning - the nut had no thread. Suitable
replacement found in my oddments box...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/18 09:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Thin shorts, lost nut... imagination went elsewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:43:21 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

snip

My final act at around midnight, was to go back up in the loft and see
if I could track down a suitable nut amongst my oddments box. There,
sat on the carpet of the loft floor, was the the missing 1.2mm nut.
Trying to screw it onto my bolt, I quickly worked out why I had
struggled to fit it in the morning - the nut had no thread. Suitable
replacement found in my oddments box...

Similar thing happened to us on Friday. Daughter, mate and I went out
for a ride on our motorbikes and we stopped off at a few places on the
way.

We ended up back here and when mate went to leave it appeared his
battery was flat! ;-(

Well, it wasn't flat as the off-load terminal voltage was around 13V
(it was pretty warm out) but under any load dropped to more like 9.
Put my portable Lithium jump starter pack on it and it fired up
instantly but pulling the jump battery off, the engine died straight
away.

So, as a stopgap I dug out a suitable spare battery to test / loan but
could only find one of the two special captive nuts such batteries
use, so we dived round to the local bike shop and bought a new
(dry-filled) battery. Whilst there I asked if they had such special
nuts in stock but they didn't but then I spotted one (and just one) on
their old battery pile. ;-)

They let me take it and back home we fitted my spare battery and
tested everything was working (like starting and charging etc) and
then I filled the new battery and after letting it stand for some
time, put it on my Optomate overnight for a good bench / forming
charge.

Whilst working in the garden yesterday I spotted a complete set of the
battery nuts and bolts I must have removed from a bike battery I was
scrapping and this has prompted me to make a special storage place for
such valuable things. ;-)

I thought you were going to say you found the missing nut in the
turn-up of your shorts. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:43:21 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My final act at around midnight, was to go back up in the loft and see
if I could track down a suitable nut amongst my oddments box. There, sat
on the carpet of the loft floor, was the the missing 1.2mm nut. Trying
to screw it onto my bolt, I quickly worked out why I had struggled to
fit it in the morning - the nut had no thread. Suitable replacement
found in my oddments box...

Sounds a bit like an apport. But it's very unusual to find the item again
in such cases. It normally ends up in some parallel universe, never to be
seen again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2018 16:41, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:43:21 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My final act at around midnight, was to go back up in the loft and see
if I could track down a suitable nut amongst my oddments box. There, sat
on the carpet of the loft floor, was the the missing 1.2mm nut. Trying
to screw it onto my bolt, I quickly worked out why I had struggled to
fit it in the morning - the nut had no thread. Suitable replacement
found in my oddments box...

Sounds a bit like an apport. But it's very unusual to find the item again
in such cases. It normally ends up in some parallel universe, never to be
seen again.

Peas and rubber erasers tend to do this. Especially when they fall on a
patterned mat.

--
Max Demian

lost a nut from my skilsaw Eli the Bearded Woodworking 13 October 2nd 17 03:15 PM
Locking wheel nut key lost GB UK diy 41 April 3rd 14 12:20 AM
How to tell a wing nut from an acorn nut [email protected] Metalworking 30 March 3rd 12 11:46 PM
toggle nut/speed nut Randy Zimmerman Metalworking 5 August 21st 07 01:37 PM
TV lost picture then lost sound.. Jason Electronics Repair 2 May 16th 04 02:42 PM