Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to tell a wing nut from an acorn nut

http://socks-studio.com/img/blog/Type-Chart-1.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
http://socks-studio.com/img/blog/Type-Chart-1.jpg

I'm only familiar with "JAM" nuts and "CASTLE" nuts. I see "WING" nuts come
in Left and Right hand thread.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I'm only familiar with "JAM" nuts and "CASTLE" nuts. I see "WING" nuts come
in Left and Right hand thread.

And Acorn nuts have pointy little heads.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:37:50 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

I'm only familiar with "JAM" nuts and "CASTLE" nuts. I see "WING" nuts come
in Left and Right hand thread.

And Acorn nuts have pointy little heads.

ALL nuts come in left or right hand threads.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://socks-studio.com/img/blog/Type-Chart-1.jpg

Castle nut vs. slotted nut: anyone know of the application where a
castle nut would be preferred? It seems harder to make without any
advantage.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/26/2012 06:09 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
wrote:
http://socks-studio.com/img/blog/Type-Chart-1.jpg

Castle nut vs. slotted nut: anyone know of the application where a
castle nut would be preferred? It seems harder to make without any
advantage.

Thanks,
Bob

You get a little more cotter pin clearance, with a castle nut.
I've seen both used in front wheel bearings.
They also used a lot with safety wire.

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 26 Feb 2012
12:45:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:37:50 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Tom Gardner wrote:
??
?? I'm only familiar with "JAM" nuts and "CASTLE" nuts. I see "WING" nuts come
?? in Left and Right hand thread.
?
?
? And Acorn nuts have pointy little heads.

ALL nuts come in left or right hand threads.

Not true! I have seen plenty with no threads!

Bare naked nuts? Yoiks, that is scary.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-26, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
wrote:
http://socks-studio.com/img/blog/Type-Chart-1.jpg

Castle nut vs. slotted nut: anyone know of the application where a
castle nut would be preferred? It seems harder to make without any
advantage.

The castle style gives you a bit of space for the folder over
legs of the cotter pin to live in, and for the head to live in as well,
so if the nut is in a tight space where there is relative rotation
(either the shaft/nut rottes or the housing does), this allows it to
happen without needing to make more space in the housing.

Also -- with the legs tucked in, they are less likely to hook on
clothing or skin of those working near the assembly.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sun, 26 Feb 2012
12:45:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
??
?? On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:37:50 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Tom Gardner wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? I'm only familiar with "JAM" nuts and "CASTLE" nuts. I see "WING" nuts come
?? ?? in Left and Right hand thread.
?? ?
?? ? And Acorn nuts have pointy little heads.
??
?? ALL nuts come in left or right hand threads.
?
?
? Not true! I have seen plenty with no threads!

Bare naked nuts? Yoiks, that is scary.

It's really irritating. You reach in the box and get a nut, work it
into a very tight place and try to start the threads only rto find that
it won't. You work it back out, and see that it was never tapped.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:34:30 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sun, 26 Feb 2012
12:45:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
??
?? On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:37:50 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Tom Gardner wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? I'm only familiar with "JAM" nuts and "CASTLE" nuts. I see "WING" nuts come
?? ?? in Left and Right hand thread.
?? ?
?? ? And Acorn nuts have pointy little heads.
??
?? ALL nuts come in left or right hand threads.
?
?
? Not true! I have seen plenty with no threads!

Bare naked nuts? Yoiks, that is scary.

It's really irritating. You reach in the box and get a nut, work it
into a very tight place and try to start the threads only rto find that
it won't. You work it back out, and see that it was never tapped.

Or grab a bolt only to discover that those neatly spaced grooves are
exactly ninety degrees to the axis of the shaft.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 9:23*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:34:30 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

* It's really irritating. *You reach in the box and get a nut, work it
into a very tight place and try to start the threads only rto find that
it won't. *You work it back out, and see that it was never tapped.

Or grab a bolt only to discover that those neatly spaced grooves are
exactly ninety degrees to the axis of the shaft.

You install those with a New York Screwdriver (hammer)

I learned that from a Broadway stage hand.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:30:55 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Feb 27, 9:23*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:34:30 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

* It's really irritating. *You reach in the box and get a nut, work it
into a very tight place and try to start the threads only rto find that
it won't. *You work it back out, and see that it was never tapped.

Or grab a bolt only to discover that those neatly spaced grooves are
exactly ninety degrees to the axis of the shaft.

You install those with a New York Screwdriver (hammer)

I learned that from a Broadway stage hand.

jsw

Naw, you give it back to the storekeeper of the shop from who
youscrounged it in the first place so that he can blackmail the
suppliers agent into a coupla "freeby" boxes so you can continue to
scrounge for personal use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 27 Feb 2012
00:34:30 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sun, 26 Feb 2012
12:45:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
??
?? On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:37:50 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Tom Gardner wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? I'm only familiar with "JAM" nuts and "CASTLE" nuts. I see "WING" nuts come
?? ?? in Left and Right hand thread.
?? ?
?? ? And Acorn nuts have pointy little heads.
??
?? ALL nuts come in left or right hand threads.
?
?
? Not true! I have seen plenty with no threads!

Bare naked nuts? Yoiks, that is scary.

It's really irritating. You reach in the box and get a nut, work it
into a very tight place and try to start the threads only rto find that
it won't. You work it back out, and see that it was never tapped.

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

Thise are called 'Pins'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

(...)

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

I had some taps, but they bolted.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:49:18 -0800, Winston
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

(...)

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

I had some taps, but they bolted.

Their lunch, or did they actually book?

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:49:18 -0800,
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

(...)

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

I had some taps, but they bolted.

Their lunch, or did they actually book?

I dunno, but either way, it turned out nutty
because I felt washed up and screwed.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 29 Feb 2012
01:45:26 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

Thise are called 'Pins'

Not these. These are obviously flat head machine screws - with no
threads!
The joys of working in a hardware store.

Goes in the collection with the 303 round with the primer loaded
in "backwards".
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:42:31 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:49:18 -0800,
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

(...)

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

I had some taps, but they bolted.

Their lunch, or did they actually book?

I dunno, but either way, it turned out nutty
because I felt washed up and screwed.

Shank you for clarifying that.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:49:18 -0800,
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

(...)

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

I had some taps, but they bolted.

Their lunch, or did they actually book?

I dunno, but either way, it turned out nutty
because I felt washed up and screwed.

Shank you for clarifying that.

--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin

damn, another OT thread

--
:3 )~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:42:31 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

I dunno, but either way, it turned out nutty
because I felt washed up and screwed.

Shank you for clarifying that.

Don't machine it.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mouse wrote:

(...)

Shank you for clarifying that.

(...)

damn, another OT thread

Ow!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 01 Mar 2012 00:54:50 -0800

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

Thise are called 'Pins'

Not these. These are obviously flat head machine screws - with no
threads!
The joys of working in a hardware store.

Goes in the collection with the 303 round with the primer loaded
in "backwards".

I have a 45-70, a half dozen 30-06s..a German 8x57 and a handful of
pistol rounds all with backwards primers, all factory original and most
military issue... Oh..and (2) 7x57s with...no primers.

"Dey built 'em fast in zee Old Country!"
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 08:43:47 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:42:31 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

I dunno, but either way, it turned out nutty
because I felt washed up and screwed.

Shank you for clarifying that.

Don't machine it.

While we're on this thread, I just got a load of linear bearings and
rails from Tianjin, China. I think they used SAE capscrews in metric
holes, and they forgot to deburr any of the standoff holes. Dem skruz
is fallin' out. Time to rework 'em while (wholly nondenominationally)
praying for the best.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:42:31 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

I dunno, but either way, it turned out nutty
because I felt washed up and screwed.

Shank you for clarifying that.

Don't machine it.

While we're on this thread, I just got a load of linear bearings and
rails from Tianjin, China. I think they used SAE capscrews in metric
holes, and they forgot to deburr any of the standoff holes. Dem skruz
is fallin' out. Time to rework 'em while (wholly nondenominationally)
praying for the best.

Of all the things I would be sure not to buy from China, linear
bearings and rails are right at the top of the list.

That is, unless you're building an overhead gantry to hold beef
carcasses.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:29:53 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

(...)

While we're on this thread, I just got a load of linear bearings and
rails from Tianjin, China. I think they used SAE capscrews in metric
holes, and they forgot to deburr any of the standoff holes. Dem skruz
is fallin' out. Time to rework 'em while (wholly nondenominationally)
praying for the best.

Of all the things I would be sure not to buy from China, linear
bearings and rails are right at the top of the list.

That is, unless you're building an overhead gantry to hold beef
carcasses.

Stand back boys, it's raining Elsie!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:15:00 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:29:53 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

(...)

While we're on this thread, I just got a load of linear bearings and
rails from Tianjin, China. I think they used SAE capscrews in metric
holes, and they forgot to deburr any of the standoff holes. Dem skruz
is fallin' out. Time to rework 'em while (wholly nondenominationally)
praying for the best.

Of all the things I would be sure not to buy from China, linear
bearings and rails are right at the top of the list.

That is, unless you're building an overhead gantry to hold beef
carcasses.

Stand back boys, it's raining Elsie!

....and she's spitting ball bearings!

--
Ed Huntress

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

Thise are called 'Pins'

Not these. These are obviously flat head machine screws - with no
threads!

I keep things like that in my "coitus interruptus" collection
box -- incomplete screws. :-)

The joys of working in a hardware store.

Goes in the collection with the 303 round with the primer loaded
in "backwards".

I have a 45-70, a half dozen 30-06s..a German 8x57 and a handful of
pistol rounds all with backwards primers, all factory original and most
military issue... Oh..and (2) 7x57s with...no primers.

Hmm ... poor QC on those.

Did the 7x57s have any powder (left)? Were they supposed to
have Berdan primers, so there would be smaller holes for the powder to
leak out of? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" on 2 Mar 2012 04:19:57 GMT

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

Thise are called 'Pins'

Not these. These are obviously flat head machine screws - with no
threads!

I keep things like that in my "coitus interruptus" collection
box -- incomplete screws. :-)

The joys of working in a hardware store.

Goes in the collection with the 303 round with the primer loaded
in "backwards".

I have a 45-70, a half dozen 30-06s..a German 8x57 and a handful of
pistol rounds all with backwards primers, all factory original and most
military issue... Oh..and (2) 7x57s with...no primers.

Hmm ... poor QC on those.

So, one in ten thousand is off. "Good enough for bank work." as
they say as the election's office here.

Did the 7x57s have any powder (left)? Were they supposed to
have Berdan primers, so there would be smaller holes for the powder to
leak out of? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

While we're on this thread, I just got a load of linear bearings and
rails from Tianjin, China. I think they used SAE capscrews in metric
holes, and they forgot to deburr any of the standoff holes. Dem skruz
is fallin' out. Time to rework 'em while (wholly nondenominationally)
praying for the best.

So, you really are screwloose!